Inertial puller broken... Alternatives until I can get a new one?

PDA

.45Guy
February 3, 2008, 09:49 PM
Does anyone have any ideas that would leave the components in loadable condition?

If you enjoyed reading about "Inertial puller broken... Alternatives until I can get a new one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
airsmithy
February 3, 2008, 10:26 PM
What is broken on your puller?

I broke the screw on cap on mine, called the manufacturer, and they sent me a new one free of charge. You may want to give that a try.

By the way, how did you brake yours? I broke mine by pulling while angery, and didn't make sure the cap was securley screwed on. Found the collet on one side of the room, with the brass still in, and the broken pieces of the cap on the other side.

Anyway, good luck,

Dave

Sport45
February 3, 2008, 10:50 PM
Did you break the handle? If so, just put the cartridge in as usual, hold the head of the puller upside down in one hand and strike the end with a hammer. You'll loose some powder around the gaps in the collet, but the brass and bullet should be okay. I wouldn't try this with bullets that are hard to pull with inertia (like .223).

You could also take the die out of a your press and see if the ram will take the cartridge high enough to expose the bullet above the press. Grab the bullet with a padded pair of pliers and lower the ram. I've done this many times with a pair of wirecutters when I wasn't worried about keeping the bullet.

evan price
February 3, 2008, 11:15 PM
You could just set the bad stuff aside in a clearly marked container as to what the problem is, and wait until a new puller arrives. Teh Innernet makes it easy to have one at your door in a couple days if no shop in your area.

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
February 3, 2008, 11:16 PM
I highly recommend the Collet Puller from RCBS. I use it for jacketed bullets and a Kinetic puller for lead loads.

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/,DanaInfo=shop.rcbs.com+MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=3700

They have collets for just about every caliber, but I have found that each collet will often work for bullets one size larger/smaller than it is stamped.

Ive used this thing for years and found it to pull bullets with least frustration, and most often they are quite reloadable. I don't know that I'd use those pulled bullets in a final match championship series, but I wouldn't hesitate to re-use/fire them after pulling with a collet puller.

-Steve

Jim Watson
February 3, 2008, 11:36 PM
Uh, quit loading defective ammunition?

.45Guy
February 4, 2008, 08:45 AM
Uh, quit loading defective ammunition?
Uh, how about I'm pulling "highly valuable" antique ammo with shot primers for the .351" bullets. M'kay Jim.

jethro75
February 4, 2008, 09:10 AM
+ 1 on, "I highly recommend the Collet Puller from RCBS. I use it for jacketed bullets and a Kinetic puller for lead loads."

It actually made pulling bullets fun compared to the hammer puller.

Some say hornadys is a little better system.

.45Guy
February 4, 2008, 09:44 AM
Will the collet chew up really soft jackets though?

Sport45
February 4, 2008, 11:35 AM
So what's broken on your puller? A shell holder will replace the collet nicely.

.45Guy
February 4, 2008, 11:52 AM
The plastic that the handle threads into. Apparently it doesn't take much to crack it when you have a stubborn round.:cuss:

Sport45
February 4, 2008, 12:03 PM
Try my first suggestion of holding the thing upside down and smacking it with a hammer. You might be surprised. Heavy, large diameter bullets usually aren't hard to pull with inertia. If you don't trust yourself to hold on to it you can hold it on a folded blanket or just about anything that will let it give a bit when the hammer lands.

You can make your own field expedient inertia bullet puller with a short piece of 2x4. Just drill a hole near the end through the edge about 3" deep that's slightly larger diameter than the case. stuff a foam ear plug in the bottom to catch the bullet. Place the cartridge in a shell holder, insert it in the hole and tape the whole mess in with duct tape. A few whacks on the vice will dislodge the bullet. Not pretty, but it will work. (Fred Flinstone probably pulled bullets this way.)

jethro75
February 4, 2008, 01:19 PM
"Will the collet chew up really soft jackets though?"

I have used them on different plated and jacketed bullets and when set up properly they dint even leave a mark that I can see.

.45Guy
February 4, 2008, 01:38 PM
Eh, I just picked up another cheapie. I'll have to go easier on it though.

Hoosier Reloader
February 4, 2008, 06:26 PM
Go with a collet puller & enjoy many years of pulling any kind of bullet you want. Collets are not that expensive. No muss, no fuss.

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
February 4, 2008, 10:18 PM
It makes pulling bullets simple. Not as noisy. Not frustrating at all. No mess when the hammer breaks. Any more than just a few rounds, then the Kinetic puller process gets old really fast.

-Steve

BigJakeJ1s
February 4, 2008, 10:21 PM
The new model hornady is quicker to use than the RCBS, especially since they added the fine adjustment lock ring (in addition to the die's lock ring); just throw the cam lever and pull the bullet. It works fine on lead bullets too.

Andy

Capt. Capsize
February 29, 2008, 09:27 PM
I think what you wack the puller on determines how many wacks and how long the puller will last. I wack mine on a 30 lb. block of pure lead. It is soft enough to take the ringgg out and solid enough to require usually two wacks. Just my two cents.

lee n. field
February 29, 2008, 10:05 PM
Inertial puller broken... Alternatives until I can get a new one?

Huh? Just order a new one. They're not expensive.

moosehunt
March 2, 2008, 04:03 PM
Sport45--That is good, handy info. Pretty crafty! Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Inertial puller broken... Alternatives until I can get a new one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!