Lee 2 Die set vs. Match dies

PDA

hsiddall
January 27, 2008, 09:10 PM
Well Im working up some more .308 loads for accuracy. Im shooting 168gr machings with rl15 rght now te best group has been with 41gr but Im working up once my digital scale arrives. Anyhow Im using standard lee dies and geting great results, .5moa @100yds and I havent even dialed in the load yet. What kind of improvement can be expected with redding or rcbs atch sets that cost 3-4 times what the lee ones do? I know you get what you pay for, so will I be puting 3 rounds in a .310" hole:D? Ok maybe thats a stretch but I did put 3 in a .491" group today...All input as always is greatly appreciated as Im just a young(24) pup that has been reloading for about a year only....

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee 2 Die set vs. Match dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jerkface11
January 27, 2008, 09:18 PM
If aint broke don't fix it. And it's kinda hard to say that .5 MOA is broke. As for dialing the load in more than that I don't think I would bother.

jenrob
January 27, 2008, 09:29 PM
At .5moa you might not see a difference. If you are shooting this good then the next thing I would do is get a gauge to check run out. If the runout varies from round to round or is very much then you might get better loads, but as above if it ain't broke. I would have to put my gun in a vise to see if I could get better than it does.
If you are capable of shooting tighter groups then try a set of competition dies (like off e-bay) if it doesn't get better they sell for close to what you pay for them.

30Cal
January 27, 2008, 11:49 PM
Spending money on dies will yield very little improvement (it would be difficult to measure). I use a competition seating die only because it's got a micrometer adjustment which makes it quick and easy to adjust between bullets.

ranger335v
January 28, 2008, 12:38 PM
The probibility of reducing half inch .308 groups is small, no matter what tools or load combos you use.

I have no reason to believe the RCBS Competition dies are any "better" than any conventional die sets expect for the small conviences of the side loading seating die with its micrometer head.

The Forster and Redding BR type dies ARE an improvment over most conventional dies but it sounds like your Lee dies are so well matched to your rifle's chamber that you would do well to leave things alone.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
January 28, 2008, 07:22 PM
You're getting good results and so called "match grade" dies are unlikely to improve things. You might get, if you don't already own one, a Metallic Cartridge Reloading book. There's information on there about seating the bullet further out, so it's closer to the throat of the barrel. That, in addition to checking runout, might get you something. But most likely, if you're doing that well, your next improvement might, and I say might, come from a trigger job if the rifle hasn't had one.

But with less than MOA, I'd be real reluctant to spend any more money. You've already exceeded the "standard" most folks want to meet. The trick now is to get that same group with 10 shot strings of 5 to 10 rounds each. Once you do that, you'll be doing something.

Regards,

Dave

jerkface11
January 29, 2008, 12:01 AM
I forgot to ask in my first post so here we go. Was it just ONE really good group and some other OK ones. Or were all of them really good?

stubbicatt
January 29, 2008, 08:18 AM
Wow. That's great shooting. I'd just leave it alone.

hsiddall
January 29, 2008, 04:03 PM
That was the best one but the average of the 20+ groups I shot was .6" and they were shot with ammo from Gold Medl MAtch to handloads and a box og Black hills match. Th worst I shot was 4+" do to a flier or two on my part. The remy 700p will always outshoot me I think my bigest areat to work on is crafting the perfect load as well as overall form..

jerkface11
January 29, 2008, 05:20 PM
I would just stick with those dies and play with the over all length.

fastbike
January 29, 2008, 09:37 PM
H**l, I'd quit foolin' w/ loads and just shoot. HOw much better does it need to be, or are you bitten by the benchrest bug?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee 2 Die set vs. Match dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!