How "new" is good enough?

PDA

ed dixon
January 11, 2003, 02:29 AM
Besides an obvious ding, scratch, etc., would you ever decline taking a new gun in a dealer's case and instead ask that a "fresh" one be ordered? If the only one available had been handled by a lot of folks but looked no worse for wear, would you hesitate to walk out with it after surrendering the new-gun price?

If you enjoyed reading about "How "new" is good enough?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
January 11, 2003, 02:50 AM
To me, "new" means 100%. If a revolver has been dry-fired a few times, and there's a slight mark or "ring" around the cylinder, I might accept this, provided that it's not severe - after all, the first time I take it to the range, I'll put the same mark there myself! But this is about the only exception I'll make. If it's in less-than-100% condition, I want to pay a less-than-new price. If the dealer won't play, he has a choice: order me a genuinely in-new-condition gun, or lose my business.

sm
January 11, 2003, 03:11 AM
Agree with Preacherman

Kahr carrier
January 11, 2003, 07:07 AM
DITTO.

xjer
January 11, 2003, 08:43 AM
The gun shop I go to seems to all ready have good prices. I would just buy what they have on hand and not think twice about it.

Mike

Bacchus
January 11, 2003, 08:48 AM
I'll go with the others. New means in 100% condition.

King
January 11, 2003, 09:11 AM
Wanna put my own dings and scratches on it. I say, Please go to the back and bring out a new one or please order me a new one at this price.

I might buy the scratched or mark one if they give me an acceptable discount. May depend on what my use for the firearm is going to be.

cratz2
January 11, 2003, 10:20 AM
For me, it depends on what type of firearm it is and what I intend on using it for. If it's a parkerized or stainless gun, I'll be much less picky than if it's blued. If its a low production rifle with nice wood, I'll be pretty picky. If it will ever be carried, I'll probably be less picky.

You can use these to your advantages with honest gun shops. One time that comes to mind is when I bought my new rollmark Colt. Came with the nice double diamond McCormick grips and one looked like a screwdriver had slipped. He knocked off $50 even though you can buy them brand new for about $35.

And my Ishapore (far from new) had a cracked stock and the shop owner knocked off $70 of $79 off the price.

If you enjoyed reading about "How "new" is good enough?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!