Lee Safety Prime

PDA

C.F. Plinker
February 5, 2008, 11:17 AM
I am thinking of getting a Safety Prime for my Classic Cast Press. I generally use Winchester primers for my loads. What do you think of using this rather than the hand held Auto Prime.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Safety Prime" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RustyFN
February 5, 2008, 06:46 PM
If you are talking about the Classic Cast single stage then I would probably stay with the auto prime hand primer. If it is the Classic Cast Turret then I would go with the safety prime. Using the safety prime with the turret would save a lot of time and works very well with that press.
Rusty

CZ57
February 5, 2008, 09:55 PM
I set up a new LEE Classic Turret press over the weekend. Now I know why Winchester primers win when a poll is conducted! The safety prime did not like CCI-500s! Winchester WSPs worked much better. I didn't try any others, and since I loaded .357 Magnum and 9mm, I only used small pistol primers.

I totally agree with Rusty. If you are using a LEE single-stage, the Autoprime will work much better. I use CCIs most of the time and I'm fairly disappointed with the performance of the Safety Prime system, for small primers anyway. I wasn't particularly impressed with the Pro Disk powder measure, either, but at least it doesn't leak like the Perfect Powder Measure. Guess I should have known when LEE says, "Almost totally eliminates leakage." Almost totally? I will be finding a way to automate with my RCBS Uniflow! That will ELIMINATE leakage TOTALLY!;)

ArchAngelCD
February 6, 2008, 02:46 AM
I use a Lee Safety Primer setup and it works very well, especially with Winchester primers.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
February 6, 2008, 08:58 AM
C F Plinker,

I think it's about a six one way, half a dozen the other proposition. Both will give you good performance. But back when I did batch loading on a single stage, I think I'd go with two Lee Auto Primes, one set up for large primers and one set up for small primers. Worked very well for me.

Based on how the safety prime sets up on the Lee Classic Cast single stage, I'm thinking I'd still go with the Auto primes, so I'm with Rusty and CZ57.

Regards,

Dave

stubbicatt
February 6, 2008, 09:22 AM
I like the Safety Prime System. It works with all of the primers I've fed it, including the CCI 500s!

strat81
February 6, 2008, 11:21 AM
I like the Safety Prime System. It works with all of the primers I've fed it, including the CCI 500s!
+1. My Safety Prime works fine with CCI 500s too. It was, however, very temperamental in the beginning. It works fine now. Be sure to not let the primer trough run low. The weight of the extra primers helps with feeding.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Safety Prime" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!