Has your job made you "mean"?

PDA

hso
January 11, 2003, 10:28 AM
I've found that my job of the last 10 years has made me a little "mean". I spend much of my time helping the folks I work for, but large blocks of my time are tied up in conflicts with clients, coworkers, or regulators. This can go on for weeks and sometimes months if I'm involved in a project that has dishonest, deceptive, or just plain arrogantly stupid people. I get into a very cynical predatory mode of behavior and I've found it carries over to the rest of the time and has taken longer and longer to shed once I'm out of the conflict.

Who of you have the same problem?

If you enjoyed reading about "Has your job made you "mean"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wardmclark
January 11, 2003, 10:33 AM
I'm self-employed, so I'm generally pretty pleased. My boss is a pretty good fella, all around. :D

Gordon
January 11, 2003, 10:39 AM
Wellcome to the real world. I think you can see the purpose of religion now, not to get mean.:)

AZTOY
January 11, 2003, 10:39 AM
hso

I agree some job can realy get to you.

What you need to do is spend more time at the range. Shoot a few mag and you will feel great!!!:D

Neal Bloom
January 11, 2003, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't say it has made me mean. I do not trust people as much as before as I have seen way too much backstabbing in the workplace. Some people do it just to do it as it must make them feel good. There certainly seems to be a lack of integrity and ethics in the workplace. I guess when people see the CEO's and top management of major organizations fleece the organization they feel it is okay to lower their level of integrity.

PCRCCW
January 11, 2003, 10:54 AM
In all honesty....at times ...the frustration and general feeling of being overwhelmed by stupid people...makes me nuts....being mean is sometimes a typical reaction.
My 6 year old...Boo said it best " More times than not..when someone is very very mad/mean...its because there heart is very very sad ...sad turns into mad".....true story....
Shes very wise.......Shoot well

4v50 Gary
January 11, 2003, 11:11 AM
Not mean but certainly less sensitive. I dislike whiners and hate liars.

JamisJockey
January 11, 2003, 11:17 AM
Not at all. More stressed out, more frazzled, but not 'meaner' in any sense. If I want to be mean, I just remember that there's a couple kids on thier way to Grandma's house on that Seven-fifty-seven and its not thier fault the piolt's being a jackass...so maybe I won't unnecessarily delay them....now them private pilots are a different sort. Don't trifle with me, or you're going to be late!
:neener:

NewShooter78
January 11, 2003, 11:21 AM
My job had really made me a meaner person...when I'm working. I do security at a couple of night clubs on the weekend, and I'm around some of the worst people society has to offer. I guess that I'm more of a bitter person than mean, but none the less, I am not someone you would want to be around until monday afternoon.

I used to have a corporate job, and even though that was bad enough, it didn't affect me the same way my weekend work does. I guess that its a different atmosphere, because when you have to babysit drunk a**holes all night long you get tired of it real quickly.

TallPine
January 11, 2003, 12:03 PM
I just get tired of people everywhere who play power politics instead of just doing their job. Maybe the truth is that they CAN'T do their job, so they spend all their efforts at tearing down other people to try to make themselves look good.

But the same behavior applies to more than just work - I see it in the anti-Whatever movements and in churches where people strive for control by using the bible and "sin" as a weapon to hold over people.

ojibweindian
January 11, 2003, 12:19 PM
I love my job and think the people that I work with are great! It;s the drive to and from Huntsville, Alabama that makes me mean.

sm
January 11, 2003, 12:20 PM
Interesting question & timing.

I looking for a job, spent 35 years exposed to retail, and some years in a hospital enviroment.

I think perhaps today its not the JOB as much as the attitudes, politics, backstabbing, Control Freak, with some Gov't meddling mixed in. Coupled with the Work ethic people have-or lack of.

Mean, Nah--perhaps more cynical, less patient with whiners, liars and cheats, but then again not real fond of that type in the first place.

Ijust finished speaking to Mom, and a couple of good friends, ages run from 41-73, funny we used to enjoy the work interaction,but a point well made was a mom and pop store is so busy with gov't paperwork and meddlin' hard to get any work done...that person actually felt resentment, she sold the family business,and retired.

Yohan
January 11, 2003, 12:21 PM
Nothing like a good trip to the gun range to cure your mean fit.

Preacherman
January 11, 2003, 12:21 PM
I have to constantly struggle against this problem. I'm a pastor, with very explicit and deeply-rooted beliefs: but I work as a Chaplain at a maximum-security prison, where the inmates are typically individuals who have at least spat in the face of everything I hold dear. They will come to me, and make use of my services and assistance, but 9 out of 10 will also try to manipulate, use and abuse me and the Religious Services function in any way they can to further their criminal intentions. One can become very hardened and cynical, very easily... It takes real effort to stop this from happening, and to remember, every day, that no matter how badly this racist, sexually warped, scheming, criminal scumbag is p***ing me off right now, Jesus Christ still died for him, and God's mercy is still available to him, right up to the moment of his death, if only he will genuinely and sincerely repent of his sins and receive Christ. Some days, it's easier than others... but it's always a challenge.

Ledbetter
January 11, 2003, 12:29 PM
I am a public works construction attorney working for the county (a Deputy County Counsel). My responsibilities include being the attorney for all the "special districts" (sanitary/lighting etc.) administered by the county and getting roads, bridges and flood control improvements built.

I work with:
1. other attorneys
2. the low bidder on every project
3. developers
4. politicians
5. surety bond/insurance companies
6. FEMA, Fish & Game, governmental regulators, environmental groups, etc.

It is a fine thing to go make some smoke on the weekend at the range and forget about my job and the characters who inhabit it.

http://www.countyofsb.org/counsel/staff.htm

Tady45
January 11, 2003, 12:36 PM
Well,
Yes and no...I have worked a number of Hotel security jobs the past several years. I have delt with drug od's domestic violence, thiefs, sucides, and general all around low lifes, and these are 4 and 5 star hotels! While I don't think that I have become mean I do understand that one must have an edge to deal with these folks. You get lied to many times, and my heart hurts a tad when I hear them explain their various plights. I also realize that emotional involment can get you wronged or even hurt.

Larry

Johnpl
January 11, 2003, 12:49 PM
"Illegitimis non carborundum"...Latin for "Don't let the b******* wear you down."

I try to remember that the people who are making me miserable would be happy knowing that they've made me miserable, so I try my best not to let that happen.

KP95DAO
January 11, 2003, 01:00 PM
The worst part of my job is when fellow staff members display attributes which should be expected of the convicts.

Am I meaner after 12 years? I don't think so. In fact I have mellowed quite a bit. I think that is due mostly to being 12 years older and on the back half of the 40s.

A few hours at the range is quite therapeutic for whatever ails me.

Gewehr98
January 11, 2003, 01:06 PM
We use the term "punchy" to describe our crew inter-personal relationships after flying that long together. Luckily, post and pre-mission crew rest alleviates the symptoms, as does the local beer. ;)

DeltaElite
January 11, 2003, 01:08 PM
I can be mean when I need to be. It's the cop in me.
Primarily I am a negotiaotor and mediator for people who are chronologically adults, but not mature like an adult should be.

I hope someday to work with adults. :banghead:

Monkeyleg
January 11, 2003, 05:16 PM
It seems for me that the people in my industry have changed over the last decade. There's no loyalty, no honesty, and no scuples. Out of the hundreds of people I know professionally, I can only think of one or two whom I would trust.

It doesn't make me mean per se, but it does sadden me. I still try to conduct myself in an ethical manner, and that gratification takes some of the edge off the situation.

Even better, though, is spending just a couple of hours at the range. Non-shooters never understand what a cathartic experience shooting is.

telewinz
January 11, 2003, 05:23 PM
Sounds like a typical day at the office for me. The mentally challenged have to work too I guess.:banghead:

TarpleyG
January 11, 2003, 05:48 PM
Corporate America sucks!!!

There are so many back-stabbing, blood-sucking, a-holes at my job I just feel like throwing in the towel sometimes. The people that I work directly with are all a pretty good bunch, but to hell with the rest. You never know from day-to-day if you'll be employed. What ever happened to loyalty?

And yes, to answer your question, I can be downright nasty at work sometimes.

GT

Apple a Day
January 11, 2003, 06:06 PM
I am a high school teacher. I see kids who will become lawyers, preachers, child molesters, murderers... they ALL come through my classroom. They ALL have parents of every sort. They are ALL teenagers, which means it's their full time job to push buttons.
At times it's tough to keep from getting mean. Between the politicians, the underwhelming pay, the derision from people in the community- also people on posting boards such as this who tear into me for working in a "gumint skool"- the kids trying to get away with everything, and the parents who alternately dare me/plead with me to correct their children... yeah, sometimes I slip and get a lot more sarcastic, angry, and frustrated that I probably should. Mostly I get depressed. I lose hope.
Count ten, give the world a big one-finger salute, and keep fighting the good fight. They can kill you, they can eat you, but they can't break you. :neener:

BenW
January 11, 2003, 06:59 PM
I am a public works construction attorney working for the county (a Deputy County Counsel). My responsibilities include being the attorney for all the "special districts" (sanitary/lighting etc.) administered by the county and getting roads, bridges and flood control improvements built.
Well, I finally know who to complain to about the Castillo St underpass at the 101.:evil:

Betty
January 11, 2003, 08:43 PM
This thread has about zero to do with guns... but might potential to relate to them.... hmmmm..... :scrutiny:

For over two years I've worked for Stewart in the publishing business (for those who aren't familiar with my boss, do a search on TFL), and in those two years, because of the tactless and downright stupid maneuvers he's done, I've had to worry about using my CCW. (For instance, Stewart stupidly hired a guy fresh out of prison, he ended up getting fired, and the guy comes back threatening to off the boss with a shotgun. For quite some time we were worried about him coming to our office and carrying out his threat.)

I've experienced lying, cheating, and all sorts of unsavory things going on - from rigging awards to salespeople lying and cheating money out of ad contracts and more. I've experienced working with a bigger corporate identity that chewed us out and spat us back up.

I've seen the editorial and sales staff praise themselves for a job well done, and blame the production staff for everything that goes wrong, when the editorial side miss their deadlines every issue and the sales staff take vacations in the middle of deadline. We in the production staff diligently work late at night to compensate for their incompetance, and yet we're bickered at at every opportunity.

Through all of this I've had plenty of opportunites to be influenced and become as corrupt. But I haven't. I feel I'm still as morally pure as when I first got hired, and watching what goes on around me only reinforces my standards. Watching the outrageous silliness of my co-workers at office parties enforces my belief that it's good to stay in Condition Yellow and not drink myself into oblivion. 99% of them are liberal bliss-ninnies, and most of what they have to say would make THR collectively regurgitate.

Watching them reinforces the belief that I'm doing and what I believe in is right.

Fed168
January 11, 2003, 08:48 PM
Not as much mean as assertive. Toss in a tad of cynicism and low tolerance of bovine scatology and that is about it.

wingman
January 11, 2003, 08:57 PM
It seems for me that the people in my industry have changed over the last decade. There's no loyalty, no honesty, and no scuples. Out of the hundreds of people I know professionally, I can only think of one or two whom I would trust. "

As a retired person(I am happy about
that) over the previous 40 years I have
seen changes but nothing like the last
12, dishonesty, rude and lazy in the
work place, all I can say is at one time
it was not this way, the question is
will it change again or only get worse.?

gburner
January 11, 2003, 10:23 PM
Twelve years in Corrections...on the 'correcting' side of the equation, then
7 years as a counselor for unfortunates who dwell in the lower depths made me incredibly mean, depressed and ultimately borderline suicidal. I was excellent at what I did, but I internalized so much stress, anger and loathing that I came to the realization that I was killing myself while trying to help others get well. This, of course, took a toll on my wife, kids and other relationships. I chucked it all about 1 1/2 years ago and never looked back. TFL taught me the importance of comeraderie in something positive and meaningful. I'm glad it's being carried on in THR. Now let's all hold hands and sing 'Kumbaya'.

duck hunt
January 11, 2003, 10:49 PM
I spent nine years in juvenile treatment and corrections. I stopped believing in the welfare system, rehabilitation, goverment programs and the drug war. My job made me a libertarian.

:banghead:

NJ3
January 11, 2003, 10:57 PM
I know I've gotten meaner after 15 years at the same place dealing with the same headaches day after day.

pinetree64
January 12, 2003, 10:18 AM
The commute to/from work is what has made me mean. Watching all the in-considerate idiots driving in emergency lanes, blocking intersections... makes me pine for the simplier life. Work just numbs me.

tjg

bpisler
January 12, 2003, 07:51 PM
My job as a fuel truck driver has not made me meaner but i'am not fond of the dumb*** drivers i got to share the roads with.

bpisler
January 12, 2003, 07:53 PM
My job as a fuel truck driver has not made me meaner but i'am not fond of the dumb*** drivers i got to share the roads with.

bpisler
January 12, 2003, 07:53 PM

bpisler
January 12, 2003, 07:54 PM

bpisler
January 12, 2003, 07:55 PM

bpisler
January 12, 2003, 07:56 PM

bpisler
January 12, 2003, 07:56 PM

bpisler
January 12, 2003, 07:57 PM

Atticus
January 12, 2003, 10:00 PM
We believe you man! :D

Atticus
January 12, 2003, 10:01 PM
We believe you man! :D Glad to see I'm not the only one having posting issues.

50 Shooter
January 12, 2003, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't say "mean", just "FED UP!!!"

I work a union job and this means that I have to put up with the companies BS along with the unions. Yeah yeah, "live better work union my A$$!" There are three unions that represent us, the BLE, UTU and the switchmans union. The BLE and UTU are at war with each other, all the while the company takes advantage of this and attacks the employees.

Union Pacific's policy is "we will deliver". The employees policy is "you can't spell stUPid without U.P."! The stories of their stupidity is endless and the way they treat their employees is down right deplorable. I use to try to do a good job and get my work done as fast as possible but seeing how they don't care about that, I have given up! I would rather recline the seat in the cab and (go to sleep) read my safety manual then make an effort to get the train where it has to go.

Putting half inch holes in things makes me happy.

50 Shooter
January 12, 2003, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't say "mean", just "FED UP!!!"

I work a union job and this means that I have to put up with the companies BS along with the unions. Yeah yeah, "live better work union my A$$!" There are three unions that represent us, the BLE, UTU and the switchmans union. The BLE and UTU are at war with each other, all the while the company takes advantage of this and attacks the employees.

Union Pacific's policy is "we will deliver". The employees policy is "you can't spell stUPid without U.P."! The stories of their stupidity is endless and the way they treat their employees is down right deplorable. I use to try to do a good job and get my work done as fast as possible but seeing how they don't care about that, I have given up! I would rather recline the seat in the cab and (go to sleep) read my safety manual then make an effort to get the train where it has to go.

Putting half inch holes in things makes me happy.

xjer
January 12, 2003, 11:17 PM
YES without a doubt.

It was the lying that got to me. It kept me :fire: all the time.
After eight years I left the keys on my desk and locked the
doors. I am now self employed, make half as much and walk
250' to work every morning. Life is great. I have truly been blessed.

It has been almost 2 years the meanest (sp?) will go away:)

PATH
January 12, 2003, 11:29 PM
Not meaner, Just older, wiser, and less tolerant of BS than I used to be!

PATH
January 12, 2003, 11:31 PM
Not meaner, Just older, wiser, and less tolerant of BS!

PATH
January 12, 2003, 11:32 PM
Not meaner, Just older, wiser, and less tolerant of BS!

yesterdaysyouth
January 12, 2003, 11:33 PM
i do throw things alot more....

have a terrible attitude now....

and i like it... :rolleyes:

P12
January 12, 2003, 11:49 PM
I try to remember that the people who are making me miserable would be happy knowing that they've made me miserable, so I try my best not to let that happen. So true.

If you REEEEAAALLLY want to make someone mad, just keep grinning and be nice to them and watch the blood vessels on the side of their neck EXPLODE!:D

Miserable people love company. Just don't join them. And you'll win!

armabill
January 13, 2003, 01:40 AM
Nope. I like my job and do it to the best of my ability. I consider myself lucky to have a job. Most of the people in my previous shop have been laid off.

Now with the new contract language, my chances of not being laid off have increased. Instead of going by senority, as they use to, volunteers for lay off can now be accepted to save the least senior employee.

It's a win-win situation all the way around.

If you enjoyed reading about "Has your job made you "mean"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!