The Brave One

PDA

Lightsped
February 3, 2008, 02:47 PM
Just wondered if anyone here has seen the movie titled The Brave One? If so, how is the gun play? Is it worth buying the DVD?

http://applefanbe.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/brave_one_poster_jodie_foster.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "The Brave One" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JWarren
February 3, 2008, 03:01 PM
I just saw the interview on The Cobert Nation where she said she was basically against guns.

Another start making a living glorifying firearms and then speaking against them.

-- John

halfacop
February 3, 2008, 03:11 PM
Right - I saw this movie when it first came out.

I believe she wanted to be involved in this movie to show how easily it is for someone to illegally obtain a firearm and go about their business with vigilanty justice. Her intent is to show the general population exactly why gun control is so important and needed.

Fact is - if that was her intent........SHE FAILED.

While you watch this movie you find yourself rooting for her to kick some ass. She does everything that I believe most individuals would want to do in that situation. She gets trigger happy on ****bags in the subway and some guy trying to kill her in the drug store and with a car. Nothing but self defense situations inwhich an intent by the scumbag was clearly shown to be a deadly threat towards her.

She appears to be the "hero" in this film - not the villian, that I believe she wanted to portray.

I watched it and thought it was a great PRO GUN FLICK!

Bruce333
February 3, 2008, 03:26 PM
I don't care how good the movie is (or not). I'll not be watching any Jodie Foster movies.

“Isn’t it possible that we all have that bit of insanity in us? That’s why I’m for gun control. Absolutely. Hunting, I get that – let’s protect hunting. But I don’t believe that people should have access to life-or-death situations at any emotional time in their life. I don’t really believe that a human being who feels [things] should have the option at their fingertips.” Jodie Foster - Brady Campaign press release 08-20-2007

Cesiumsponge
February 3, 2008, 06:05 PM
So that quote basically says because she is unsure of her emotional state in a high stress situation, therefore everyone else is the same and therefore unsuitable to use firearms.

...not to mention the "2A is for duckhunting" mentality as well.

jad0110
February 3, 2008, 06:13 PM
While you watch this movie you find yourself rooting for her to kick some ass. She does everything that I believe most individuals would want to do in that situation. She gets trigger happy on ****bags in the subway and some guy trying to kill her in the drug store and with a car. Nothing but self defense situations inwhich an intent by the scumbag was clearly shown to be a deadly threat towards her.

Sounds kinda like a modern version of Death Wish! But yeah, I don't think I can stomach Jody Foster though.

So that quote basically says because she is unsure of her emotional state in a high stress situation, therefore everyone else is the same and therefore unsuitable to use firearms.

My response would be since "we all have a little bit of insanity in us", shouldn't we disarm cops too? I mean, if having the power of life and death at your fingertips is sooooo bad, then why would we entrust our government with that power?

Yeah, I couldn't watch it.

Lightsped
February 3, 2008, 07:08 PM
Ok, beyond the actor's pro or anti gun stance, is this movie a decent flick for gun play and shootouts? What type of guns are featured?

halfacop
February 3, 2008, 09:39 PM
The gun is a Kahr K9 if I remember right.

As far as shootouts - I woudn't say there are any. Mostly one sided trigger slaps by her.

It was a decent flick as far as pertraying a few situations that you could be easily caught in, especially the hide and seek game she plays with the pissed off husband at the little stop and rob store and the subway showdown.

There is really more story line than actual "gun play". If your not into worrying about the actors view points - then I am sure you would enjoy the film. Like I said, I saw it as a great "Progun" flick - she certainly did a ****ty job of trying to promote how guns are evil and should not be so easily available in todays society. I think she did a better job of showing exactly WHY we NEED guns.

For cripes sake - the dvd can't cost ya a few bucks to rent - just grab it and watch it. Its worth seeing a anti-gun actors anti-gun work prove the exact opposite of their intent.

Gunz
February 3, 2008, 11:08 PM
well, in the poster shown, it seems she even has her finger in the trigger of the Kahr.

At least teh movie does not show her missing a few toes!:D

Well, give it a few months. It will show up on the WalMart $5 DVD bins.

George Hill
February 4, 2008, 01:02 AM
It's a CW-9.

halfacop
February 4, 2008, 11:39 AM
It's a CW-9.

Nope - if you look at the pistol in the poster, you can see that the front sight is dovetailed.

The CW9 does not have a dovetail front sight - its simply a pinned front sight, which was one of the cost cutting measures Kahr used to keep the CW9 more affordable.

As well as the frame not being polymer, like the CW series of pistols is. That pistol certainly had a full stainless frame.

When I watched it - I was sure that it was a K9 series.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/halfacop/tbo_image2.jpg

RPCVYemen
February 4, 2008, 12:03 PM
I think it's supposed to be a psychological study of the personal impact of violent crime, and revenge. I thought it was a pretty decent movie. Her character was pretty believable to me. The detective didn't sell me on his character.

I don't think it was a statement about gun control - it was more about a strong woman confronting evil, and being by the confrontation.

well, in the poster shown, it seems she even has her finger in the trigger of the Kahr.

That may be intentional - she's not supposed to know anything about weapons, or more strongly, she's supposed to not know anything about weapons. That's sort of the point of the movie. :)

Mike

halfacop
February 4, 2008, 01:20 PM
she's not supposed to know anything about weapons

Right - that was the one part of the movie that I saw that they did a ****ty job on.

When he gives her the Kahr in the alley, "shows" her how to work it, She grabs it from him and handles it like she's done it a hundred times. Uses the slide stop like a pro....etc etc etc.

She just did not do a great job of making it look like it was the first handgun she had ever handled.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think it was a statement about gun control ......

Well - perhaps thats your take. But when I read things like this out of her mouth.....

When talk turned to gun control, a subject many movie critics will likely tackle in reviews for The Brave One, Foster commented:

“Isn’t it possible that we all have that bit of insanity in us?

“That’s why I’m for gun control. Absolutely. I don’t believe that people should have access to life-or-death situations at any emotional time in their life.

“I don’t really believe that a human being who feels [things] should have the option at their fingertips.”

Then its pretty obvious to me what her intent was for doing the film.

princewally
February 4, 2008, 02:38 PM
Well - perhaps thats your take. But when I read things like this out of her mouth.....

When talk turned to gun control, a subject many movie critics will likely tackle in reviews for The Brave One, Foster commented:

Isnt it possible that we all have that bit of insanity in us?

Thats why Im for gun control. Absolutely. I dont believe that people should have access to life-or-death situations at any emotional time in their life.

I dont really believe that a human being who feels [things] should have the option at their fingertips.

I don't care about the opinions of actors. They didn't get their jobs for their critical thinking skills or personality. They got their jobs because they passed a screen test and have the ability to hide their own personalities in favor of a construct. They are lacking real personalities and real critical thinking skills.

Being famous doesn't give their opinions weight, and if they can entertain me for a couple of hours, great.

RPCVYemen
February 4, 2008, 03:38 PM

I think not. My guess is that making a statement about gun control was way, way down on her list - if it was there at all. Gun control is utterly and massively unimportant to a huge majority of folks.

If I had to guess, I would guess that her top two motivations were:
Money. This is a profession for her, not a hobby.
The dramatic transition from oblivious innocence to ambivalent power probably intrigued her.

She's a bright lady, and I would guess that #2 dominated her interest.

I think that if you're brain dead, you can watch the movie as a Charles Bronson style revenge flick. But I think she really wanted to portray was the the evil that the main character encountered ended up making her somewhat evil.

I thought that at the end of the movie, she wished she could find a road back to the sweet innocent character she was at the beginning of the movie. But that road was blocked. She hated - at least in part - who she had become.

[ ----- SPOILER ALERT ----- ]

I think that's the dramatic motivation for the scene I found a little hokey - where she wounds the detective. She started out shooting bad guys, and now she has to shoot a good guy - and implicitly endorse his corruption.

Mike

RPCVYemen
February 4, 2008, 04:17 PM
They are lacking real personalities and real critical thinking skills.

I don't think that's correct.

What I'd say is that there may be little or no correlation between their own personality and any role they might play in a movie. I have no particular reason to believe that Harrison Ford is a particularly heroic.

The same is true of their intelligence and that of the characters they play. I have no reason to believe that Gwyneth Paltrow can really do the kind of math that her character did in "Proof".

I suspect that most actors have "real personalities" and that critical thinking skill are distributed among actors more or less as they are amongst the general population. I would actually suspect that actors - as a group - probably have a sightly higher facility for critical thinking than the population as a whole.

In point of fact, Ms. Foster graduated summa cum laude from Yale, so I suspect she's a pretty bright woman. I could not have gotten into Yale - and if they had made an admissions error and I'd gotten in, there is no way in heck that I would have graduated summa cum laude! :)

She can be all that, and still very wrong about CCW.

Mike

damien
February 4, 2008, 04:25 PM
The first four shoots in the film were self defense in any jurisdiction (gun robber in store, two rapists with knifes on subway, john in the car that tries to run her down and succeeds at hitting his slave girl). If she was trying discredit Vigilantism, she did not succeed until late in the film. Self defense is not Vigilantism.

Of course the other four kills (hunted down guy on rooftop, hunted down three original criminals) was definitely Vigilantism. But then an officer of the law pretty much endorsed her actions anyway!

Titan6
February 4, 2008, 04:50 PM
Sounds kinda like a modern version of Death Wish!

Actually the whole movie from start to finish is a rip off of Death Wish with Jody Foster playing Charles Bronson. They throw in a awkward subplot that does not really work well but the movie is not very good any way. You are better off renting the original and watching Paul Kersey convert from anti-gun pacifist to death dealing psychotic over two hours.

Strange that art does not imitate real life. Most people who are effected by violent crime through guilt displacement and blame the guns and begin campaigning to end the world of them. Very rarely are they are wise enough to realize the truth.

BobbyQuickdraw
February 4, 2008, 05:10 PM
http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/reviews/the-brave-one.php

^ My thoughts on the film.

Not worth buying. Maybe worth watching. If it was a straight up vigilante movie, like Death Wish, it would have been awesome. But instead they try to make it a message movie and nearly ruin it.

It has a conflicting gun message. On one hand, she can't buy a handgun to protect herself, because of waiting period (progun). So she buys one, easily, off the street (antigun). She uses it to protect herself (progun). She quickly becomes a quasi-vigilante doling out justice (antigun).

Rent it, dont buy it.

RPCVYemen
February 4, 2008, 05:22 PM
Actually the whole movie from start to finish is a rip off of Death Wish with Jody Foster playing Charles Bronson.

I don't remember Charles Bronson every expressing any ambivalence about the man he had become - which is to my mind the heart of The Brave One.

But it's been a long time, so maybe I am wrong. I remember him looking at pictures of his family, but that was mainly fuel for the rage. I didn't have much sense of his introspection about ethical issues.

If you go to see "The Brave One" with "Death Wish" in mind, you'll be disappointed - I think I remember a heck of a lot more firepower and gunplay in "Death Wish".

If you go to see "Death Wish" with "The Brave One" in mind, you'll be disappointed - "Death Wish" is a 13 year old boy's view of the way it should be, "The Brave One" is a more nuanced film.

It has a conflicting gun message.

Or maybe there's no intended gun message at all. Maybe it's a character study. :)

Mike

Hugo
February 4, 2008, 05:46 PM
The way it got preachy was rather annoying. She did get rather vigilante at the end though. Definitely more about the dark side of humanity than an anti gun movie (Jodi is definitely anti gun herself, though her character sure is comfortable with hers by the end of the movie!)

One mobster gets beaned with a crowbar and tossed off a six story parking garage. No gun violence there by anyone! Not even brandishing. A bit vigilante like, but he did attack her first. Plus the thugs in the beginning only use fists and pipes on her and her fiance. Untrained and kinda cowardly German Shepard is useless defending it's master. (That struck me as odd that her dog wouldn't at least fight a little for it's mistress, but thats Hollywood!)

Clearly though she definitely went vigilante after deliberately letting the guy go in the line up. Course her cop friend was pretty sick of these scumbags getting let out a day or so later so he went a little vigilante too by helping her take out the trash. Not exactly Death Wish, more like one of the later Dirty Harry movies. I forget which one.

On the bright side, this movie probably makes more than a few women realize violence can happen to you and not "somebody else" and serves as a wake up call. Plus it must have made a few go to a gunshop to see about getting a CCW or at least a pistol for home.

The movie poster shown above is probably her about to shoot at the creep trying to run her over with his car.

P.S. Jodi is probably a lost cause for converting to the logical POV of guns as self defense tools, but her fans are not a lost cause. Work on them and forget Jodi Foster.

Old Dog
February 4, 2008, 06:58 PM
I didn't see this movie while looking for any profound pro-gun message. However, I also feel that this flick did end up making somewhat of a pro-gun statement. And, I'm also rather amazed that so many of you tie actors' political beliefs to your enjoyment or support of their movies.

As RPCVYemen notes, Ms. Foster is a very intelligent women (albeit misguided in her gun views in our eyes) and, I believe, an exceptional actress.

Not every actor is a Chuck Heston or Tom Selleck. That doesn't mean we can't enjoy movies. C'mon now, I know there's a general disrespect of guys such as Sean Penn around here, but wasn't his Jeff Spiccoli role (Fast Times at Ridgement High) one of the most hilarious characters ever put on film?

The Brave One was okay, worth viewing (perhaps not worth adding to one's collection), a film that just may have open some viewers' eyes to a world they'd not ever considered ... if the movie got anyone to ponder whether or not they might want -- or need -- to become gunowners -- that's a good thing, right?

Keegan
February 4, 2008, 07:09 PM
I watched it Saturday, and it's definitely a Kahr K9.

I could see where pros and antis could both use this movie to their advantage. She does use the gun to protect herself and others, but I think the movie tries to say that she was "driven" to buy a gun by her paranoia and fear after the attack, and all the people she killed didn't make her feel better about what happened. All I saw was a woman who refused to be a victim anymore.

All in all it was worth watching, and it's a good movie to score some points with the wife, she'll like it too.

BobbyQuickdraw
February 4, 2008, 07:55 PM
And, I'm also rather amazed that so many of you tie actors' political beliefs to your enjoyment or support of their movies.

We don't vote for politicians who don't support our beliefs and we don't support activists who have contrary opinions on guns, so why should we give our money in ticket sales to someone who will then speak out against guns, endorse the Brady Campaign, and possibly donate thousands of dollars to anti-gun causes?

I won't pay to see movies featuring prominent anti-gun activists if I can help it and I wont pay to watch a Sean Penn movie.

I do go out of my way to pay to see Tom Selleck, as my Seasons 1-7 of Magnum PI on DVD can attest, and I'm currently gathering up some of his movies and TV specials on DVD. I also tune into Las Vegas when I'm home on Friday nights!

Old Dog
February 4, 2008, 09:06 PM
Well, Bobby, we've covered that ground a time or two in this forum these past many years ...

If you're gonna boycott any person or any entity with ties to anti-gun politicians or causes, no matter how obscure, you'd better be raising your own sheep, shearing 'em, weaving your own clothes and subsisting wholly out of your own garden/farm grown produce and livestock. Oh, and watching "Vegas" or any TV show or movie with any pro-gun actors? Can't do that either, as you'd find almost everyone involved in the production of those shows and movies espouses a lot more liberal-leanin' gun-grabbin' views that you'd ever know ...

No Starbucks for you.

RPCVYemen
February 5, 2008, 09:47 AM
All I saw was a woman who refused to be a victim anymore.

You saw the same movie I did. :)

Mike

ronwill
February 5, 2008, 11:20 AM
Won't see it. Jodie Foster is one of those hypocritical stars that will make "gun" movies for profit and then make a public announcement against carrying.

halfacop
February 5, 2008, 02:52 PM
Won't see it. Jodie Foster is one of those hypocritical stars that will make "gun" movies for profit and then make a public announcement against carrying.

I believe she didn't make the movie in support of everyone having a CPL!

It was her way of using here talent to make a statement, a pro gun control statement , her statement, this statement...............

I dont really believe that a human being who feels [things] should have the option at their fingertips.

That is my point in this thread - as far as I am concerned, it turned out doing a bang up job of showing exactly why everyone SHOULD be allowed to have a CPL. Everytime she caps some dirtbag in the movie, your sitting there rooting her on and nodding your head in agreement.

ronwill
February 6, 2008, 10:13 AM
I believe she didn't make the movie in support of everyone having a CPL!

It was her way of using here talent to make a statement, a pro gun control statement , her statement, this statement...............

That is my point in this thread - as far as I am concerned, it turned out doing a bang up job of showing exactly why everyone SHOULD be allowed to have a CPL. Everytime she caps some dirtbag in the movie, your sitting there rooting her on and nodding your head in agreement.

I don't believe she was making the movie to make a statement either way, her response during an interview didn't lend evidence to that. Those of you who don't select movies based on stars beliefs, that's your privilege. Mine is not to watch movies made by hypocritical stars who don't mind making money in movies that go against their beliefs. By the way, I don't watch Jane Fonda movies either.

-terry
February 6, 2008, 02:28 PM
Most actors make movies to make money. Period. That's why you see them in some awful clinkers on occasion. When asked, they say, "for the money."

Cannonball888
February 6, 2008, 04:42 PM
Maybe Jodie Foster should do

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/Cannonball888/jodie.jpg

Taxi Driver II

usmarine0352_2005
February 6, 2008, 04:49 PM
Is this movie worth buying?

Is it fast paced with action?

I don't like movies where all of the action is the last 15 minutes. Or movies where there's a little action here or there, but mostly boring.

I am not looking for any views about anti-gun or pro-gun.

ScottD
February 6, 2008, 05:18 PM
I just watched it on DVD last night. Man, is Jodie getting old or what? She also should just come out of the closet since she plays for the other team. As for her pistol, it is definitively a Kahr K9. They guy who sold it to her in the alley directly said so. As for the scene with the hooker in the back seat of the car, the part of the slide stop pin that protrudes through the right side of the frame did indeed look weird. Looked like it was hammered flat or something compared to my Kahrs.

On another note, Jodie isn't really known for doing nude scenes so I wonder if those were stunt boobs. :scrutiny:

apocryph
February 6, 2008, 05:33 PM
Is this movie worth buying?

Is it fast paced with action?

I don't like movies where all of the action is the last 15 minutes. Or movies where there's a little action here or there, but mostly boring.

I am not looking for any views about anti-gun or pro-gun.

I haven't paid for a movie in..well..a long time, but even if I did buy movie DVDs I don't think this one has much re-watch value.

Say that you will about this movie, but "fast paced" it's not. There are some scenes of action, but it's no action movie.

I watched it reluctantly, expecting a preechy gun-hating screed. When it ended my roomate and I looked at each other and said "***? If that was an anti-gun screed, it's the least effective anti-gun screen in recent memory".

Parsing political messages out of mass-market movies is generally a pointless activity, and there's no doubt most/all of those involved in the production of this movie are anti-gun, but when Foster's character tried and failed to obtain a gun legally I felt the same "now you understand" satisfaction as when gun haters find they need a gun and can't get one due to their own rules.

strangelittleman
February 6, 2008, 05:41 PM
Hmmm.......Yeah just the thought of Jodie Foster trying to step into a Charles Bronson type role is as laughable as, well, Charles Bronson trying to play "Nell".

ronwill
February 6, 2008, 09:11 PM
Hmm, people will watch a movie made by a hypocrit and boycott a business for posting a "no guns" sign. Sorry, I would rather buy a needed item from a store that is posted. At least they're being honest.

Stevie-Ray
February 6, 2008, 11:09 PM
I watched it over the weekend. It was worth the 3 bucks to rent it.

I won't be adding it to my collection, as I don't think it was worth the 20 bucks to own it.

Ricebrnr
February 6, 2008, 11:13 PM
My wife want to see the movie, but hates movies when animals or children are hurt or killed. Can anyone confirm if any animals or children are harmed in the movie?

Thanks much!

easyg
February 6, 2008, 11:48 PM
I thought it was a good movie.
Not great, but better than average.

Phydeaux642
February 7, 2008, 12:05 AM
Here's what I want from Hollywood: Entertain me, then shut up. With that said, I will probably rent the movie with not one thought regarding Ms. Foster's political/social views as I have a mind of my own and can make my own decisions on a wide variety of subjects all on my own. No, really, I can. I don't need Hollywood to help me with any decisions. After all, I do wear 'Big Boy' pants now.

"Phydeaux, bad dog....no biscuit!"

Keegan
February 7, 2008, 12:07 AM
Ricebrnr,

I don't believe there is any kid/pet violence in the movie. There is a dog that is mistreated by gangbangers, but I don't recall it being harmed in any way.

Keegan
February 7, 2008, 12:08 AM
multiple post explosion

Keegan
February 7, 2008, 12:10 AM
whoops!

rc135
February 7, 2008, 05:43 AM
HERE BE SPOILERS
Yes, an animal is hurt/killed, altho no kids are.

george_co
February 7, 2008, 07:51 PM
**possible spoiler alert**

Well my wife rented it for this coming weekend, so I took it down to my TV in the downstairs last night. Started watching, got bored, starting cleaning out my gun bags.

Here is what I got out of the movie.

The system is broken!
Even good cops can't help you, you are on your own.
Cops see so much bad **it everyday, they are immune from your pain and therefore don't care.
If you are lucky enough to find a cop who decides you are a friend, and these really are scumbags, he will let you shoot them, and then shoot him so he has an alibi.
And, if you are woman in a big city, you damn well better have a gun and be willing to use it, unless you want to be raped, beaten or killed.
Big strong boyfriends are useless as they will just be beaten and killed with a pipe.

Now, I just wonder what lessons my wife will learn from this?

If it really was an anti-gun they hide the message very well. Your mileage may vary.

George

cobrian45
February 7, 2008, 09:07 PM
Jodie Foster, bleh

Did someone say Tom Selleck? I'll watch any of his stuff. My wife says I have a man-crush on him. I think she's right.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii235/cobrian45/th_DSCN1012.jpg (http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii235/cobrian45/?action=view&current=DSCN1012.flv)

VforVendetta
February 7, 2008, 09:12 PM
I liked the movie a lot . It won't be movie of the year but it's very good.
Very good pro-gun flick. If that movie doesn't make one pro-gun I don't
know what will.

HogManMagnum
May 25, 2008, 01:13 PM
the movie is worth watching but not worth buying. 2 many plot holes, 2 many coincidences. jodie foster looks like a boy, stance, body language and that haircut. when did clarice become a lesbian? it is a kahr k9, the guy that sells it to her says so and is also mentioned on the kahr website. if she had walked into that gun store 5 minutes later there would have been no movie. this movie is a pro-gun movie because it will make most people want to buy a gun after jodie and her b/f are attacked. i watched it with my g/f and during the attack scene she turned to me and said "this really makes me want to get a gun. it makes me wish i had a closet full of guns." yes it does hunny

i dont give a rats colon what jodie foster personally believes. my only problem is with the ignorant masses, i.e. the viewing public, that give weight to what these 'famus' people believe. they are regular people just like us but because the act for a living all of a sudden their opinion is important? give me a break! the only bad thing is that because they do make millions of dollars a year they are able to contribute more money to the anti-gun causes they any of us working joes can contribute to the NRA. but going as far as not watching movies or shows based soley on the actors views, you must realize that the directors, producers, writers, and the big wigs at the studio of any movie or tv show could be major anti-gun supporters, so how could anybody base their boycott soley on the one person whos face is on the poster for a project involving dozens if not hundreds of people? let her be a hipocrit by making money off guns and gun violence then walking off the set and saying guns are bad.

Blakenzy
May 25, 2008, 03:07 PM
NYC is a crappy place to be a "citizen". The cops won't protect you, but they will go out of their way to make sure you are not protecting yourself.

I've seen the movie and it's a totally pro-gun movie if you ask me. A strong story as to why newyorkers NEED CCWs. The thing that I didn't like about the movie is that she never trained with it, she just bought it, got a few words from the dealer on how to use it, and went on to quickly have a 100% hit ratio in deadly encounters. Her anger must have fueled supernatural ability in her.

If Jodie Foster's intent was to show why people shouldn't be allowed to own guns.... well then she is an idiot.

M203Sniper
May 25, 2008, 04:03 PM
IT'S JODIE FOSTER!!!

would you watch a movie that starred Sarah Brady?! :banghead:

Maybe I'm just too political about certain stuff but she is the WRONG person to pass money too. I have never and will never see one of her movies or have anything to do with her. Another Jane Fonda IMHO. :barf:

"She then attended Yale University at the same time as Jennifer Beals (Flashdance). Foster earned a B.A. in literature and graduated magna cum laude in 1985. She was scheduled to graduate in 1984 but the shooting of then-President Ronald Reagan by John Hinckley, Jr., in which Hinckley's fascination with Foster created unwanted adverse publicity for her, caused her to take a year-long leave of absence from Yale. She was informed of the shooting by fellow classmate, Bernard Gilmore."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodie_Foster

:cuss:

nwilliams
May 26, 2008, 12:24 AM
I liked the movie a lot . It won't be movie of the year but it's very good.Very good pro-gun flick. If that movie doesn't make one pro-gun I don't
know what will.

I saw it as quite the opposite. After seeing her interview on the Daily Show when the movie first released and hearing all the anti-gun blabber pouring out of her mount I realized what the true message of this movie was meant to be. Like the movie Shoot em Up it disguised a very anti-gun message if you read between the lines.

The fact is even though some people may have been cheering for her every time she killed a bad guy there were just as many anti's shacking their heads in disgust that she resorted to violence as an option. The fact is vigilante movies don't represent the essence of what it means to carry a gun for protection. I didn't think this movie was quite as bad as other vigilante movies of the past, at least the tried a little to justify her actions to a degree. Still I didn't get the impression at all that the underlying message of the movie was that people should start carrying guns.

HogManMagnum
May 30, 2008, 12:44 AM
IMO its not about the overall statement the movie makes. its about the emotional effect of the scene where jodie the lez and the lost iraqi get attacked in the park. that scene forcefully reminds people of the dangers that exist out there. it was during that scene that my g/f turned and said "makes u want to have a gun. makes u want to have a closet full of guns"' while at the same moment i was thinking "this is why i have a gun". im sure that most people who see this movie have a similar reaction to that scene, and that is what sticks with u when the movie is over. because, truth be told, the rest of the movie is very forgettable regardless of the intended messege

JCF
May 30, 2008, 12:48 AM
jodie the lez and the lost iraqi

Ummm :uhoh:

Catherine
May 30, 2008, 01:11 AM
I rented it a few weeks after it came out for rental use. A brand new movie for one overnight rental = 99 cents. An older movie = 99cents for 1 week. I would not buy it but I don't buy movies anyway.

The German Shepherd dog was not well trained by them... tunnel scene. I think that they LET their dog OFF the leash or did it get loose from the leash/collar? I can't remember now how the dog got AWAY from them. I think that they let it OFF the leash and that was REALLY STUPID along with some other things in that movie.

I think that she did not want to be a victim in that movie but in some ways... I could see other POINTS that made it seem 'anti gun'.

I guessed the ending of it and I was correct in my guess. I will not disclose it here.

I think that the original Bronson movie made some good points... the VERY first one - Death Wish. His wife gets killed and his daughter never recovers from the attack.

I think that the movie shows where she does NOT want to be a victim anymore but it shows some other points that could make it anti gun to some people.

I am a former German Shepherd, GS mix and mutt dog lady/owner. My dogs were my family - I never had children so my dogs were my KIDS. My late husband's and my KIDS! If they did let their dog loose in that area... I think that they were bad dog owners because something could have happened to that GS PUPPY! It did too! They should have exercised personal responsibility in puppies and in dogs! Too bad that they could not exercise it in GUN ownership according to the NYC 'laws' from the gitgo! Self defense issues for them in that movie! Plus in REAL life for NYC and in other anti gun = anti self defense towns/states for ordinary people... it made some points.

Catherine

HogManMagnum
May 30, 2008, 01:20 AM

Ummm

yeah, cuz jodie was lookin kinda dykie in the movie and her b/f is the iraqi guy from the show lost

geez, am i gonna have to get an overhead projector here?

Born4spd
May 30, 2008, 01:20 AM
here ya cheap bastards :)

http://www.watch-movies.net/movies/the_brave_one/

Thats how i watched it.

JCF
May 30, 2008, 01:28 AM
yeah, cuz jodie was lookin kinda dykie in the movie and her b/f is the iraqi guy from the show lost

Ah, I see... I couldn't quite figure out what kind of movie plot would feature those two characters.

here ya cheap bastards

Handy.

HogManMagnum
May 30, 2008, 01:45 AM

it does have a kinda surreal superhero ring to it...

but yeah, almost everyone ive talked to who has seen this movie has commented on how lezzie jodie foster looked. and her and the guy from lost, or terrance howard for that matter, make a very odd and unlikely couple

mr.72
May 30, 2008, 09:05 AM
FWIW seeing this movie is one of a number of things that convinced me to buy a gun.

I also thought it was a pretty good movie. I rented it as a non-gun-owner and then a month or two later I was a gun owner. What it did is clearly illustrate how vulnerable you are without a gun, and how much less vulnerable you are with one, even if you are a certified bleeding-heart left-wing talk show host.

Superlite27
May 30, 2008, 09:44 AM
lookin kinda dykie

Soooo.......What are you trying to say? What if someone WANTS to look "dykie"? Souldn't they be allowed to? Or maybe you believe that "lookin kinda dykie" is not acceptable? Maybe everyone should look just like you? Huh?

I think HogManMagnum "looking kinda missed the title of this forum"

IT IS CALLED THE HIGHROAD. I'm sure there are senior members here (maybe some Pink Pistols folks) "lookin kinda dykie" who don't care what other fellow gun owner's appearances may be. Evidently HMM is not one of them.

csmkersh
May 30, 2008, 10:33 AM
How many here have seen Shooter (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822854/)? How many have gritched at Wahlberg's anti-gun stance in real life?

Cannonball888
May 30, 2008, 10:36 AM
here ya cheap bastards

http://www.watch-movies.net/movies/the_brave_one/

Thats how i watched it.
Wow. A bootleg movie site. I love the filmed-in-a-movie theater version with Indian subtitles.

tntwatt
May 30, 2008, 10:43 AM
Whatever her intent, Foster did us a great favor. She showed a good guy win. The message I got from this flick was that bad guys will be bad and good guys should be able to fight back. Heck, even the cop in the film has this attitude.
This is most definitely a progun flick. It will reach millions. Her anti-gun statements won't.
I talked to the anti's at work who'd seen the film and they said they thought it was very pro. None of them could tell me Foster's actual stance on gun control.

HogManMagnum
May 30, 2008, 07:11 PM
Superlite27, im not trying to offend anyone here. i was simply noting what myself and quite a few others that watched this film noticed- that jodie foster, an actress who is not known to be in (or out) of the closet was looking very dykie in this film. i dont know why or how this happened and i dont care either way. its just that i (and apparently many others) were caught off guard by it.

if u were bothered by my mentioning it then i apologize for having eyes. but her hair, wardrobe and posture/body language in this movie were not the most feminine and i wasnt aware that we werent supposed to comment when we notice these kinds of things.

jakk280rem
May 31, 2008, 01:55 AM
i've got the dvd sitting about a foot away. decent, but your money is better spent on ammo. if you really want to see it, borrow it from a friend. or wait for it to hit hbo. if you collect "gun movies", wait for it to hit the 5.00 bin at wally world.

mr.72
May 31, 2008, 09:02 AM
one thing I liked about this movie was that it is smart, and much more honest in terms of human emotion than something like "Death Wish", or the utterly stupid contemporary "Death Sentence". like someone else said in this thread, when you see that scene where they get attacked in the tunnel, even the most anti-gun zealot is going to have this nagging feeling that if the innocents were armed, they'd be much more likely to survive. Then you see the main character go through that same transformation, not all at once or in a quick shot of revenge, but more as a realization of their own vulnerability and that of their fellow man. Once she gets a gun, suddenly she is no longer a victim, and she is intolerant of seeing others victimized. That's a pretty strong message. Not necessarily pro-gun, but definitely pro-self-defense.

csmkersh
May 31, 2008, 10:32 AM
My library has it in stock. You might check your's for the movie.

BrianB
May 31, 2008, 10:49 AM
How many here have seen Shooter? How many have gritched at Wahlberg's anti-gun stance in real life?

Saw it. Bought the DVD. I like movies but rarely the actors' politics. Occasionally I'll be pleasantly surprised, but remember, it's just a huge paycheck to them.

Blackfork
May 31, 2008, 10:55 AM
The most insulting part of the movie was the segment where she bought the pistol- or tried to in a shop full of unfriendly clerks and then was targeted by a guy who had an illegal gun to sell. Very imaginary and unreal. In real life that guy would have the the police at best and ripping her off at worst.

If a cute, but ignorant woman comes in to buy a pistol I doubt she is going to get the disrespectful brush off that she got from the clerks. At worst they are going to think SHE is the ATF out for a sting.

indie
June 23, 2008, 02:20 PM
i have blockbuster online and added it to my list while it was still in theaters. It happened to be delivered to my home right after engaging in a recent discussion with my wife over my choice to attain a CCW permit and buy a CCW weapon.

She watched this movie with me, and the situations pretty much demonstrated the lack of control we have against multiple bad guys or an armed bad guy when placed in a bad bad situation.

The store encounter in particular resonated with my wife, because it was a situation that unfolded in a split second, and there was no flight option.

I think she now has a visual image to put with the expression, "its better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it."

I wouldnt write off this movie simply because of Jodie Fosters stance on guns. I think this movie will make many people think twice about not only the handgun as a life saver, but also about situational awareness, and how quickly things can get out of control, despite our situational awareness.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Brave One" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!