Shotgun shot fillers

PDA

Oldnamvet
February 2, 2008, 09:54 PM
Some of us were talking about what various people substitute for shot when using a light shot load and only have wads for heavier loads. I normally use some 20 gauge nitro over shot cards from my muzzleloader. I bought a box of 1000 years ago and still have some. Another guy uses several dried beans to take up space. I was wondering what others have used for that purpose when you didn't have the correct wad?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotgun shot fillers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GooseGestapo
February 3, 2008, 08:33 AM
I use "quick cook" grits for buffering my home-loaded buckshot loads. It works very well.

The only drawback is possibility of moisture absorbtion. However, I've never had a problem with this.

It should provide the filler you desire and it weighs a minimal amount and won't pack as hard and tight as flour will. Be sure to add it's weight to the load mass as it DOES add some minimal weight as do all fillers. Cost is minimal and available in most grocery stores and even convienence stores in my area.... (SE USA)

The "experts" however, will recommed some of the commercial fillers such as GREX.

My home loaded 20ga buckshot with cast 0.310" round balls loaded 10 in a 2-3/4" hull with approx. 10gr of "GRITS" over a RP20 wad with fingers cut off over 16.8gr of Hod. Longshot gives 10" patterns at 25yds and is 2-for-2 on 110lb deer at ~30yds.
BTW- there are no commercially available #1 buck loads for a 20ga..........
YMMV.

snuffy
February 3, 2008, 01:47 PM
ONV, go here to find the cork wads I use to adjust crimp height.

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/products.asp?dept=115

The cork wads work best, because they weigh less, take up room well and add some soft cushioning to the load. For 12 gauge, get 20 gauge cork, it fits well inside a normal shotcup, on the bottom.

scrat
February 3, 2008, 04:27 PM
fibre wads. i have boxes of them in 3/8 and 1/2 inch

snuffy
February 3, 2008, 04:40 PM
fibre wads. i have boxes of them in 3/8 and 1/2 inch

Won't work INSIDE an existing shotcup. Fiber wads work well when building a composite wad column. Unless a sub gauge wad is used, as in my above answer, a 20 gauge fiber wad could be used inside a shotcup. But they're heavy and not as soft as cork.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotgun shot fillers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!