Shot my first 45 acp reloads today

PDA

RUDY850
January 27, 2008, 06:37 PM
shot 100 test rounds today. all went bang with no problem.the guns were my 1911 and my xd. was using 230 gr lazer cast bullets and trail boss powder

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot my first 45 acp reloads today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Roccobro
January 27, 2008, 06:40 PM
Congrats!! Wasn't it that much more enjoyable using your own reloads? :D

Justin

RustyFN
January 27, 2008, 07:12 PM
Congrats, theres no turning back now. You are hooked for life like the rest of us.
Rusty

ADKWOODSMAN
January 27, 2008, 07:18 PM
Great hobby--now you can experiment. Different bullets, different powders, you'll love the addiction as so many have stated in previous threads.

KeithB
January 28, 2008, 07:57 AM
congrats :)

Galil5.56
January 28, 2008, 08:21 AM
Sounds great Rudy! Was TB clean in your 45, and can you give us what charge weight you used? How was cycling? Glad to see IMR has listed data for 45 auto, and may give it a try.

Thanks.

ninja45
January 28, 2008, 05:41 PM
So, what load did you use on your recipe?

Ninja45

RUDY850
January 29, 2008, 12:57 AM
I plan on trying different powders and bullets. have some winchester 230 gr fmj on the way. haven't picked a powder for it yet.

The ones that I made with the trail boss powder I used 4.4 gr of powder 4.5 is max. it doesn't seem to be any dirtier then say winchester white box factory loads. cycling seemed just fine

harbinger_j
January 29, 2008, 04:12 PM
I started reloading this year and I remember the feeling when I first shot my reloads and all of them went perfect.
:)
I like universal clays for my 40's and 38's
but I am still trying different powders and bullets.

Master Blaster
January 29, 2008, 04:40 PM
Trail boss is an excellent powder for .45 acp if you are loading cast lead.
A hodgdon rep told me that 5.0 grains under a 230 RNL bullet would be about 820 fps, and is safe even though not listed in the data which only goes to 4.5 grains at 750fps.
Warning USE official published reloading data not data written on the internet on gun boards and always follow proper precautions.
I shot 100 rounds of it at lunch today, the bullets were 230 grain RNL cast made by Diamondhard, a local caster who is now retired.

Shot half out of my Kimber TLE II, and half from my Ruger Blackhawk convertable, very accurate low recoil load,and the only smoke free hardcast load I have ever shot.

gfmun
January 29, 2008, 05:04 PM
That is a great feeling, to make your own, and they work ! I started reloading last year and this year I am using my reloads in 4 major matches, 3 IDPA and one Carbine Match. Stay focused, stay safe, and enjoy.

thanks, George

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot my first 45 acp reloads today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!