H&R Model 904 22lr revolver

PDA

macavada
August 1, 2003, 12:19 AM
I've got an H&R Model 904, and recently I thought I might like to mount a scope on it. Anybody know how to do it or what I need to get it done? I've mounted a couple of scopes on rifles before, but I don't consider myself a gunsmith by any stretch. Is it even possible on this gun? I've had it a long while, but I don't know when it was made. It's got a long rib that runs the length of the barrel, but it's not tapped. I thought it may be the same width as a standard .22 lr dovetail, and I even bought some rings with the idea that I could mount them directly to the rib, but it's too narrow ... probably a bad idea without a scope base I guess. The only tapped hole on the top of the gun is for the adjustable rear sight. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "H&R Model 904 22lr revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
August 1, 2003, 01:31 PM
I’m not sure about this because I’m working with an exploded-view drawing rather then a gun itself. Therefore disregard my advice if it doesn’t seem too fit.

It appears that the rib is a separate part from the barrel. It is held at the back by a short pin that goes into the front of the frame, and a screw at the muzzle end that is under the front sight. To take off the rib remove the front sight, take out the screw, and pull the rib forward and off.

Brownells (www.brownells.com) sell .22 scope-base material as extruded stock. You could buy a piece, cut it to length, and then duplicate the rib-setup by putting a pin at the back (or drilling a hole for the pin, which ever the case may be) and drilling a hole at the front for a screw. If you are going to scope the revolver replacing the front sight is unnecessary.

Then mount a scope that same way as you would on a .22 rifle.

macavada
August 1, 2003, 02:11 PM
Excellent reply! Thanks. I'm definitely going to look into it.

If you enjoyed reading about "H&R Model 904 22lr revolver" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!