Case Marking

PDA

moooose102
January 31, 2008, 11:32 AM
how do you guys mark your cases when relaoding? what i mean is how do you mark them to know how many times each case has been reloaded. or don't you? i was filing a notch in the outside of the rim, but sometimes i am double notching as i file (file slips). kind of defeats the purpose. i thought about using an automatic center punch, but i am not sure if the punch will go away with time (as it repeatedly gets slammed back against the bolt). looking for a good sugestion.

If you enjoyed reading about "Case Marking" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jsconnelly
January 31, 2008, 11:52 AM
I just mark my loads with a sharpie to separate mine from other range brass. Then I put them into a container marked with the amount of times shot. When re-loaded I put a note in the ammo box with all load info and number of times re-loaded.

BobCat
January 31, 2008, 11:54 AM
Colored Sharpie marker, different color for each number-of-times-fired. Just a line or two arcoss the case head / primer. Comes off in the tumbler.

I use green for "new" once-fired, blue for twice-fired, tan for three-times-fired, and so on - but it is all totally arbitrary, based on the colors of Sharpies in the box you buy.

moooose102
January 31, 2008, 11:59 AM
i was kind of hoping for something more permanant.

Galil5.56
January 31, 2008, 12:13 PM
I use an auto center punch applied between the brand and number. I don't do it track usage, but to be able to segregate my cases from range pick-up easily/more quickly. It's deeper than the headstamp, w/o any problems of wearing off. I use my mag cases til the mouths crack, and I can not seem to be able to wear out my auto cases (9mm/45 auto) in their normal rotation.

AKCOP
January 31, 2008, 12:24 PM
With reduced/target loads in .38 and .45 I do nothing and shoot them until the cases split or the primer pockets won't hold a primer. With full loads I keep them in plastic ammo boxes and use labels to show date loaded, load data and times loaded.

The Bushmaster
January 31, 2008, 12:25 PM
I keep a log and I also keep each set of 20 rifle or 50 handgun cases seperate from other head stamps of the same manufacturer.

Doug b
January 31, 2008, 12:38 PM
In large lots I mark the container and make sure that spent casing goes back in that container. For individual rounds as in checking case head expansion I put my first measurement on the sticky portion off a post-em cut the sticky off and stick it to the round so it fits in a box,at the range, remove it, shoot it,put it back on ,put it in the box,take it home and measure.

Walkalong
January 31, 2008, 12:52 PM
Shoot pistol brass until it fails.

Keep a log on batches of rifle brass. Check a small percentage of each batch of rifle brass for signs of case seperation after each fireing. Check a higher percentage of cases when the number of fireings goes up. Monitor tightness of primer pockets.

Luggernut
January 31, 2008, 08:51 PM
I personally haven't done it yet. However.. I can't stand picking up real ****ty brass after our practices so maybe I should so I can get my own back. I have a bunch of Starline brass... no one else really shoots this so it will be easy to sort after.... that is if no one tries taking it before the end of practice.

Ed Gallop
January 31, 2008, 10:22 PM
Don't mark mine. Haven't come up with a good reason. I do inspect all brass and resize if necessary no matter how many times reloaded. I do put a black marker dot on the primer of black powder. If I load different powders or measures to test I will write on the brass with a marker to keep track when checking velosity.

mswestfall
January 31, 2008, 10:51 PM
I tried marking the plastic hull when I first loaded shotgun shells. Firing the shell made the permanent marker not-so-permanent. So I started putting once, twice three times, etc. fired shells in different five gallon buckets. Then when I reloaded I marked the box.

I carried this forward (with coffee cans) when I started reloading brass. I haven't found any reason this won't/doesn't work.

scrat
February 1, 2008, 01:01 AM
sharpie. works great. you can tumble the shells afterwards for days and still see the sharpie. just nice and shinny now

evan price
February 1, 2008, 02:11 AM
I used to mark the back of the shell with Sharpies but they wear off in the tumbler, then I realized that it really makes no difference for practice ammo... shoot 'em until they are not reloadable.
Most of my brass is range pickup now anyway and I don't know the history of it. Anyway, all my brass gets sorted into big containers and mixed up so it really is a moot point.
Rifle brass tends to be the only thing I worry about. I keep my 1 fired brass separate from the more-than-1 fired brass, that's all. Check 'em before loading. The stuff that has 10 reloads on it, I load one mor etime and then stick it in the ammo can for stuff-hits-the-fan ammo... won't be saving brass then.

Idano
February 1, 2008, 02:27 AM
I don't mark any of my brass or track how many times it has been reloaded. In fact I don't know how many times most of my brass has been reloaded because I have seldom bought new or once fired brass. Most of my brass either comes from scrounging or eBay, when they use to allow it, and who know the history of that brass. I inspect the brass when I clean the primer pocket and if isn't cracked, will still hold a primer tightly and fits into a caliber gage it gets reloaded, otherwise it goes into the reclaim regardless of how many times it was reloaded.

offroaddiver
February 1, 2008, 11:23 PM
I tried marking my brass with 3 different lines of sharpie (think the lining of arrows for competition) and i've tried 4 different markers...None stay on there enough that you can easily see the lines until you pick them up. Now this is straight wall cases. bottleneck cases usually work well. Think about it. cases fire form to the barrel and then the pressure pushes them back. metal will be rubing on HOT metal so the marking the sides doesn't work.
The only stuff i've found that marks the sides of the cases and holds enough of it after firing is layout fluid. the manufactures marking on the end of the case and the.
Now i mark so i can distinguish between loads before shooting. brass is brass to me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Case Marking" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!