best bullet

PDA

mike6161
February 4, 2008, 04:00 PM
I m looking to reload my own SD rounds what company has the best 357 mag bullet for SD. what do you use for you SD or hunting rounds

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "best bullet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
strat81
February 4, 2008, 04:29 PM
Be cognizant of the potential legal ramifications of handloading your own SD rounds.

Anyway, Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Saber, Winchester Silvertips, and Hornady XTPs are all available as components. IMO, the differences in expansion are academic and the Hornadys have a reputation for being the most accurate but with less expansion than the others.

Semiwadcutters are also popular for SD out of a revolver.

mike6161
February 4, 2008, 04:37 PM
Why should I be concerned about reloading my own SD rounds
Thanks for the help

04JRB
February 4, 2008, 05:25 PM
It is concievable that an attorny going after you could say you formulated a superior and perfect round. This is only what Ive read. With that , I use factory ammo in my SD gun. I reload for everything else.

res45
February 4, 2008, 05:41 PM
I use a Mossberg 500 12 ga. loaded with #4 buck and a factory Security Cylinder Bore barrel,not to much Superior about that except you cant miss. As far as my 357 it only gets Hard Cast bullets.
http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/product.asp?prod=469477

rcmodel
February 4, 2008, 05:43 PM
Hornady XTP's are my favorite bullets.

Speer Gold-Dot's are also very very good, but may need a special die seating stem to keep from deforming them as they are softer then conventional jacked bullets.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

LeonCarr
February 4, 2008, 06:18 PM
One of the best .357 loads for self defense is the Remington 125 grain SJHP. The bullet used in that load is also available for handloading. I personally would use the factory load in the gun for self defense, and use a handload that duplicates factory velocities for practice. The factory load is also available in the 100 round value pack at Wal-Mart :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

strat81
February 4, 2008, 06:50 PM
Why should I be concerned about reloading my own SD rounds
One of the popular gun writers, I think Massad Ayoob, has stated that in the event you must use your firearm for SD, the prosecutor will argue that you intentionally loaded "extra deadly" rounds. Considering that certain (but not all) types of factory ammo can be a bit on the mild side, his argument makes sense.

Now, in all of the posts I've seen mentioning this, I have not seen anyone cite a case where this did in fact happen. Possibly because the number of people who CCW is relatively low and the number of folks who also handload is even lower than that.

IMO, if you do get involved in a SD shooting, one less thing to worry about, the better. But again, I am not a lawyer, cop, or judge, and I am only relating the "common wisdom" of people who have been doing this longer than me. I know I've read about folks on this forum who do carry their own reloads.

Many folks recommend finding out what local PD carries and carrying the same. ("The police use it, so it can't be extra deadly!") Additionally, some SD bullets are not available as components such as the Bonded Golden Saber and the Hydra-Shok.

If you are looking for seriously loaded SD ammo, check out Buffalo Bore and Double Tap Ammo. Of course, some of these are very hot so be sure your gun can handle them and that you can control them for accuracy and follow-up shots.

mike6161
February 5, 2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks for all the help. I will be looking in to the stuff you said
However, I think I will load my own SD round because then I know it will work every time. What do you guys know about Remington Golden Saber, and Winchester Silvertips I think I will go with one of them.

K3
February 5, 2008, 02:05 PM
If it was me, I'd load my own SD ammo and not worry about it. There are much more important things to worry about than every little hypothetical thing a DA might do.

Still no case cites on anybody being strung up for rolling their own.

I like Hornady XTPs. They group well on paper, this I do know.

ArchAngelCD
February 5, 2008, 06:00 PM
I agree with Post #2, Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Saber, Winchester Silvertips, and Hornady XTP bullets are all good choices IMO.

jenrob
February 6, 2008, 05:50 AM
I use Hornady XTP's in my 45acp and rem Golden sabs in wifes 40S&W I carry with federal hdro's and my wife carry with Rem golden sab's (factory loaded) with my reloads I set them up as close to the factory loads as I can and shoot as many as I can the I load back up with factory rounds and go about.

Massad Ayoob did do a write up on several cases some that he was involved in and others that he had known about. Some went south fast and others the came out on top, but he suggested that as stated above give them one less thing for them to try to get you on and get the other person off the hook.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a squib in factory ammo. It's just as likely to happen with your reloads as it is with a reputable manufacturer. I've shoot many of thousands of factory and watch the LEO's qualify with factory while going through 10,000 rounds in a day and have yet to see one. Now I know that with this being said it has happened to some but you have a better chance of winning the lottery without buying a ticket than you do finding a squib factory

If you enjoyed reading about "best bullet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!