RCBS "X-Dies" Do they work?

PDA

TexasRifleman
January 31, 2008, 04:51 PM
I asked this up in a .308 thread but thought I'd check here and see if anyone has used these.

They claim to reduce case stretching and prolong brass life.

I'm starting to reload for a FAL and that will be a problem I think.

These things actually help?

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS "X-Dies" Do they work?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
30Cal
January 31, 2008, 05:02 PM
Follow the instructions and yes, IME, they work as advertised.

jameslovesjammie
January 31, 2008, 05:04 PM
Yes, but remember you do have to trim the brass before you use the dies for the first time.

USSR
January 31, 2008, 05:07 PM
They claim to reduce case stretching and prolong brass life.

TR,

The amount of stretching a brass case does, is a direct result of the size it starts out at (after FL resizing), in relation to the size of the chamber it is being fired in. You can resize a case with any number of different dies, and if they all size the case to the same outside dimensions, and you fire them all in the same size chamber, they will all stretch the exact same amount. That's physics, and a die cannot change physics.

Don

Vern Humphrey
January 31, 2008, 05:49 PM
You can resize a case with any number of different dies, and if they all size the case to the same outside dimensions, and you fire them all in the same size chamber, they will all stretch the exact same amount.
But that's not how the X-die works.

Cases stretch because the mouth of the die is open. Sizing displaces brass, and it flows toward the mouth of the case -- which is why we have to trim cases. The brass shavings from trimming are brass lost.

The X-die prevents the case from getting longer by blocking forward flow. No brass is lost.

USSR
January 31, 2008, 06:45 PM
Vern,

I have read that the 'X' die reduces the need for trimming, but the expansion/stretching of the remaining 90% of the case from the case head to the shoulder remains the same.

Don

Vern Humphrey
January 31, 2008, 06:47 PM
Ninety percent of the case doesn't stretch. The stretching occurs just forward of the web. By limiting overall length from sizing the X-die both eliminates trimming and enhances case life.

USSR
January 31, 2008, 07:41 PM
Didn't say that 90% of the case stretches, I said that the stretching that takes place within the remaining 90% of the case (which excludes the neck) still occurs. This is where the actual "stretching" takes place. The neck is lengthened as a result of the resizing operation.

Vern Humphrey
January 31, 2008, 07:51 PM
The neck is lengthened as a result of the resizing operation.

That's what the X-die is designed to prevent

stubbicatt
January 31, 2008, 09:35 PM
The Xdie I use in 308 performs as advertised. Best $35 I spent on reloading dies.

Steve in PA
January 31, 2008, 09:39 PM
I use the X-die in my M1 Garand (.30/06) and Bushmaster M4 (.223/5.56mm) and yes, they work as advertised.

TexasRifleman
January 31, 2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks, I think I will try a set.

Thanks again for the info.

Idano
January 31, 2008, 11:04 PM
TexasRifleman,

I have been using the X-Die for about 5 years on .223 for my AR and I have never had to trim my cases more then once. I have loaded some of my brass 10-15 times or more without any splitting. Anymore I either end up loosing them which is most often the case or occasionally I will get a loose primer pocket, but only after many, many reloads. My bolts I only neck resize so I don't have to lube and of course those do need to be trimmed occasionally.

WmCC
January 31, 2008, 11:07 PM
X-Die's work perfectly on six different cartridges in this stable. The dies have a mandrel at the mouth/neck that prevents growth...Physics major/engineer, here. USSR, revisit your books.

The only issue should be work hardening and cracking at some "extended" point based on the alloy composition and thickness of the brass.

Hiaboo
January 31, 2008, 11:16 PM
I'm guessing a crimp die is still needed here since it's a 2 die set?

WmCC
January 31, 2008, 11:23 PM
Hiaboo,

Not with most 2 die sets.

Stinger
January 31, 2008, 11:27 PM
A crimp??? We don't need no stinking crimp!

Idano
February 1, 2008, 01:52 AM
Hiaboo,

Since you're loading for 30 cal I would recommend setting your seating die so that it produces just a slight crimp, it doesn't take much to hold a 30 cal slug firm, but there is enough bullet mass that with a hot load and a case with slightly weak neck tension the bullet depth could change on around in the magazine from the recoil.

USSR
February 1, 2008, 02:25 PM
A crimp??? We don't need no stinking crimp!

+1. Sufficient neck tension is preferable to a crimp.

Don

Walkalong
February 1, 2008, 03:33 PM
deleted, reread post. duh

If you enjoyed reading about "RCBS "X-Dies" Do they work?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!