Buckshot load in.45 colt?

PDA

JCT
February 3, 2008, 07:11 PM
I've been loading 100's of birdshot loads in .45 colt lately. 6 grains American select, a card wad, scoop of #8 shot a wad and room for elmers to seal it up. They work great and it's fun to play jokes at the range ( people see ,me hit clays or cans every time! )....
So, I was thinking, I can fit 2 #0 buckshot in the case and seal it all up. Will this be safe to use? I can't see why not, but I though I'd ask here since I'm sure others have tried this before.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buckshot load in.45 colt?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
suemarkp
February 3, 2008, 07:20 PM
You could, but its a little light (#0 buckshot only weigh about 50 grains each). So use a powder charge suitable for a 100gr payload and try to find a way to provide some resistance to the expanding power gas. What would be be better is 4 if they fit, or two 000 buck (about 150gr), or two .451 round balls (about 280gr). I'd probably use faster powders except perhaps in a dual .451 ball load.

Ol` Joe
February 3, 2008, 08:01 PM
I knew a guy once that loaded 2 buck shot in a 357 with a light charge of Unique. I don`t remember the shot size but, they were very close to bore size. I do remember he used a gas check for a over the powder wad with the balls setting on top, and as a cap on the load. The top gas check had the case mouth roll crimped lightly over it to hold everything together.
They dropped rabbits well, but bounced off tree trunks at times, and weren`t very safe if others were too close. I`ve no idea of the velocity they ran.

Steve C
February 3, 2008, 09:19 PM
I knew a guy that would load 3 00 buck into a .357 Speer shot cup and shoot Grouse with them for camp food using a Ruger BH. He said they worked well if you aimed for the head, one of the shot would take it off.

FLORIDA KEVIN
February 4, 2008, 09:28 AM
000 buck is listed at .36 cal

suemarkp
February 4, 2008, 11:53 PM
But the inside diameter of a 38 cal Speer shotcup is .300, so it would have to have been #1 buck. These cups are only .9" long too, so it couldn't have been larger than #1 buck if a shotcup was used. Three #1 bucks would weight about 120 grains.

FLORIDA KEVIN
February 9, 2008, 05:32 PM
Oh i understand now ! I didnt realize you were using a shotcup with the buckshot ! thanks Kevin

If you enjoyed reading about "Buckshot load in.45 colt?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!