New to me MKVI Enfield revolver.

PDA

Checkman
February 3, 2008, 05:49 PM
I picked up an Enfield 1925 Mk VI yesterday. Yes it's been shaved for 45 acp/45 AR, but I don't care. It's in excellent shape both mechanically and finish wise. I took it apart yesterday and nothing is busted. Yes it's an Enfield clone, but beggers can't be choosy. I'm very pleased with it's condition.

I've been wanting a MK VI since I was fourteen. I'm forty today so that gives you an idea. For many years I just didn't have the money, then we lived in Germany and New York then we were settling in somewhere else and then I got busy buying other guns. Finally I realized I had never gotten a MK VI and I discovered that they just aren't very common any more, or cheap.

So yesterday I got one. It wasn't cheap, but sometimes you have to do that if it's something you've always wanted. I'll post photos later.

Next one is a Mauser C96 Broomhandle. Now I really need to start saving up my funds.

If you enjoyed reading about "New to me MKVI Enfield revolver." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Joe the Redneck
February 3, 2008, 06:59 PM
I have one from 1928 and love it.

I would like to be the first one to tell you that using the 45 acp will cause your gun to exploed and you legs to fall off and the Sun to drop from the sky. :)

People say stuff like that all the time. I've never had a problem. Mine likes lead a whole lot more than FMJ. The 45 slug is undersized, I get a lot of keyholing. If you reload, try moving up to a slightly larger slug.

Georgia arms sell the 45 autorim. I have some but haven't shot it yet.

As much as I joke about the ammo, do use a little common sense. No hot rodding self defense loads. There are old guns, the screws do get loose. Keep them tight, use mild loads and you should be fine.

Joe

Checkman
February 3, 2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks. My dad reloads 45 acp and he has already assured me that he has just the recipe for my "sissy British gun". Actually he was just kidding as well, but he is going to load me some mild 45 lead semi-wadcutters. Mainly because he has a bunch of those wadcutters on hand.

Deanimator
February 3, 2008, 11:32 PM
Yes it's an Enfield clone, but beggers can't be choosy.

Are you sure you mean Enfield and not Webley? The later .38 Enfields are clones of the Webley. The Crown thought the Webleys cost too much, then when they couldn't make enough Enfields for the war, ended up buying Webleys anyway.

Eric F
February 4, 2008, 12:19 PM
Enfields can be found in both 38 and 45 the 38 is way more common though

Checkman
February 4, 2008, 08:06 PM
Deanimator Are you sure you mean Enfield and not Webley?

As I understand it the Enfield factory (i.e. the British goverment) manufactured the Mk VI from 1921 - 1926 for the British military. It is stamped Enfield Mk VI 1925 on the right hand side of the frame.

Deanimator
February 4, 2008, 08:50 PM
As I understand it the Enfield factory (i.e. the British goverment) manufactured the Mk VI from 1921 - 1926 for the British military. It is stamped Enfield Mk VI 1925 on the right hand side of the frame.
The difference is that the .38 Enfields are a different, albeit only slightly, gun than the Webleys. To the best of my knowledge, there is no meaningful difference between an Enfield produced .455 and a Webley produced one.

Ash
February 4, 2008, 09:28 PM
Exactly. How else did Enfield get the expertise to rip Webley off?

Ash

Checkman
February 4, 2008, 10:23 PM
I guess I'm not following you Deanimator. I've been told that in England the goverment can copy designs if it's in Defense of the Realm or something like that.

What I was saying is that my Mk VI is a clone of the Webley Mk VI manufactured at the goverment arsenal. It's also in the 455 caliber. Am I missing something?

It is not a No. 2 Mk I in 38/200.

Ash
February 5, 2008, 01:03 PM
Checkman, you are right. The Mk VI is indeed a clone of the Webley Mk VI. Or, a licensed-built one, I cannot recall.

The #2mk1 Enfield is a close rip-off of the Webley #IV 38 - and yes rip-off is what it was regardless of the law. Webley submits a new design and the government says "No, thank you." and then begins producing their own modified copy. It was not to suppliment existing orders, but to replace. That's a rip-off. If Webley could not meet quotas, that would have been different.

I know I wouldn't have been real interested in dealing with the British government with my own designs after that. (But, I do like the Brits so this isn't an anti-British thing).

Ash

Checkman
February 5, 2008, 03:45 PM
Yeah there are times when British politics and attitudes drive me crazy. But I also like the British, for the most part. I guess in a way I'm an Anglophile. Go figure. :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "New to me MKVI Enfield revolver." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!