Do I need to get a shellholder set

PDA

Hiaboo
January 30, 2008, 03:05 PM
For the lee challenger anniversary kit? I'll be doing .223 expect a "is my buy list good?" thread from me soon! :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Do I need to get a shellholder set" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scrat
January 30, 2008, 03:10 PM
when you purchase a die set from lee it comes with a dipper and shell holder. just read the die sets.

SASS#23149
January 30, 2008, 05:59 PM
Other brands don't include the shellholder,so it depends on the dies you buy.
A wholed set? no. Just the ones for the calibers you're gonna reload.

lordgroom
January 30, 2008, 06:49 PM
I use a progressive press and a shellholder set would seem unnecessary... however I did see a post in the invention sticky using shellholder in impact pullers and that works really well. I will invest in some shellholders in the calibers I relaod, but a set from Lee might be just as cheap.

Walkalong
January 30, 2008, 07:29 PM
I use a progressive, but prime with an RCBS hand primer, so I have shellholders for all my calibers. It doesn't hurt to have them and Lee shellholders are inexpensive.

rcmodel
January 31, 2008, 01:00 PM
+1

I keep a shell-holder in every die box with the dies.

And I also have Lee universal assortment set.

I use them with my RCBS hand primer tool.

And I also use them in my old hammer-type bullet puller when the need arises.
They work much better then the O-ring aluminum collets that came with it.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

jenrob
January 31, 2008, 07:02 PM
And I also use them in my old hammer-type bullet puller when the need arises.
They work much better then the O-ring aluminum collets that came with it.
Just a little thought on this I was doing this til I heard of another that had one go off and rather than blowing out the back of the collet the shell holder did it's job and held the shell and the rest blow the case and hammer to pieces. Needless to say I went back to the collets.

As for shell holders the Lee set is inexpensive I use it for my RCBS hand primer then I have got a Redding shell holder in every die box I have. I bought the Redding's to see if there was a difference. The lee shell holders would let the brass tilt a little on some cases and would catch on the expander on rifle and on the edge of the dies on pistol. This doesn't happen all the time but found that the redding was well worth the extra $'s.

Grandpa Shooter
February 1, 2008, 02:07 AM
It's cheaper to buy the set than to buy them individually. Having them will come in handy when you move up and out into the whole world of reloading.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do I need to get a shellholder set" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!