Orange residue on new brass

PDA

azar
February 2, 2008, 11:28 AM
I purchased my first bags of new unprimed brass a while back. I opened it the other day and I noticed that inside the case neck there is an orange film or residue that I'm not sure what it is.

Is this normal? Do I need to clean just opened brass before loading it the first time? I don't have a tumbler, so if it needs to be cleaned what do you all recommend?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Orange residue on new brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 2, 2008, 12:06 PM
That is media residue from when the factory tumbled them. (red rouge)

It's a good idea to clean the necks with a nylon bore brush but whatever is left inside is not going to hurt anything.

Tumbling them further will not get the insides clean anyway as they pack full of media as soon as you put them in the tumbler.

Thats why it's still in there.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

azar
February 2, 2008, 01:01 PM
Okay thanks! I figured it was probably normal, but this being my first bag of new unprimed brass I figured I'd just ask.

If you enjoyed reading about "Orange residue on new brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!