Who makes small base dies besides RCBS and Redding?

PDA

uneasy_rider
January 27, 2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who makes small base dies besides RCBS and Redding?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
January 27, 2008, 10:44 AM
If I may ask why do you think you need them? This issue comes up rather often yet in the end rarely does the OP actually need them. I've loaded for semis, straight pulls and pumps using STD full length size dies with never a problem.. What usually happens is once the user starts camming their press over against the bottom of the size die the precieved need for SB dies magically disappears

Peter M. Eick
January 27, 2008, 10:49 AM
I think the Dillon Carbide dies are small base, but I have to call them to check. I use small base dies on my SuperMatch because the op rod does not close all the way with conventional dies.

Contrary to popular dogma on the web sites, SOME match guns require small base dies, which SOME folks find hard to understand.

My comment is try it with conventional and see if you need SB dies. If you do (like me) then great.

uneasy_rider
January 27, 2008, 10:50 AM
I am using machine gun fired Lake city brass, and I cant it get it to feed reliably in my M1A, nor can I get it to drop easily into my Lyman Case length Gauge.

I would be willing to try to cam-over, but no one has been able to explain to me how I set up to cam over. So I have just been setting up my sizing dies as explained in the instructions.

Roccobro
January 27, 2008, 01:07 PM
I too have a lot of LC brass and am looking for a SB die as well. I really don't want to make corrections to any finished round now or years down the road when I shoot it.

Justin

jerkface11
January 27, 2008, 01:44 PM
If you want a small base die why not get the RCBS or Redding? After all they do make them.

rcmodel
January 27, 2008, 02:24 PM
Cam-Over = All press frame flex, and linkage slop is forced out of the system when the linkage reaches full extension and cams over, or reaches center-line.

To adjust a bottle-neck rifle sizing die properly: (But not Carbide pistol dies)
1. Adjust the sizing die down tight against the shell holder.
2. Then lower the ram and turn the die down another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. (depending on how much flex & linkage slop your press has in it.)

You should be able to feel the ram "bump" the die tightly & "cam-over" at full press stroke without a case in the die.

If you are not adjusting the sizing die this way, you are not setting the case shoulder back all the way.

PS: Smoke a sized case with a candle flame and try it in your rifle or case gage. You can then plainly see where the soot is rubbed off.

You can then tell if it is due too the shoulder not being set back, or to the case taper not being resized enough in a standard die.

My money is on the shoulder!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

30Cal
January 27, 2008, 02:45 PM
I am using machine gun fired Lake city brass, and I cant it get it to feed reliably in my M1A, nor can I get it to drop easily into my Lyman Case length Gauge.

I would be willing to try to cam-over, but no one has been able to explain to me how I set up to cam over. So I have just been setting up my sizing dies as explained in the instructions.

I would try some new commercial brass.

The brass should drop into the gage. By following the die manufacturer's instructions, it should do just that, and then you'd use the gage to fine tune the die. If its not, then it's hanging at either the neck or at the case head. Try pulling your expander plug out of the die and see what you get. It's possible that the die and/or the case gage isn't right. You ARE using the RCBS shellholder with the RCBS die, right?

At the end of the day, you need to be able to close your stripped bolt on a sized case with only light fingertip pressure.

uneasy_rider
January 27, 2008, 02:47 PM
Everything works fine with commercial brass. I am having the problem with LC machine gun fired brass.

Yes, i am using RCBS shellholer along with RCBS die.

30Cal
January 27, 2008, 02:59 PM
Well, the necks on LC brass aren't all that thick, so I think they're not getting squeezed enough at the case head. Do you happen to have a micrometer? It'd be helpful to get some measurements at the neck and the case head. Here's what I have:

SB sized LC case
Neck 0.336"
Head 0.470"

Fired (just FYI)
0.345"
0.473"

R.W.Dale
January 27, 2008, 04:48 PM
Talk about false economy.

Go buy an expensive die set so you can use el-cheap-O once fired brass that was shot in god knows what

Roccobro
January 27, 2008, 06:53 PM

Go buy an expensive die set so you can use el-cheap-O once fired brass that was shot in god knows what

I dunno. After the first batch of 1k LC brass, I had saved enough to buy a SB die. There have been many batches since so there is that much in "savings" after the die purchase.

And then quality LC brass is not readily available except as once fired from a MG...

Justin

uneasy_rider
January 27, 2008, 11:57 PM

RCBS small base dies cost the same as standard RCBS dies, and only $10 more than standard Lee Dies.

So if you don't mind me asking, what are you talking about? Once fired Lake City Brass is much cheaper than anything else you can find.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who makes small base dies besides RCBS and Redding?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!