300 grain Gdhp expansion in wood

PDA

FLORIDA KEVIN
February 3, 2008, 03:54 PM
i had the oportunity the other day to shoot a few of my handloads at something other than paper target ! I was shooting .454 casull loads using Lilgun powder and Speer GDHP 300 grain bullets ! The first victim was a honeydew melon , which was nearly vaporized ! The second target was a pressure treated 4x4 shot end on ! The bullet was recovered after 18 1/2 inches of penetration !what surprized me was that the bullet showed zero expansion ! except for the rifling marks I could have reloaded it and shot it again ! Not too scientific ,but it was fun and intersesting ! Kevin

If you enjoyed reading about "300 grain Gdhp expansion in wood" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Diggers
February 3, 2008, 04:20 PM
Wow it went 18+ inches in a 4x4 and didn't bust out the side? That’s impressive.

Weird that it didn't expand at all, I wonder if its because there was something (wood) solid all around the bullet.?

rcmodel
February 3, 2008, 04:38 PM
JHP handgun bullets will seldom if ever expand in dry wood.

Hollow-points depend on hydraulic pressure to make them expand.

Without a fluid medium of some form to blow them open, they can't expand.
That can be sand, or water, or blood, or muscle tissue.
But wood won't do it.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

FLORIDA KEVIN
February 4, 2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the explaination RC ! That makes sense ! maybe next time we will line up a bunch of melons in a row and see how many we can get through ! Kevin

GLOCK45GUY
February 4, 2008, 02:01 PM
Upon entry, the wood actually pinches down the point a bit, trying to close the hollow point

If you enjoyed reading about "300 grain Gdhp expansion in wood" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!