Winchester 9mm Flat Base or Hollow Base - what's the significance?

PDA

IMtheNRA
February 3, 2008, 07:07 PM
Both types of 115-grain bullets are being considered for blasting ammo. Why are there two types of bases? Any difference in performance or load data? Should I care about this difference in bullet construction? :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 9mm Flat Base or Hollow Base - what's the significance?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
February 3, 2008, 07:09 PM
Load em both the same. Blast away. Have fun. :)

W-231, AA #5, WSF, & N330 have all done very well by me for 115 Grain blasting loads.

sublimaze41
February 4, 2008, 02:28 AM
I just loaded 2,500 of 'em. I used AA#7 @8.3 grains. Accurate, nice FPS, feeds like butter. I case gauged every round using once fired brass, I would say 99.8% were fine. That is a fair priced FMJ. Since Rainier have raised their price I have made my move to these.

Crimp
February 4, 2008, 09:39 AM
I wonder if the hollow bases would obturate better with a light target load? I've been using Win 115gr JHPs and the flat base 124gr FMJs for awhile now and am very happy with them. I notice TJ Conevera is out of stock and I'm wondering where is the best price for them these days.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 9mm Flat Base or Hollow Base - what's the significance?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!