Just picked up USPc .40..LOVE it, but a few Qs.

PDA

CPshooter
January 30, 2008, 12:07 PM
I had a few Qs about my new USPc .40:

- Is dry firing bad for the gun?

- If you pull the trigger while it is disassembled, or allow the hammer to snap forward while it's disassembled, can it damage anything?

(Some guy on the HKpro forums that made a tutorial for an LEM conversion said that if you do this, it WILL damage the frame..makes me nervous because i might have done it on accident, but can't remember)

- Anything else I should know about it?

Hopefully I can get ahold of a digital camera and show off this beast. This is the most rock-solid, beautiful, and functional polymer pistol i've ever owned. The fit and finish is phenomenal for a polymer service-type pistol. I never knew why H&K got so much praise until now that i finally bought one for myself. You can tell as soon as you hold one the first time that it's something special. It just feels right:) I didn't buy into the hype until I held one and took it apart. I've owned lots of polymer service pistols (Glocks, XDs, P99, etc) and my USPc .40 makes me the happiest! I'd take it over the others in a heartbeat.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just picked up USPc .40..LOVE it, but a few Qs." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gudel
January 30, 2008, 09:11 PM
You should use a snap cap for it.

Why would you want to pull the trigger when the slide is off? The hammer does not snap forward when disassembling by itself. You need to pull the trigger to do this. My suggestion, don't. It's not because the gun can't take it, it's just the matter why do it unless it's needed basis.

One thing you should know about, you won't need gunsmith for extractor, reliability work, or carry package or any other bullcrap. Just shoot it.
Take the 'break-in' out of your dictionary. You won't need it with this gun.

Princi
January 30, 2008, 09:22 PM
I seriously doubt if dry-firing would damage it. I have the Elite in 9mm, Expert in 45, and P30 in 9mm. Oh, I also have the Carbine in 45.

I would not pull the trigger on any pistol with the slide removed. In fact (since I do trigger work), I have a special tool that fits on the frame in place of the slide for the hammer to strike against when working on 1911's.

I doubt if doing it a couple of times would do a whole lot of damage, but I wouldn't make a habit out of it.

birdbustr
January 30, 2008, 09:32 PM
I've had my H&K compact .40cal since 96' and I've done it. Not anything excessive, but I've never thought anything could come of it. I wouldn't worry about it, the H&K is a solid pistol, and you paid for that I would guess too. Only thing you will find is that the spring retaining ring will go MIA one of these days when you come home from the range. Not to worry, it fires just fine without it, but it makes reassembly require a little more patience.

CPshooter
January 31, 2008, 12:00 AM
Only thing you will find is that the spring retaining ring will go MIA one of these days when you come home from the range. Not to worry, it fires just fine without it, but it makes reassembly require a little more patience.Say what? Which spring does this ring retain now?? Doesn't sound like a good thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just picked up USPc .40..LOVE it, but a few Qs." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!