Pros and Cons of mag releases

PDA

slzy
January 31, 2008, 06:39 PM
please expound on the strength and weaknesses of heel mounted to side mounted magazine release.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pros and Cons of mag releases" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Owen
January 31, 2008, 06:43 PM
the only advantage of the heel release that I can think of, is that the magazine drops into your hand. It's nice for a range gun.

Miked7762
January 31, 2008, 06:51 PM
Side mounted:

Pro: You can release the magazine and drop it at the same time your other hand is reaching for a new magazine.

Con: Much more likely to leave the old magazine if you are on the move. Firing hand often must be repositioned to reach the release button.

Heel mounted:

Pro: Firing hand usually does not need to move. Old magazine comes out directly into your hand.

Con: Somewhat slower to reload since the non-firing hand must perform all tasks. More likely to accidentally bump the release.

Chuck R.
January 31, 2008, 07:22 PM
One other positive for the heel release is that with pocket pistols the chances of accidentally dumping the mag are reduced.

I've got two heel release guns a .32 and my SIG230, on both of mine the mag is staying in there until I really want it out. It does significantly slow reloads though as neither of mine will let the mag drop free. Removing the mag is a two handed operation.

There's also little chance of someone with little training/experience dumping the mag by thinking the mag release is a safety:D

Chuck

If you enjoyed reading about "Pros and Cons of mag releases" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!