Winchester Ranger 40 S&W 155 gr JHP?

PDA

txgolfer45
January 26, 2008, 06:16 PM
Found some at a very good price, even if I use it for range practice. Any experiences with this ammo? I'll be using it in my G23 and G27.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Ranger 40 S&W 155 gr JHP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fastbolt
January 26, 2008, 06:36 PM
When it was first released a few years ago our Winchester LE rep told us that it had specifically been produced to try and benefit from the market interest of some fed agencies who preferred lightweight 155gr bullets in their issued loads. I believe the target competition at that time was primarily Remington, who was marketing their Express line of low-cost, traditional hollow points. One of the folks who occasionally observed some of the fed testing said that 32 million rounds of the Remington load had been ordered at one time.

Apparently, the state & local LE market isn't all that strong for 155gr .40 S&W ammunition, meaning outside of the circle of fed agencies using it, as Winchester reportedly dumped a bunch of it on the wholesale commercial market.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money acquiring it, but with the cost of ammunition dramatically rising like it is, and the cost of Winchester's other commercial load, the 155gr SilverTip Hollowpoint being what it is ... it's probably going to be considered an affordable choice by some folks.

I don't use 155gr .40 S&W anymore, preferring to remain with either 180gr or 165gr loads, so I won't be picking up any myself.

FWIW, I remember being told by my friend who observed some of the fed ammunition testing that the 155gr load was a bit tough on their Beretta's. If I were going to use it in my personal G27 I'd replace the recoil spring assembly closer to the 2,000 round mark instead of the 3,000 round mark.

30-06 lover
January 27, 2008, 02:01 AM
I shoot the 45 Win Ranger ammo and have had good results. No failures and is accurate. Has quite a bit more kick than standard ammo though.

XD-40 Shooter
January 27, 2008, 01:25 PM
I bought 250 rounds of this stuff awhile back for $75, pretty good deal for premium ammo. This may not be the best stuff around, but it'll do the job. For the price, its a bargain.

shadowalker
January 27, 2008, 01:35 PM
I like 155 grain in 40 S&W, 165 grain is better if it actually develops the velocity claimed on the box (40 S&W 165 grain golden saber was 100 FPS slower than claimed in my case).

I measured the Ranger 155 at 1190 FPS which develops far more momentum than the 165 grain golden saber.

rockhound758
February 7, 2009, 05:22 PM
Reviving the thread as I also just bought a case of this...Ranger .40. Price was $12.99/box of 50, which I thought you couldn't beat (it was on sale). I didn't have any experience with it but thought it had to be at least comparable to WWB stuff.

Take care all.

.357 magnum
February 7, 2009, 05:40 PM
I prefer Winchester 180Gr Bonded LE ammo. Thank God I have enough Premium ammo at the moment though. You should see the prices have practically doubled in the last two months. Plus the fact that Premium Ammo is harder to get right now. With all that said I would scoop it up if its a good price. Keep in mind when it comes to the.40 there are very few "Bad" loads. Should be just fine for Defense.

The Best to You and Yours!

Frank

NG VI
February 7, 2009, 05:53 PM
That Ranger is basically the Silvertip bullet with the more normal copper-colored jacket, and sold much cheaper. I used it for the longest time, it is good ammo. I actually feel like it doesn't recoil as badly in my G27 as 180 grain ammo does, don't know why, guess I'm just an oddball. Something about the lighter, faster recoil that doesn't affect me as much.

It is a shallow penetrator, about 10-11" I think, but a great expander. There are plenty of worse choices out there, some are better, but the great thing about .40 S&W is that it takes some of the angst out of ammo choice that can happen with 9mm if you let it. Itis just harder to find poor performers for the .40, mostly because of the era it was developed in, the ballistics of it, and I think the very blunt bullet profile it requires makes for nice big hollow cavities that help expansion.

Cheap and available, get some!

Rock
February 7, 2009, 07:42 PM
Winchester Ranger 40 S&W 155 gr JHP is not the Law enforcement "T" series ammo. Cabelas carried it a while back too. It's not the same bullet they load in T series either.

rockhound758
February 15, 2009, 11:52 PM
It might not be the same bullet as the "T" series, but based on the ballistics information from their online catalog (see pg. 16 of the online catalog you can download from the link below, and the code for this Ranger round is RA40155HP). It looks like it's every bit as impressive a round, with more energy out of the muzzle. The ballistics are almost identical with the 155 gr. Silvertip. I picked up a bunch at $13 a box and consider it a pretty good deal.

http://www.winchester.com/lawenforcement/catalog/catalog.aspx

Deltaboy
February 16, 2009, 12:14 PM
It shoots good out of my Sigma VE

mmartin101808
February 16, 2009, 10:37 PM
First off I'd like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post. I've spent many years reading your threads and finally got around to joining. Now to the ammo. I got the ammo at a great deal from one of the local gun stores, because they were out of WWB, and apparently they had huge stock of the Rangers. I shot it really well, and with minimal kick out of my compact xd. I clean my guns every time I shoot, and I thought it was cleaner than most as well. I don't know if there's any truth to it, but the salesman said Columbus PD uses it in their M&P's. Since then I've fired 100 rounds w/o failure.

rockhound758
February 17, 2009, 12:53 AM
Hey Martin how you doing? I'm up here in Powell.

Yeah, I picked some of that ammo up at V's as well and will probably go get some more; hopefully they're not out. I haven't shot it yet but it's a great deal...sounds like it worked pretty well for you. I've got a .40 XDM and I'm looking forward to trying it (just been too busy to shoot the last week or so). The ballistics are pretty impressive on it, so if it's relatively clean and not a bad kick, I think it's a winner!

mmartin101808
February 17, 2009, 01:23 AM
rockhound758 I actually shot those rounds up near you at the powder room. Not to stray too far off topic, but do you know if they're done with the renovation? I heard they were giving the place a face lift a while back.

rockhound758
February 18, 2009, 11:17 PM
Martin:

I actually belong to Blackwing and do most of my shooting there, although I'll shoot cast at the Powder Room from time to time. As for the renovation, I'm not aware of anything they're doing, so I must have not noticed it. And while the place has clearly seen better days, I think it has a lot of potential especially given where it is. Lots of folks on the north side probably don't want to drive all the way to Blackwing, so the PR could really haul them in. Probably a chicken/egg kind of thing...they need to get some bigger money in the door to do major renovation, but the renovation is what's going to make the place appealing to others.

On a side note, my understanding is that they've also had some conflicts with their "neighbors" in the houses really close to the range. I shot there 20+ years ago before I moved away for a stretch, and there were no houses there. Now that houses have sprung up around them, I think they're probably under constant pressure to shut down--which completely stinks...they were there first. Also, they don't allow magnum calibers in there for noise purposes...kind of an uneasy truce with the houses nearby, I'd guess.

I shot some of the Rangers today, and compared them with the white box and a few other JHP .40s and there's a definite difference. In a very good way!

Take care and maybe see you up at the PR! I'll be shooting .40 and .45 there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Ranger 40 S&W 155 gr JHP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!