.30 cal plastic bullets w/gas check?

PDA

fatelk
February 4, 2008, 11:43 PM
Has anyone else tried these things?
http://www.iidbs.com/hitech.zkb?root&GENMENU6019&object-menu6

I got a few to try them out and they work well! I loaded a few a while back in .308 with a few grains of bullseye, finally got to the range today. The only range available was 100 yards and I got about a 6" pattern, but for short range plinking that's good enough. Maybe a little load developement could improve that, and besides, the old Ishapore Enfield doesn't seem to do all that much better anyways.

I wondered if it would be possible to load these with the right charge of pistol powder in 7.63x39 and get them to cycle the action on an SKS? I probably won't try it because I'm paranoid about that kind of thing; too much fast burning powder is not a good thing. I was just curious if anyone had tried it?

If you enjoyed reading about ".30 cal plastic bullets w/gas check?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
loadedround
February 5, 2008, 09:57 AM
You like playing Russian Roulette?

rcmodel
February 5, 2008, 12:20 PM
The link doesn't work, so I don't know what kind of bullet you are asking about.

Regardless, trying to get fast pistol powder to cycle a gas-operated rifle is a genuinely bad idea.

Chamber pressure would be off the map before gas port pressure came even close to working the action.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

fatelk
February 5, 2008, 05:22 PM
The link works for me, you might try it again. They are some kind of orange plastic bullet with a long copper gas check, 19 grains in weight.

trying to get fast pistol powder to cycle a gas-operated rifle is a genuinely bad idea

You're right, and I know that. I was just wondering if there would be any way possible. Many years ago I had some German 7.62x39 training ammo, round nosed jacketed bullet with a plastic core, and they would cycle the action but they were more like 55 grains. I also thought about how blanks will cycle with a BFA, but then that is building pressure from the muzzle, not the breach (no I wouldn't suggest running plastic bullets through a BFA:what:!!. The more I think about it, the more I realize it probably can't be done, and I sure am not foolhardy enough to try it anyway!
Hmm, perhaps an extra light recoil spring..:rolleyes:

Anyhow, with a light charge in a bolt action, they seem to work fine. I think I'll work on a good plinking load. A primer, a 4 cent bullet, and a few grains of pistol powder beats the high cost of 308 ammo.

Firehand
May 4, 2008, 09:48 PM
I got a batch of these last week. Loaded up 20 rounds of them in .30-30 cases with 5.0 grains of 2400. 2400 because it goes through my measure more smoothly than Bullseye and I've had good results with it.

No way to set up a chrono so I can't guess at velocity. At 30 yards on the indoor range they hit almost exactly at point of aim(rifle zeroed with 170-grain ammo at 100 yards), maybe a touch low and right, group about 2". I will say this was on a somewhat dim range with iron sights and not the steadiest of rests; with better light and/or rest, I think would have been a bit smaller. They strung a bit vertically, which I'm certain was my fault.

Going to have to do some more work with these, they're interesting. Gave a nice 'bang' and zero recoil, I don't think the rifle even moved.

fireflyfather
May 5, 2008, 03:15 AM
Fastelk: You might as well start casting your own bullets. My bullets are about 1.5c each, with 7 grains of red dot (caution, this is not a published load) and a primer, that's about 5c a pop. Cheaper than what you're looking at, and it's a real load. Probably group better too. Probably about 800fps. If you don't mind using a gas check or water dropping the bullet, you could go the Ed Harris 13 gr of red dot route. Only about 6c a pop, and a nice medium load (1800fps?). I can get 1.5-2 MOA out of this load at 50 yards. Not bad for pistol velocity. Opens up to about 4 moa at 100 yards.

Also, those plastic bullets are probably too small for your Ishapore unless it's truly a .308. Cast bullets would give you more leeway in that regard.

Firehand
September 5, 2008, 11:50 AM
Tried these in a M39, 7.62x54r, using 6.0 of 2400. Gave about 2" groups at 50 yards.

If you enjoyed reading about ".30 cal plastic bullets w/gas check?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!