M-1911 Loads vs. Marlin M45 Loads

PDA

345 DeSoto
January 26, 2008, 09:04 AM
I'm about to aquire a Marlin M45 Camp gun (.45 ACP), and would like to know if I should load any differetly for the Marlin than for my 1911. My 1911 reloads are not particularly hot OR light, but would there be any advantage to loading a little hotter for the longer (18 1/2") barrel? I don't want to beat the Marlin to death, either, as I understand that they are not particularly robust.
Along with that, is there a better buffer and buffer spring available for the Marlin? I've heard that replacing the 10lb Factory spring with a 21lb spring greatly improves operation. Any ideas? I'm not looking to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, just want to improve OA operation where possible. Thanks, guys...

If you enjoyed reading about "M-1911 Loads vs. Marlin M45 Loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
loadedround
January 26, 2008, 10:25 AM
The 45 ACP round is not a high pressure cartridge and as such should not beat up your Marlin Camp gun anymore that the round will beat up your 1911. The one exception may be if you are shooting a lot of +45 ACP loads. Just shoot it and enjoy. :)

GRIZ22
January 26, 2008, 10:36 AM
The longer barrel of the Marlin will give you extra velocity without changing any loads and will do it safely.

I chronoed some loads from a 45 carbine (H&K) and found factory 230 fmj or jhp will reach 1000 fps and a 185 jhp 1200 fps (all non-plus P loads).

I'm not a big believer in +P ammo in anything. If you want more oomph move up to a bigger gun.

345 DeSoto
January 26, 2008, 02:09 PM
GRIZ22,
Since I've only ever loaded/fired 230 grn FMJ I have to ask you if felt recoil was less in your Carbine using the 185 JHP? Were they loaded with the same weight/type powder as the 230's?...

GRIZ22
January 27, 2008, 10:49 AM
Were they loaded with the same weight/type powder as the 230's?...

These were all factory loads. Didn't really notice the recoil that much with either round condidering the weight of the gun. The 185 gave more muzzle blast but should give less recoil unless I somehow defied the laws of physics. You could load the 185s down enough to function the gun and the diffrence in recoil would be more apparent.

jfh
January 27, 2008, 12:04 PM
Many years ago--twenty?--Dean Grinnell did an article or two on hot-rodding the .45ACP for the Marlin Camp 45. I don't know if it has been published on the 'net or not.

Jim H.

If you enjoyed reading about "M-1911 Loads vs. Marlin M45 Loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!