rcbs gold medal match dies

PDA

gunnie
January 27, 2008, 02:18 AM
any one own this system? any good/bad reports?

i am shopping around for the BEST dies i can get for accuracy, and can't decide between these or chamber cast custom dies from rcbs.

ANY thoughts as to which would be better will be appreciated.

gunnie

If you enjoyed reading about "rcbs gold medal match dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jenrob
January 27, 2008, 03:08 AM
I think the Redding competition or the forster ultra would be a good choice.

jeepmor
January 27, 2008, 03:28 AM
Are doing the full case prep work already?

Neckturning, flash hole chamfers, case weight/volume and so on?

What accuracy are you getting?

I'm tagging this one hoping it turns into the gamut of accuracy tuning of the cartridge itself.

paperpuncher49
January 27, 2008, 08:31 AM
Just my .02. While "deluxe" dies are being offered by many of the manufacturers at a "deluxe" price, I have on many occasions put three shots into one ragged hole at 100 yards with ammo assembled with a standard RCBS FL sizing die set (.308 Win/Browning A-Bolt), and done the same with a Redding FL die set (.243 Win/Ruger 77). It all depends how I am shooting on any particular day, and outside factors (weather conditions, family stress/caffein intake, etc.) likely contribute or detract from my abilities at any given time. I am more inclined to believe the dies used are less important than the components used and chosen during the load work-up process, as well as the firearm's inherent accuracy. I have another rifle that I have never been able to get a group as small as 1-inch.

Walkalong
January 27, 2008, 09:14 AM
I think the Redding competition or the forster ultra would be a good choice
Wholeheartedly agreed.
I have no experience with the RCBS dies, but the Redding and Forster dies mentioned are great.

But as paperpuncher49 pointed out, you can get really good accuracy with regular dies. Prep work, load, action, barrel, and bullet will all play a bigger part. That said, if you want the last little tiny bit of accuracy from a good setup, the better dies will help. They cannot, however, make a bad bullet or barrel shoot well.

gunnie
January 27, 2008, 02:23 PM
i am just begining to get a reloading set back together. in a fit if ignorance, i sold two rock chuckers, a forster neck lathe (discontinued model hand cranked trimmer base set up as a lathe), an adjustable baffle powder measure, and many dies when still living in alaska interior for 14yrs. the houses there are smallish due to heating issues, and with two kids still living at home at the time, there just wasn't space to leave it set-up inside.

there was also the consideration that factory ammo had branched out to nearly every base one could need covered. when i first started to roll my own back in the '70's, this just wasn't the case. now, with premium ammo from federal [308GMM] shooting nearly as well as a heavily breathed on case would do, why burn my time when i could be burning propellant instead?

then itself moved back to very rural tejas and set up 1' x 2' x 1" abrasion steel plates at 3, 4, 5 and 600 lazed yds from the back porch. he found that a butterfly sneezing 'tween hisself and the #6 iron could make the difference between whether the 168gr sierra matchking hit the 1' wide plate or not. also, to constipate the problem, there are two seperate tree opening corridors between that CAN have wind from both directions at nearly perfect 90 degree full value approaches, and no markers on a freshly cut hay pasture.

after a long hard look the 50bmg got ruled out mostly due to weight/belt fed quality ammo accuracy issues. the 408 cheytac was not as heavy, but allmightilly expensive, and came burdened with WAY high operating pressures and solid projectiles that cause untimely rifling demise. besides, both would not be very plate friendly.

the 338L seemed to fill the niche i was looking to fill. there was a great weeping and gnashing of the teeth spending 64 american inflationary notes ea. for five 20 packs of black hills 300gr matchking ammo last year. but the stuff printed touching/nearly touching 2 shot groups when the scope was being dialed in through a bbl that hadn't even been broke-in yet!!! it took nearly a box of ammo to dial in, R&R for correction of non-vertical scope reticle, and dial in again. and then.....

uncle sugar got to playing in the sandbox, and started to deploy the cartridge that the navy had for the most part pioneered on its own, and dropped. this gets progressively worse as lately many nation's spec-ops kids are adopting this round also. the latest midway price is NOW 110 per 20 pack. i KNOW that eventually surplus ammo will emerge and the prices will drop. but untill then i NEED to start reloading again.

i plan to use fireformed blackhills/lapua brass. neck sized only until bolt closure becomes an issue, then full length. so i will need both dies. bullets will be seated just short of rifling contact, if the magazine allows this. will be turning necks when i get hands on another old forster neck lathe or get a heavier unit fabricated. the old one had gotten loose in the crank shaft bushing and was starting to rub away on the extruded aluminum frame.

will be preping the flasholes, but segregating brass by weight, case volume, and case wall uniformity is, for now at least, financially restrictive.**

i had been hoping to go play long range with zak smith and crew to new mexico before the ammo co$t increase. so untill the milsurp starts to hit the US market place, this is the current plan...

i have decided on:
a redding ultra mag press
rcbs uniflow powder measure w/baffle and standard cylinder
rcbs/ohaus 304 powder scale

and am currently tryna cypher out the flavor of dies to use. as noted in thread posting ANY thoughts appreciated, have been outta the reloading game a long time....

gunnie

**as far as ordering virgin brass goes, see:
http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?search_keywords=.338+lapua+brass&category_selector=all_products&Click+to+Begin+Search.x=18&Click+to+Begin+Search.y=13

ldv444
January 27, 2008, 03:00 PM
Gunnie-
Just my opinion....Forester or Redding are a step up from RCBS Gold Dies. Forester are typically cost less than Redding, but I believe they are pretty much the same...top shelf. While I'm at it, I would opt for the Redding powder measure over the RCBS. I've been a RCBS supporter for a long time, but they are now making the Rockchucker in China!!!! That's communist China for pete's sake!! If you call and ask them, they will tell you they just buy the press castings from China and do the finish work in California. But, for me, this isn't acceptable. So.......I'm now supporting companies that only build in the USA. Who know's what else RCBS is making in China?

Welcome back to reloading. Hope this helps. Take care.

gunnie
January 27, 2008, 04:13 PM
as for the redding/forster dies....better in regards to QC?
dimensional accuracy? another feature i haven't envisioned?

pls expand.

"While I'm at it, I would opt for the Redding powder measure over the RCBS"

i am fond of the micrometer format adjustment dial, and the reservoir baffle found in the RCBS offering. prefer the OLD adjustable baffle that could also be shot off completely when finished for pouring powder back into the container. are these available from redding? i haven't bought the powder measure yet, so this is open to change.

i have bought another 304 dial-a-grain, however. so this is pretty much written in stone. VERY happy with this model:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=253937
posting #18

gunnie

gunnie
January 27, 2008, 04:16 PM
'cides, i have a hard time telling the difference between communist china and the people's republic of kalyfornia...

JUST JOKING!

gunnie

jenrob
January 27, 2008, 05:27 PM
gunnie
i am fond of the micrometer format adjustment dial, and the reservoir baffle found in the RCBS offering. prefer the OLD adjustable baffle that could also be shot off completely when finished for pouring powder back into the container. are these available from redding? i haven't bought the powder measure yet, so this is open to change.
The Redding dispenser comes standard with the micrometer adjustment and a powder baffle it attaches to the stand with a locking ring that allows it to be removed quickley for dumping.

FM12
January 27, 2008, 05:29 PM
Look at Sinclairs's line up of arbor pesses, etc. That ought to do it.

gunnie
January 27, 2008, 07:10 PM
jenrob, the midway product description for the "Redding Match Grade 3BR Powder Measure" sheds no light on how the baffle is "adjustable". same-o for redding site. anyone know how this works? from redding jpg, i get the impression the adjustable part is the level one sets the baffle at?

FM12, did a search for "sinclair arbor reloading press" @ google. got many hits from dealers and various forums, but no web site for mfgr.

any idea where i can get info/jpg's/specs for this offering?

gunnie

Walkalong
January 27, 2008, 08:00 PM
as for the redding/forster dies....better in regards to QC?
dimensional accuracy? another feature i haven't envisioned?
pls expand.
The Redding and Forster dies use a floating chamber, are made to tight tolerances, and load really straight ammo, thats why. :)

"While I'm at it, I would opt for the Redding powder measure over the RCBS"

Redding measures cause they are very, very good.

did a search for "sinclair arbor reloading press" @ google. got many hits from dealers and various forums, but no web site for mfgr.

Sinclair (http://www.sinclairintl.com/catalog2.html)

Sinclair Arbor presses (http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RERPAP&type=store)

gunnie
January 28, 2008, 09:23 PM
FM12 ,

the page Walkalong sent said these are not for full length sizing dies.

but there was a forster neck turning attachment there!

thanks Walkalong,
gunnie

Walkalong
January 28, 2008, 09:33 PM
Most Arbor presses are not rated for full length sizing. I have one that supposedly is, but it is a strech to say so. It is difficult. I tried it. I used it strictly for seating my 6PPC loads for for my Benchrest rifle using a Niel Jones (http://www.neiljones.com/) "Micro Seater" die. I stopped "bumping" my brass with it after awhile. I got my gunsmith, Colonel Billy Stevens, to make a custom sizer with the reamer he used for my chamber and used it in my little C press I got from Ed Watson years ago. It is similar to this one from Sinclair (http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RERPPR&item=09-850&type=store). At least I think he made it, it's been awhile. He did my last couple of barrels. He does excellent work.

If you want the BEST measure out there, IMHO, look at the Harrels (http://www.harrellsprec.com/) measures.

Stevens Accuracy (http://www.stevensaccuracy.com/)

AC

gunnie
January 31, 2008, 08:54 PM
Walkalong,

@ below:

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php?crn=49&rn=380&action=show_detail

the product description says, "120 grain, 200 click, 6 clicks between numbers, .1 grain per click."

are these much larger than the photo proportions seem to indicate? this is the only way i can see this having that kind of capacity. does this unit have a baffle in the jar? or does the design eliminate the need? bear with me i'm not familiar with this design or mfgr at all.

looks like THE KIND.

will the good colonel make dies from chamber castings?

gunnie.

Walkalong
January 31, 2008, 10:17 PM
It does not use a baffle, but the Harrel measures are superb. They are used by a large percentage of Benchresters.

I don't know if he does or not. He's a great guy and will be happy to answer any questions. Tell him Anthony from Montgomery told you to call. I used to threaten him and Brady Knight. I would use Brady's line. "I'm gonna beat your eyes out". But mostly, he would beat me, and most everybody else too. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "rcbs gold medal match dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!