How is .308 Lake City military brass?

PDA

IMtheNRA
February 1, 2008, 07:46 PM
Any opinions on the quality and durability of processed once-fired LC military brass in .308? Is it good for making accurate loads or is it just for blasting only?

If you enjoyed reading about "How is .308 Lake City military brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jonnyc
February 1, 2008, 07:52 PM
Great stuff. Most/all US military brass is fantastic for reloading.

USSR
February 1, 2008, 07:54 PM
Great brass when you take the time to match prep it.

Don

IMtheNRA
February 1, 2008, 08:07 PM
USSR, what do you mean by "match prep".

Is there any validity to my concern that this brass may already be overworked after being fired from a machine gun with a huge chamber, ejected very roughly, then small-base sized and processed in a "Schrach" machine?

paperpuncher49
February 1, 2008, 08:38 PM
IMO, LC Brass is great. Doubtful there should be any concerns with once fired brass even if it has been through a machine gun. Brass is used for cases because of its properties. It can take a lot of "abuse" before it becomes old and tired.

USSR
February 1, 2008, 09:22 PM
USSR, what do you mean by "match prep".

Is there any validity to my concern that this brass may already be overworked after being fired from a machine gun with a huge chamber, ejected very roughly, then small-base sized and processed in a "Schrach" machine?

IMtheNRA,

If you don't bump the shoulder back too far each time you resize, you should get your share of reloads out of the brass. As far as match prepping LC brass, here is what is commonly done:

Uniform the primer pocket (I assume Scharch has removed the crimp?)
Debur the flash hole
Weigh the brass and separate by weight (they will vary wildly)

If Scharch didn't remove they crimp, then you will have to do that prior to uniforming the primer pocket. Check Sinclair International for the tools needed to uniform and debur (they are not expensive).

Don

def4pos8
February 1, 2008, 11:30 PM
RIGHT! Lake City brass is good stuff but your "once-fired" brass may have been yanked through an M-60 or M-240/MAG-58. After sizing, check case length for EACH case and trim as required.

uneasy_rider
February 1, 2008, 11:33 PM
I bought some that was mostly fired through machine guns, and it has been a bitch to resize.

Dave R
February 2, 2008, 12:23 AM
I bought some that was mostly fired through machine guns, and it has been a bitch to resize.Yup. That's THICK brass. Takes a lotta lube and a lotta leverage to resize.

dmftoy1
February 2, 2008, 06:40 AM
+1 on the tough to resize (although a quality lube made a world of difference . ..started out with One-Shot . . .almost broke the press off my bench)

I've have very good luck without too many gyrations with the once-fired I picked up from Midway. I did fl resize with a sb die, trimmed to length, deburred and chamfered the case mouth and deburred the flash holes. With that it's shooting well under and inch with ease at 100 yard from my Savage 10FLP.

I need to learn about primer pocket uniforming . . . I've never done that and I see it mentioned all the time.

Hoosier Reloader
February 2, 2008, 07:21 AM
It's no good, too much trouble for reloading,,,:):):) send me all you have & I'll recycle it!!!! :):):)

USSR
February 2, 2008, 11:46 AM
I bought some that was mostly fired through machine guns, and it has been a bitch to resize.

Yes it is. That's why I only buy LC Match brass now. A side benefit to the match brass is, there is no primer crimp to remove.

Don

If you enjoyed reading about "How is .308 Lake City military brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!