Comanche .357 Magnum?

PDA

Magnum.35744
January 29, 2008, 10:22 PM
Hello everyone:),

Now I know that this particular will get some negative feedback from other users on this thread. And I just wanted to point out in advance that I am somewhat aware of its poor quality, and other aspects. I was just here to clarify if this would be a decent choice for a cheap truck gun. Or even when walking through the swamps and not being afraid to loose this horrid pistol behind. As I would my other prized pieces. It's fairly cheap and could come in handy for a woods bumming gun. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Here's the gun in mind...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=91070058 :eek:...:p

P.S. Remember that I'm only looking for a very cheap and low cost gun. Nothing fancy so I'm not so self conscious or would loose nights of sleep over the lost of this revolver;).

Take care:D.

If you enjoyed reading about "Comanche .357 Magnum?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BlkHawk73
January 29, 2008, 10:56 PM
Only one I've ever hand first-hand experience with failed. Locked up tight and required a good amount of work to get it back in operation again. Unless you're carrying it with no intentions or expectations of ever requiring it to be used defensively go for it. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and find something better. If you DO need it and it fails...was it worth skimping on?
A decent quality gun, even used is a better option. For a little bit mor you can buy a decent holster that'll hold the gun securely. heck even a lanyard isn't a bad idea if you're worried about losing it.
Losing it...that can come back to haunt you too. Suppose it is dropped and picked up by someone less than lawful...

Looking at the auction...$300? You CAN buy a MUCH better gun for that price that'll serve you much better.

Shawnee
January 29, 2008, 11:34 PM
$300 will get you a used Ruger Blackhawk so, if there is some logic in spending the same $300 on this Commanche, it sure eludes me.
Am always willing to be enlightened though !

:cool:

Gator
January 29, 2008, 11:49 PM
$300 will get you a used Ruger Blackhawk...

+1

I wouldn't buy it just because that seller sounds like a jerk: "PLEASE DO NOT BID UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE A SIGNED FFL..." But if you really want one, here's (http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=82974) one for less.

SASS#23149
January 30, 2008, 12:44 PM
Many more and better options out there for 300 bucks.Used ruger revolvers,and even some 'smiths.
By the time you pay shipping and transfer fees it's a bad deal all the way around,imho.

19-3Ben
January 30, 2008, 01:14 PM
+1.

Used Taurus would even be better if your sole criteria is that it must be cheap.

markk
January 30, 2008, 03:55 PM
I paid $250 for one brand new from a shop. While it works just fine I wish I had spent more and bought something else...

ryanl
January 30, 2008, 04:22 PM
Dont have any first hand experience with them, but the Rossi's are relatively cheap. And if im not mistaken taurus is making some/all of their models now. So at least its backed by the Taurus warranty. But personally, i would not by a cheap gun period, know matter what its intended purpose. If i only had $300 i would find something used from a reliable manufacturer like ruger or s&w, or save money until i had enough to get one. Good luck.

Beatnik
January 30, 2008, 04:33 PM
I bought my stainless 4" GP100 used for $300. It was a police trainer, so it was probably kicked around a lot, but it's still rock solid.
Hit some gun shows. See what you can find in name brand before committing to something you're not sure about.

Jim March
January 30, 2008, 06:55 PM
Utter. Total. Junk. Period.

Search for posts by me on the Comanche for a much funnier re-statement of the same thing.

bestseller92
January 30, 2008, 07:15 PM
I bought a Llama Comanche III .357 new in 1985, for $179. I used it for years and then sold it to my brother. He still has it. It's a good gun; or, at least the one I/we had/have was.

98C5
January 30, 2008, 09:18 PM
Here:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/654/products_id/411534730

bannockburn
January 30, 2008, 09:31 PM
CDNN likewise had all sorts of used S&Ws in .38 Special and .357 Mag from $299 to $349.

Magnum.35744
January 30, 2008, 11:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies :). To be honest with you all I never did take a peek at the price :o. Just thought to myself hey arenít those cheap guns:p? Only to my demise it is 300 bucks:what:. I think youíre all right and I'll find me a nice Ruger. And save up. Thanks again, take care;)!

Moonclip
January 31, 2008, 01:32 AM
I believe the Llama Commanche III is a different gun. I bought one used in 2006 for $160 to keep my Llama .44mag company and it has been fine.

Jim March
January 31, 2008, 03:24 AM
The European Comanches were low-grade guns but usually work.

The current Argentine Comanches are vaguely gun-like objects carved out of blown-up British motorcycle cylinders by trained monkeys being weaned from their sad methamphetamine addictions while on roller coasters. "Ghastly" only begins to describe the horror of these objects.

You couldn't pay me to light one off unless said test involved a bench vice and 100yds of 30lb test fishing line. That strength would be needed to overcome the trigger pull.

rlt7272
February 3, 2008, 10:02 AM
Well I am going to chime in here and give a different experence. I picked up a Llama Comanche .357 on Saturday for $100. At that price I felt comfortable give the gun a chance. It was in great condition but looked like it had be shot farily ofter and not cleaned regularlly.

Took it to the range Saturday evening and to much suprise it fired and functioned flawlessly. Infact, this is a great shooting gun. Very accurate and fun to shoot. Now when I say it was accurate, what I mean is that it shot better than the knot heads in the lanes on either side of me who were doing good to get consecutive shots on paper much less in one general area.

So for me the Llama Comanche ranks up there with the Hi-Point Carbine as one of those guns that are getting more of a bad rap than they deserve just because some gun snob thinks that everyone should drink their coolaid and fall into line with only the major manufactures.

In fact I have had good experiences with several "low budget" guns:

Hi-Point
Heritage (Rough Rider)
NEF/H&R
Rossi (rifles and pistols)
Star
and now LLama

These are all guns that alot of gun experts would not touch.

Jamesmb
February 3, 2008, 10:52 AM
Yes you will find ALOT of MISINFORMATION on the highroad by very OPINIONATED so called EXPERTS. It abounds.

hags
February 3, 2008, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't buy it just because that seller sounds like a jerk: "PLEASE DO NOT BID UNLESS YOU ALREADY HAVE A SIGNED FFL..." But if you really want one, here's one for less.

How does that statement constitute sounding like a jerk?

I have had some experience with these revolvers. Better to buy a proven USED gun than an unknown of lesser quality. Let's just leave it at that.
:evil:

Jim March
February 3, 2008, 04:13 PM
I handled several at the Reno NRA gunshow a few years back. You'd think they'd have brought good ones to that sort of venue. The ones I saw were flat-out ghastly, both cosmetically and as shooters - endshake was present and over the top, alignment was poor, trigger feel was junk.

Again: that was their best effort, I would assume?

Hawk
February 3, 2008, 05:44 PM
How does that statement constitute sounding like a jerk?

Of the few FFLs I use for transfers none will provide you with a ream of signed copies of their license on the chance that you'll find a deal.

The FFL is faxed to a specific dealer on specific request. Asking for something that a good number of people simply can't get would push the jerk-meter to the right of center.

There are a few surefire methods to insure I'll not bid on a given seller's auctions. FFL in hand tops the list.

wheelgunfan
February 3, 2008, 10:37 PM
I have asked around at the Gun Show this weekend in Florida...verdict-JUNK

rlt7272
February 4, 2008, 12:37 PM
Well the one that I have is far from junk, it may not be as pretty as a Colt or as widely used as a Smith, but I am satisfied with it.

Magnum.35744
February 4, 2008, 06:53 PM
Hey just one more thing. I was looking at some auction sites and they had the same gun only in .22 LR:eek:? I know you guys think their crap and junk, but hey what do you think about a cheap .22? Kind of like a Saturday night special:o?

Moonclip
February 5, 2008, 05:35 AM
J.March, not trying to flame but I am actually curious. Do you consider the EURO Commanches "low-grade" due to personal experience from firing and owning one?

On my .357 for example, the ejector rod, when pushing it in and out feels glass smooth. The adj. sights are nicely rounded off and it also has some interesting engineering,note how the hammer rises and falls while cocking/decocking one slowly, it's an interesting safety feature.

I did know someone howeve that blew up a .44mag Llama Super Commanche firing Ruger only reloads out of it! I'd expect the same in a S&W too though.

dogngun
February 5, 2008, 09:39 AM
I'm one of the few people in this thread who actually owned a Rossi, aned is not just spouting off some stupid crap.
I bought a used one, a stainless .357 magnum 4" with adjustable sights about 13 years ago to teach my wife to shoot.
It worked fine, every time, was easy to shoot and was very accurate. I wish I had kept it.
I paid about $140 for it, and I'd buy one again in a minute.
FWIW, I have been shooting handguns for nearly 40 uyears, and my revolvers are now all S&W's, but I'm again considering a used Rossi, this one a snubby.

Mine was first rate.
There are a lot of big mouth idiots on the internet, and quite a few on this site.

mark

Jim March
February 5, 2008, 11:15 AM
Moonclip: over the years, Llama (makers of the Euro Comanche) varied their quality considerably. Some are noted as having simply soft metal, other times they produced guns every bit as good as an S&W.

All gunmakers tend to vary their quality over time but my understanding is that Llama varied more than, say, S&W or Ruger.

Then again, Charter Arms/Charco/etc. quality went up and down like a dang rollercoaster and if you know what you're looking at, the best of the 38s is of higher quality than 90% of the S&Ws out there.

So. I have no doubt that good Llamas or Euro Comanches exist.

Dogngun: Rossis are Brazilian (and now owned by Taurus). Even prior to the Taurus buyout, they weren't half bad, and were Cadillacs compared to the current Argentine Comanches.

Sigh.

Look, guys, this is about odds. OK? Name the worst guns imaginable, RG or something, and you might actually end up with something decent.

But...for God's sake, these are friggin' *GUNS*, arright? One, we're talking about something that might save your butt one day. Two, it's supposed to hold a controlled explosion. All things considered, this ain't a place to go extreme budget and hope for the best.

Your odds of getting a decent S&W or Ruger, even 30-yr-old used, is so much better than an Argentine Comanche it ain't even funny. And the price won't be all that different. If you're on a budget, instead of buying new junk buy used quality and if cash is still tight, hunt for something with some holster wear. It'll take some time, some pawn shop crawling, some gun shows, but sub-$200 quality wheelguns with a shiny muzzle because some security guard carried it with the same ammo for 30 friggin' years are out there!!!

Run the checkout to spot 'em for sure.

Does this make sense?

Moonclip
February 6, 2008, 05:23 AM
I agree totally with variable QC in spanish and Brazilian guns as well as Charter Arms, I've seen it too many times. Out of curiosity who here has owned and fired a Commanche? I had an older Llama .22lr snub made in 1965, never did figure out the model, sort of a copy of an I frame S&W. It got sold off mainly because it shot about 1 foot above POA!

rlt7272
February 6, 2008, 10:40 AM
I have one that I bought just last Saturday so my time with it is limited. However, I did run thru 150 rounds of 38 and 100 rounds of 357 (American Eagle, pretty mild stuff). Other than having to readjust the sights, mine did well. I was able to keep head shot groups (on the man size targets) at 15 yards no problem.

Jim March
February 6, 2008, 06:04 PM
Other than having to readjust the sights

Sigh.

OK. Goblins are coming...they're ahead, they're behind, it's lookin' bad.

You pull out a Comanche.

Are you absolutely sure the sights are still dead on? Or have they wiggled?

How much confidence do you now have? And will that confidence (what's left of it) be enough to cause the aforementioned goblins to go away without a fight?

Buy good guns.

Even if all you can afford is a good gun with some honest holster wear.

rlt7272
February 6, 2008, 11:59 PM
You misunderstood. I simply adjusted the sights after shooting a few rounds. Nothing was loose or broken. You are too quick on the trigger with your goblins comment. Have you never had to adjsut the sights on a gun that you purchased? If not you are very lucky man. I however believe that not all shooters are the same and that sometimes sights need to be adjusted, hence the invention of adjustable sights. I would not call this the results of "goblins".

Also, they must keep all of those "holster wear honeys" you speak of in the same dream world where your goblins live. The author was not asking about a full time carry piece. He was asking about a truck gun. The Llama fits that description, period.

By the way, how do you know that I did not buy a good gun. Have you seen it? or are you using some kind of gun esp to base your comment? Are you saying that loose sights only happen on inexpensive guns? Can you answer why S&W, Ruger, and the others have repair centers? If there guns are of superior quality, why would you need them? You are beginning to take being a gun snob to a whole new level.

While you are bashing my choice of guns might as well hit the cars I drive (Chevy, Dodge and Honda). They are not the top of the line so they must be crap also, right?

mountaindrew
February 7, 2008, 12:09 AM
If you want an uber-cheap revolver that might actually work, I gad a good experience with an E.A.A. Windicator in .357 that I bought for about $150. It was heavy and ugly, but it worked and was reasonably accurate. remarkably good grip too, for my hands (similar to some older colt grips with the little pinky cut-out at the bottom)

Jim March
February 7, 2008, 12:42 AM
Ever read what happens when you shoot 2,000, 3,000 rounds tops of 357 through a Windicator?

They work real good...but the metal is soft. Oops. Other than that, they really are good guns. If you only shoot a couple hundred shots a year, you'll never notice a difference functionally between them and an S&W.

mountaindrew
February 7, 2008, 01:15 AM
I had read that while the frame on the .38 was cheap alloy, the .357 frame was better steel. Thats whay it was so heavy.

Either way, I am one of those people who only shoot a couple hundred rounds a year out of most of my guns, so I would be ok either way!

Ps I ended up guving the gun to my brother because it was spending to much time in my safe. I think he has taken it out maybe two or three times in the two years since I gave it to him. (He is not really a gun person. He has gone with me a few times, but not as excited about shooting as I am.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Comanche .357 Magnum?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!