looking for a load for the 45/70 govt.

PDA

young hunter
January 28, 2008, 12:51 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew of a load for a 500 gr slug to be used in a 45/70 . It will be shot out of a ruger#1 the slugs are orginally for a 458 but the size is the same and I wanted to make up some heavy rounds for bear hunting and just for shooting , I am one of those fools who like a gun with recoil . The only loads i can find are for the marlin lever action and have a light load . I might be overconfadent with the #1 actoin but i believe it is as sturdy a action as there is so if anyone knows of the loads or where i can find them i would apreciate it . thank you for your time .

If you enjoyed reading about "looking for a load for the 45/70 govt." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReloaderFred
January 28, 2008, 01:08 AM
The Lyman 48th Edition Loading Handbook has loads for a 500 grain bullet and 9 different powders for the Ruger #1 and #3 rifles. If you don't have a copy, it would make a good addition to your loading library.

Hope this helps.

Fred

redneck2
January 28, 2008, 07:46 AM
Yep. Lyman book is maybe my favorite. That was what I was going to post. If you like recoil, there are loads in there that will rock your world.

rcmodel
January 28, 2008, 12:28 PM
Both the Hornady & Speer manuals have Ruger #1 45-70 chapters in them as well.

Best just buy a reloading manual from Lyman, Speer, or Hornady and do your own research.

Even better, if you know what brand of .458" bullets you have, get that companies manual.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

SASS#23149
January 28, 2008, 01:16 PM
Cast or jacketed? or both?
I have loads for both,what kind of powder do you have on hand,if any?

If you enjoyed reading about "looking for a load for the 45/70 govt." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!