S&W Trail Boss?

PDA

G. Glock
January 11, 2003, 06:51 AM
Anybody have one of S&W's Trail Bosses? What's the going price for one of these - don't see any suggested pricing at the S&W site.

Also, anybody know how the availability is on these? I'm getting a Jones for one. I'd much prefer one with fluted cylinder with no porting, but that ain't gonna happen, I suppose.

Cool "little" package if you're a fan of S&Ws, as I am.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Trail Boss?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kahr carrier
January 11, 2003, 07:48 AM
Seen 2 versions at my local gunstore fluted cylinder with MAGNAPORTING AND UNFLUTED CYLINDER NO PORTING .They look COOL.:)

G. Glock
January 11, 2003, 08:04 AM
Don't remember what kind of price they had on them do you?

Kahr carrier
January 11, 2003, 03:22 PM
In PRK about $700.00.:banghead:

G. Glock
January 11, 2003, 03:54 PM
Thanks, I think.

Gila Jorge
January 11, 2003, 05:54 PM
Call RSR Wholesale or have your dealer call them and find out how many they have and the configurations available. They are a 25th Year Aniversaru special of RSR's.

yesterdaysyouth
January 11, 2003, 09:02 PM
a few months back there were 4 on gunbroker, from 550-800... there were some on ga too...

Hutch
January 12, 2003, 01:17 PM
Just picked one up at a local show, and touched 'er off at an indoor range. With factory-equiv handloads, it was awesome. It's definately "plugs and muff" with this one. I had no chance to sit at a bench and shoot it at 25yds over sandbags, so I can't really say how accurate it (or I) is/am. Put 6 in one ragged hole at CLOSE range (mebbe 5yds) with my nerves jangling. Each shot had a concussive chest-thump. After 6, all the sinuses were cleared up, as well. I was a little surprised at how relatively little flash there was, shooting 24.0gr of 110 and a 240gr JHP. If you don't handload, that's a fairly stout load, fully equal to most factory ammo.

Mine is a 629-4, laser-etched, but has the firing pin on the hammer nose. It's fluted and ported, 3" bbl. I got it for 4 yards, out the door, from an individual.

Hope this helps....

mec
January 12, 2003, 01:30 PM
That is a useful and accurate description of setting off a full .44 mag from a short barrel. Im' surprised you didn't see much flash. I was detonating the same load from my 4" mountain gun on a bright day and the dudes saw the fireball from the range house 100 yards away. My MG is tight and was getting low 1400s from this load. It does just under 1500 from 7.5 S/Blackhawks.

dairycreek
January 12, 2003, 05:07 PM
with or without porting. My son in law has one that is fluted and ported mine is unfluted and unported. Got them through RSR and my local gunshop. Mine was $675.00 NIB. A word to the wise they both make a grand noise when discharged. Particularly the ported one. Ear protection is an absolute must! Good shooting:)

Hutch
January 13, 2003, 11:29 AM
As I said, I was surprised by the relative lack of flash. A hot load of H110 in .357 will definately light the room. I'm thinking about loading up some with Blue Dot, which is the goshawfullest powder around, for pure blue-white pyrotechnics. In the 'Boss, it'd probably cause legends to be born.

boo586
January 13, 2003, 03:31 PM
There is a guy here around Indianapolis that has a 44 Mag Mountain Gun for $450, that he claims was only used for a week in Alaska!

email me if you want his number.

Boo586

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Trail Boss?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!