Leading vs. cream of wheat

PDA

hotwheelz
January 26, 2008, 04:45 PM
I know alot of us here also go to castboolits.com but I thought i would share my experiment with everyone here. Here is the thread talking about it.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=23767

I was reading a thread about using cream of wheat { cow} in my lead loads to help clean out leading and lube fowling. here is what I did.

OK here is my review of my C.O.W. loads in 45, 40. I went to the range this moring to try out the cow loads to see if what was being said was true I believe it works well smells kinda funny. I will show you some pics I took of both barrels before and after.
My .45 colt commander had about 700-800 rounds on of 200gr lsw tumble lubed with 4.5gr of titegroup. As you can see in the pics I had a lot of gunk in the barrel, which is a pain to clean out mostly lube in my opinion. I shot about 20 rounds of 200gr rn Rainiers thew it {not sure if I need to use jacketed ammo or not I loaded some lead rounds with the cow but didn’t use this time} with 3.8gr of bullseye and 9gr of cow. I brought it home took a picture before running a bore snake threw it and a pic again after bore snake. I think the pics speak for them selves.
My 40 smith M&P had only 200-300 rnds of 175gr lswc tumble lubed with 4.8gr of RED-Dot powder. The barrel wasn’t to bad to begin with but had some smears near the front of the barrel. I shout about 20rnds of 175gr lswc t.l. with 3.8gr of Bullseye and 5gr of cow. Just like the 45 I brought it home took a pic and then ran a bore snake threw it and took another pic.
It cleaned the barrels and I am happy with the out come of this idea and I will continue to use these after shooting sessions to help with clean up when I get home. Im not sure yet if I need to use jacketed ammo for this or if lead makes a diff. I will check it out more in the next month or so. I also am not sure how many rounds are really needed to clean up I put 20rnds threw each gun but it may take less. Thanks to those of you who brought this up it has been a great learning project.

the 1st pics is the .45 before going to the range
2nd pic is the .40 befroe going to the range
3rd is the 45 before the bore snake
4the is the 40 before the bore snake
5th is the 45 after bore snake

If you enjoyed reading about "Leading vs. cream of wheat" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hotwheelz
January 26, 2008, 04:47 PM
final pic is the the .40 after the bore snake

scrat
January 26, 2008, 05:49 PM
wow thats friggen clean

Roccobro
January 26, 2008, 11:30 PM
Cleaning my guns by shooting them??? I think I've died and gone to heaven...

Justin

dwave
January 27, 2008, 06:12 AM
Yeah, i would love to clean my guns by shooting them.

Quoheleth
January 27, 2008, 06:51 AM
"I just love the smell of cream of wheat in the morning."

Q

Walkalong
January 27, 2008, 09:25 AM
I had a S&W in .38 S&W. It's bore was .360ish or something like that, don't remember. Anyway, it leaded up severely with .358 lead bullets. I tried wax gas checks with the same bullets and it blew the leading out, stopped further leading, and left the bore super clean as well.

Wax gas checks are a real PITA and not for volume work. Super Grex was the answer for that. I have heard and read of using Cream of Wheat, but have never tried it. Looks like it works.

Real nice pics hotwheelz.

hotwheelz
January 28, 2008, 03:09 PM
Real nice pics hotwheelz.

Thanks i have been trying to get better with the camera I was suprized how well the pics turned out.

lordgroom
January 28, 2008, 10:50 PM
Went to the range yesterday and after working up a load of .357 Mag with Unique, I decided to test some COW. I fired 30 rounds that I previously caused a lot of lead fouling. My accuracy worsened after about 20 rounds. I fired 10 rounds of .357 Magnum pushed by 6.2 Grains of unique with COW to just under the base of the bullet. Fired the remaining 20 rounds of the lead fouling bullets and then tested 3.2 Grains of Bullseye with a .357 bullet because the case had room for more COW. I can't say which load was more effective but there was virtually no lead fouling when I cleaned the barrel.

This is a great discovery!

cgs500
January 29, 2008, 03:41 PM
How do you keep the powder and CoW from mixing? Do you slightly compress it while seating?

Thanks

Also, do you remember the weight of the CoW?

Went to the range yesterday and after working up a load of .357 Mag with Unique, I decided to test some COW. I fired 30 rounds that I previously caused a lot of lead fouling. My accuracy worsened after about 20 rounds. I fired 10 rounds of .357 Magnum pushed by 6.2 Grains of unique with COW to just under the base of the bullet. Fired the remaining 20 rounds of the lead fouling bullets and then tested 3.2 Grains of Bullseye with a .357 bullet because the case had room for more COW. I can't say which load was more effective but there was virtually no lead fouling when I cleaned the barrel.

This is a great discovery!

Walkalong
January 29, 2008, 06:39 PM
How do you keep the powder and CoW from mixing? Do you slightly compress it while seating?

Yes, any fillers must be slightly compressed.

lordgroom
January 29, 2008, 10:20 PM
I eyeballed the COW. I just ordered the Lee Dipper set and will post the exact measurement when I figure it out.

hotwheelz
January 29, 2008, 10:40 PM
I started out using the lee dippers .40 call took 5cc, .45 took just a little less then 10cc, but it took to long so I used my extra rcbs powder measure, Just use a air compressor when done to blow it out.

Uncle Chan
January 30, 2008, 01:18 AM
I do Cowboy Action Shooting. I take a 45LC, put 4 gr of clays and fill the rest of the case with WHITE hominy grits. Cap it with a 250gr RNFP. Here's the kicker, the bullet is accurate out to about 300 feet, the cases come out as clean as they went in and are cool to the touch, AND, neither the revolvers nor the Winchester 92 need cleaning. Top that with a light load that you can shoot all day and you have a very pleasant load. I highly recommend it.

Walkalong
January 30, 2008, 08:46 AM
Interesting.

Dravur
January 30, 2008, 02:01 PM
now I have to get a Grits loader for my Dillon 550B

Looking through the catalog....

lil ski
January 30, 2008, 02:57 PM
Let me know what Dillon says I'll need one too.

Master Blaster
January 30, 2008, 06:10 PM
This sounds great, I shoot alot of cast bullets, and find that Trailboss powder eliminates any lead fouling problem, even with soft lead bullets.

Cream of Wheat sounds like great stuff, but with any miracle cure ( a cure that requires no work) there are always side effects. You can completely and easily remove lead fouling using two ingredients found in any supermarket. They are White Vinegar, and Hydrogen peroxide, mix them an you have paracetic acid, pour it in a fouled barrel let sit 2 minutes and the lead floats out. The drawback is that its caused pitting in some barrels on rare occasion. I used it on two badly lead fouled revolvers, one a blued .22 that looked like a smoothbore, and the other a stainless .44 mag. No problems for me and the lead dissolved like magic.

The cream of wheat or grits, does it cause accelerated barrel wear?

Is there a possibility of a squibb sticking a bullet?

lordgroom
January 30, 2008, 06:47 PM
From what I have read in other areas, there does not appear to be any long term detrimental effects to COW. I don't plan to load every round with COW, just some "cleaning" rounds.

I also plan to use a powder measure to load the COW. I just meant I would post a measurement when the dippers arrived.

As for keeping the powder and COW separated... I filled the case to have a slightly compacted load but heres a thought. During ignition the powder will burn and the gases and unburned powder (COW) will attempt to escape down the barrel with the gas pressing on one side, the barrel on another, and the base of the bullet on the remaining side, thus forming a puck. I wonder if keeping the powder and COW completely separated is really necessary. If the powder and COW were completely mixed it might interfere with powder burning but you would see that in performance. That being said, I used powder, then filled the case and if there was some mixing I didn't get too worried about it. Just my humble $.02

Cosmoline
January 30, 2008, 07:19 PM
I wonder if it does that to your arteries too.

Walkalong
January 30, 2008, 07:25 PM
I used powder, then filled the case and if there was some mixing I didn't get too worried about it.
Need to watch that. It needs to be as seperate as possible and slightly compressed to keep it that way. AC

ChuckS1
January 30, 2008, 08:23 PM
So let me make sure I understand this. I use a normal charge of powder, then fill the case with COW, and seat the bullet as I normally do. What I want is a compressed load, correct?

hotwheelz
January 30, 2008, 09:01 PM
ChuckS1
So let me make sure I understand this. I use a normal charge of powder, then fill the case with COW, and seat the bullet as I normally do. What I want is a compressed load, correct?
Today 03:25 PM

Yes, but I didnt use a normal charge I went with a light load. I put my powder charge in and filled case just a little past where the base of the bullet will be when seated and called it good.

Walkalong
January 30, 2008, 09:28 PM
So let me make sure I understand this. I use a normal charge of powder, then fill the case with COW
If you want to shoot your full power load you will need to back off a bit and work back up. You have decreased case volume a little bit. Normal load procedure when changing things.

hotwheelz was, of course, talking about light loads, but this technique can be used at other power levels. It, well, if you use Super Grex, I don't know about COW, it can be usefull to stop leading of full power loads that otherwise will lead your bore badly. That was, I believe, what it originally was concocted for. I have used Super Grex for that in .44 mag and it works great. Winchester stopped making it, but I am sure there are equivilents for it today. It was just filler for shotshells. COW may work just as well, I don't know. AC

Uncle Chan
January 31, 2008, 12:09 AM

Well, I reload my 45LC on a 550B. On the third station, I've installed a case activated Lee Pro Auto Powder Measure. It is filled with grits. Works great.

41magsnub
January 31, 2008, 12:31 AM
Are these regular grits or instant grits? :)

JohnMcD348
January 31, 2008, 03:05 AM
I wonder if it does that to your arteries too.

Yes as a matter of fact it does to some degree

And also to your Colon:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Leading vs. cream of wheat" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!