NYS Microstamping Bill

PDA

Prof. A. Wickwire
February 1, 2008, 01:17 PM
Please contact your New York State Assembly Members about A09819 (http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=a9819). We need to kill this one quick.

Remember, politely worded, mailed, letters speak louder than emails.

Sincerely,

Prof. A. Wickwire

If you enjoyed reading about "NYS Microstamping Bill" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MDHunter
February 2, 2008, 09:23 PM
They've introduced it here too, the blissninnies are trying an end around since they can't get us to back down on the AWB.

Good luck to you NY guys and gals, wish us luck as well.

ZeSpectre
February 2, 2008, 09:36 PM
MD hunter
Link or bill # please?

jlday70
February 2, 2008, 09:45 PM
Letter sent.

Im283
February 2, 2008, 10:29 PM
Bunch of feel good crappola. Like a spent casing found at a crime scene will actually lead the cops to the criminal. Idiots.

Librarian
February 3, 2008, 03:04 AM
Bunch of feel good crappola. Like a spent casing found at a crime scene will actually lead the cops to the criminal. Idiots.

Don't let being logical and being right lull you to sleep - legislators proposing this kind of bill are not interested in whether the bill will actually do what its supporters claim.

You need another, political lever. You need friends and influence in Albany. You need money. You need countable popular opposition to the bill. You need to expose the financial dealings of the manufacturer of the proposed technology. You need a unified approach to gun bills in general - so activism on a different bill will not poison the votes on this one.

So far as I can tell, in California we did all but that last - and we have a microstamping law. Maybe you need something more.

mrreynolds
February 3, 2008, 05:04 AM
Will do

glennv
February 3, 2008, 08:44 AM
Microstamping bills are popping up all over the east coast. RI had this tabled last session. It will be back though. Good luck.

MDHunter
February 4, 2008, 12:59 AM
MD hunter
Link or bill # please?

Z - it's HB0517, here's the link to the thread on the Maryland Shooters Forum...

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=4808

Luis Leon
February 11, 2008, 10:08 AM
Prof,

Thanks for the post, I will be fighting this one, I belong to two Sportsmans Clubs and shoot at another. I will make it my mission to make sure everyone at our club calls, write and otherwise make our total opposition to this bill known.

regards,

Luis Leon

14427H
February 12, 2008, 04:53 PM
But while you are talking to them get them to tell you where they stand on this related issue:

ammunitionaccountability.org

[QUOTE]About Us

Ammunition Accountability is a newly forming group of ammunition coding technology supporters. ...ammunition coding technology works by laser etching the back of each bullet with an alpha-numeric serial number. Then when a potential criminal purchases a box of 9mm cartridges, the box of ammunition and the bullets’ coding numbers would be connected to the purchaser in a statewide database. When a bullet is found at a crime scene, the code on the bullet can be read with a simple magnifying glass and then be run through a statewide database to determine who purchased the ammunition and where, providing a valuable investigative lead.

[QUOTE]

They have bills in California, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Mississippi, New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Washington
right now, several bills call for turning in all non stamped ammunition.

This has got to stop now.

243_shooter
February 12, 2008, 05:30 PM
Printers humming away as I type this.. I'm also of the opinion that snail-mail letters go much farther than emails.

I wonder what they will think of next. I enjoy the 'no cost to taxpayers' portion.. they must have thrown that in just to prevent folks from fearing a repeat of the multi-million dollar waste of our money (otherwise known as COBIS).

Leo

Prof. A. Wickwire
February 12, 2008, 05:33 PM
Everyone,

Can you post the text of your letters as samples to others?

Perhaps we should consider a letter repository in a sticky thread so that our cousins and friends with less creative writing skill have a resource.

Sincerely,

Prof. A. Wickwire

airman
February 12, 2008, 06:40 PM
you all better nip it in the bud,or you'll end up like us in nazifornia

mgregg85
February 12, 2008, 06:47 PM
It was only a matter of time... Naturally the most oppressive states will adopt this first. As usual, CAMANY leads the way to "safety" through freedom sacrifice.

Polishrifleman
February 12, 2008, 07:28 PM
House Bill 3359, sponsored by State Representatives Al O’Brien (D-1), Brendan Williams (D-22), Dennis Flannigan (D-27), and Jamie Pedersen (D-43), would require that all handgun ammunition manufactured or sold in Washington to be coded with an individual serial number, and entered into a statewide database at the time of sale. Encoded ammunition would be registered to the purchaser and would include the date of transaction, the purchaser’s name, date of birth, driver’s license number, and the serial number of the ammunition.

There's one in Washington too!

243_shooter
February 12, 2008, 07:33 PM
Can you post the text of your letters as samples to others?

I've attatched it, I'm not much of a letter writer and haven't slapped the stamp on yet, so comments are welcome.

Leo

Subject : A09819 Microstamping requirement for semiautomatic firearms

Dear Assemblywoman Sayward,

I'd like to start by thanking you for the excellent job you have done to date promototing upstate, and it's interests.

I'm dropping you a quick note to voice my strong opposition to bill A09819 which will require semiautomatic firearms to 'stamp' information into the fired cartridge.

All new pistols sold in this state already have a fired cartridge entered into the COBIS database, and it's proven so far to be a very expensive failure.

Forcing arms makers to add this feature to firearms in NY will only result in less product choice for consumers. Criminals don't go through the extensive background check required for a NYS pistol permit now, and never will. To think this will somehow deter them is a fools errand.

The bill will only accomplish 2 goals, neither will have any impact on crime;
greatly reduce the number of new handguns available to legal pistol permit holders.

Force jobs out of NY state. A firearm manufactured in NY with the microstamping in place will not sell in any other state. I speak specifically about Kimber arms www.kimberamerica.com

Anyone who choses to ignore the laws (IE criminals) are certainly clever enough to drag a file across the 'microstamp' portion of the action, and effectively erase it.

The bill is simply more NYC style gun control being stuffed down the throat of red NY.

I thank you for you time,

Leo xxxxxxxx

If you enjoyed reading about "NYS Microstamping Bill" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!