Buying a Luger

PDA

Corporal K
February 2, 2008, 11:01 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm interested in a German Luger- good condition, doesn't need to be mint. It should be able to fire and eject, but I don't mind if it's a little banged up. I'd prefer one with the Waffenampt markings.

Where should I go for the best deal?

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying a Luger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Corporal K
February 2, 2008, 11:02 PM
Also, I'd prefer to avoid gunbroker, auctionarms, etc. and go straight to a dealer.

Firepower!
February 3, 2008, 07:13 AM
In Pakistan they are dirt cheap. 200-300 for one in good condition.

jonnyc
February 3, 2008, 10:25 AM
First stop should be the bank!

I've been looking for that same animal for a while. Not much out there below $600. Everyone has a "rare collectible" for sale. Good luck in your search.

Z71
February 3, 2008, 08:39 PM
Best bet for a P08 Luger would be one of the imported ones from a few years back. I picked up two when they could be had in the $300-$400 range.

Lugers can be ammo picky, and magazine picky. My first P08 was a Jam-o-matic! I messed around with it for a year or so, and found the Wolff mainspring calibration kit. Has 3 different powers of recoil/mainsprings. Found that the 38# Wolff spring and expensive FXO magazines made the Luger run great.

My next Luger was a much better condition P08, and it runs like any other 9mm pistol, almost never jams.

I still have both my P08 Lugers, and shoot them quite a bit.

Don't know what to tell you about finding one?

Not long after I bought my last one, the price started going up, and has not stopped!

Even import marked shooter Lugers like mine are commonly selling for $700-$800 and higher!

gbelleh
February 3, 2008, 09:04 PM
To get a nice Luger... keep at least $700 in cash ready and visit all the gun shops, pawn shops and gun shows you can. Check the message boards and put up some WTB posts. Something will come along. I happened upon a really nice, all matching, non-import marked, 1920 DWM Luger in a small gun shop for less than $700 about a year ago. Good luck.

HisSoldier
February 3, 2008, 09:27 PM
My NIB Mauser P08 was $1250 and I snapped it up as fast as I could.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying a Luger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!