uniforming primer pockets?

PDA

er167
February 1, 2008, 08:20 AM
Is uniforming primer pockets a one time deal with new brass or should you occassionally do it, and how often? I am prepping new Rem. 30-06 brass for hunting loads.

If you enjoyed reading about "uniforming primer pockets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 1, 2008, 11:47 AM
One time deal.

Not necessary for hunting loads.

Not necessary for anything really, except maybe bench-rest or long range match competition.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

Walkalong
February 1, 2008, 12:03 PM
Not necessary for anything really, except maybe bench-rest or long range match competition.
Agree 100%

Steve in PA
February 1, 2008, 01:16 PM
For my hunting rifles, I uniform the primers one time.

layusn1
February 1, 2008, 01:25 PM
I uniform my target load pockets. Necessary...I don't know, I lack the shooting ability to do a reliable test. Maybe it just provides a mental placebo effect. Either way, it only takes a couple of seconds, has to be done once and your done with it. I also clean all of my primer pockets and some people argue about whether or not you need to do that. I think it is a matter of personal preference.

K3
February 1, 2008, 01:34 PM
I uniform my target load pockets. Necessary...I don't know, I lack the shooting ability to do a reliable test. Maybe it just provides a mental placebo effect. Either way, it only takes a couple of seconds, has to be done once and your done with it. I also clean all of my primer pockets and some people argue about whether or not you need to do that. I think it is a matter of personal preference.

+1

I'm the same way. I think a lot of things I do are for the mental placebo effect, like weighing and trickling powder so that there is eaxactly the same amount in each cartridge for a specific load.

rcmodel
February 1, 2008, 01:39 PM
If you think it helps, it helps!

Just like a lot of other accuracy related things.

rcmodel

USSR
February 1, 2008, 01:52 PM
While it is essentially a one time thing, I do it everytime prior to reloading to remove primer residue in the pocket.

Don

Walkalong
February 1, 2008, 01:56 PM
The only thing I do it for is the 6PPC. I am like USSR there and I do it every reload to start witha nice flat clean pocket, because I think it helps. ;)

When you can lose by .0001 in an agg, and I have, it just may be what gets you over the edge. :)

rcmodel
February 1, 2008, 02:17 PM
Point of clarification:
Uniforming primer pockets is not at all the same thing as Cleaning primer pockets!

I use a primer pocket Cleaning tool on everything before I tumble clean them.

I don't even own a primer pocket Uniforming tool.

A primer pocket Cleaner tool just scrapes out the carbon.
A Uniformer tool reams out brass at the bottom of the pocket to make them all exactly the same depth.

rcmodel

kimbernut
February 1, 2008, 02:53 PM
Granted they are two different tools. Mounted on my RCBS Trim-Mate the Uniformer will do the cleaning job as well. If a few new pieces of brass make their way into the batch that I'm cleaning they too will receive the uniforming procedure in the process.

If you enjoyed reading about "uniforming primer pockets?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!