Best Glock caliber for home defense

PDA

Yehen
February 5, 2008, 07:27 PM
Hey Guys, gonna be getting a Glock soon for home defense and I'm looking for suggestions on caliber. I live in a residential neighbourhood with houses on all 4 sides. Not really worried about overpenetration inside the house since the youngest person here is 23 (myself) but I don't want something too powerful (like a 10mm) that's gonna blow through walls and be a liability

My top two choices are 9mm (most probably 124gr +P JHP) and 45 G.A.P. (most probably 180gr JHP). I like to 9mm because though it offers fast follow up shots, it's cheap to practice with and with +P loadings is pretty comparable to a 40S&W. The 45 G.A.P. has way better stopping power but is slightly pricier ammo/practice wise. I like the fact that the Glock 37 still has the standard frame though. Maximum mag capacity is 10 rounds here too and the 37 has that.

Suggestions/Opinions please =)

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Glock caliber for home defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1KPerDay
February 5, 2008, 07:39 PM
Any modern defense round will blow through plywood/sheetrock just fine. You might consider frangible ammo if you're concerned about your neighbors. When I lived in an apartment I kept my 1911 stuffed with Glaser Blue.

Snowdog
February 5, 2008, 08:18 PM
I would focus more on improving your aim and proficiency (including while "under stress") than worrying about "overpenetration". A couple solid hits with a 10mm would be far less of a liability on your part than several stray shots from a 9mm plowing through your walls.

I have a fondness for the .45acp for defense, though the 9mm or .40S&W will work just fine. I've kept a 1911 by the bedstand for years now and doubt I'd have to expend more than a couple rounds if ever pressed to use it for defense; you won't find me firing wildly. The key isn't caliber, it's proficiency through practice. It doesn't hurt to have a wife close behind with an M1 carbine either. :p

euclid
February 5, 2008, 09:23 PM
A pistol loaded with quality 9mm ammo is as good as any.

cheers

.cheese.
February 5, 2008, 09:28 PM
I chose .40SW

the way I see it, it doesn't really matter all that much. Pick whatever round you like and are comfortable with. As far as safety indoors - check out frangible ammo as mentioned. Corbon makes some good ones.

MikePGS
February 5, 2008, 09:31 PM
I'd hate to say it but if its strictly for home defense purposes, you'd probably be better off with a shotgun or even a .223 rifle.

CountGlockula
February 5, 2008, 09:31 PM
If you're stuck in 9mm, a G19.

But I personally am satisfied with the .40S&W Glocks. I have both a G35 and G23 for home defense stationed at different locations in the home for accessibility. The .40S&W round will do the job, EVEN with nice shot placement.

CWL
February 5, 2008, 10:14 PM
Hey Yehen,

You should choose a caliber based on whether you can handle it comfortably so that you have the best chance of controlling the pistol during times of stress.

Because of this, don't go asking us to recommend a caliber. I am comfortable with my caliber because I've been shooting it for almost 20 years. This has zero relevance to how you may like it.

Most people start with 9mm and then try .40SW, .357Sig, .45ACP etc. Try renting or borrowing all of these calibers and decide for yourself how each feels in your hand in comfort & control when you fire it.

Lastly, Don't really know anything about the .45GAP, but my feelings are that you shouldn't go throwing your money into a caliber that may be discontinued due to poor sales.

hrgrisso
February 5, 2008, 10:27 PM
:evil:

.380ACP....

:neener:
:p
:o
:what:
:neener:

hexidismal
February 5, 2008, 10:42 PM
I'm curious, why might you consider the .45 GAP over the more standard .45 Auto ? The 45 GAP is kind of an odd choice I think. First off, like a previous poster mentioned, a lot of people think The GAP is on its way out. Sales aren't very good, and it's only a matter of time. Honestly I've always felt it was quite pompous of Glock to make it's own new fangled answer to a problem that didn't exist. The GAP produces pressures similar to a .45 auto +P, while achieving the ballistics of a standard non +p .45acp round. It would allow a gun's frame to be a little smaller, but on the other hand it has to stand up to even higher pressures. And plenty of guns chambered in .45acp are small enough already. Beyond that , I'd think in this particular case if the gun is meant for home defense.. why should it need to be smaller ? Thats all just my thinking anyway. So why the 45 GAP ?

High Planes Drifter
February 5, 2008, 11:00 PM
I'd hate to say it but if its strictly for home defense purposes, you'd probably be better off with a shotgun or even a .223 rifle.

+1. Home defense only, there's no reason not to pick a long gun. Now, if you were going to pick one gun to cover both carry and HD assignments, I think I'd go with a Glock model 19, 9mm.

RNB65
February 5, 2008, 11:03 PM
Whichever one you have the best chance of hitting something with when both hands are shaking in fear.

easyg
February 5, 2008, 11:09 PM
First and foremost, you have to pick one that you can shoot well.
Caliber doesn't matter if you can't control the pistol and hit what you aim at.

Now, provided that you can accurately shoot any of them, I would go with one of these:
G22 (.40S&W)
G31 (.357Sig)
G37 (.40GAP)

Any of these would be outstanding.

I'm not a huge fan of the 9mm and I prefer a sightly more powerful round.

So why not the .45APC?

Well, the G21 is not for everyone.
I find it to be too fat in the handle to get a comfortable grip.
But if you have big hands then it would be fine as well.
The Slimline .45ACP G36 is interesting, but it only gives you 6 rounds in the magazine.
10 rounds is bad enough, but 6???
Heck, you may as well get a revolver.

sm
February 5, 2008, 11:28 PM
Glocks in 9mm are more reliable, and have a higher round count of proven reliability.

9mm has less felt recoil, therefore affording one to better instill correct basic fundamentals in shooting - and - better quick effective hits once correct basics are learned, instilled with quality lessons and practice.

Ammo is more readily available, and more economic to shoot.
One downside to Glocks is the rifling used, which if one were to consider reloading lead, they would have to buy another barrel allowing them to doso safely.

Ammo being what it is now, and concerns of what it may come to, have lots of folks stockpiling reloading supplies, including lead bullets and means to make lead bullets from wheel weights for instance.

Yehen
February 5, 2008, 11:30 PM
Couple things I forgot to mention. I live in Canada so law's are a bit different here. Minimum barrel lenth of any handgun here is 106mm which is about 4.25 inches. Only the standard frame Glocks will work. Also mags are limited to 10 rounds. I was thinking about the 45 GAP cause of the smaller frame. Haven't shot a Glock 21 before but I've held it and it's a little bulky. I'm worried how the larger frame would adapt to my hands.

I was thinking about the 45 cause it's a slower moving round and I figure it won't overpenetrate as much as a 9mm +P.

I figure when the poop hits the fan, I'm only gonna have time to let off a couple maybe 3 rounds under pressure. Then again. 9mm is also really cheap to practice with so that those couple rounds would actually be aimed.

There's a lotta corridors and smaller spaces I think might be a little tight for a shottie and a 223 would probably overpenetrate a little too much.

WeedWhacker
February 5, 2008, 11:33 PM
9mm is "slightly less pricey" than .45 GAP??

Most people practice with rounds such as Winchester White Box 115gr FMJs. At self-defense differences, I honestly can feel no difference between those and Speer 124gr JHPs. My wallet can sure tell the difference, though: fifteen cents per round versus up to a DOLLAR. That's be ninty-five cents for you Canucks. ;)

Javelin
February 5, 2008, 11:35 PM
I chose a G23 (40 cal). BUT if you really are concerned with over penetration and exterior walls please consider a Glock .45. The fact is that .45 does not do well in penetrating exterior walls at all. It is a slow heavy hitter that puts down everything 2 legged-like. But its lack of velocity makes it perfect for home defense.

:)

DENALI
February 5, 2008, 11:37 PM
I happen to agree with whoever said "why the .45 GAP" as to my mind it accomplishes nothing. You seem to have already selected ammo for a pistol you haven't shot it through, not unheard of but still ahead of yourself a bit.
regarding penetration and power, that +P 9mm load you've warmed up to will zip through plenty of walls to, so keep in mind that in order to minimise liability you'll want to be able to hit what your shooting at, that means range time and the further expense of practice. You've not really touched on your level of experience, even if you have any at all. Within these limitations, and keeping in mind your 10-shot mag restriction, I'd rather see you start off with a good 6-7 shot .357 magnum revolver and stoke it with a good .38 special hollow point. You'll find it much simpler to master and much less expensive to feed.........Good luck.......................................

easyg
February 5, 2008, 11:47 PM
I figure when the poop hits the fan, I'm only gonna have time to let off a couple maybe 3 rounds under pressure. Then again. 9mm is also really cheap to practice with so that those couple rounds would actually be aimed.
Keep in mind that your pistol might have a malfunction after the first round has been fired (yes, even Glocks have malfunctions) and you might only get one round off.

Now, would you rather that one round be a 9mm or something more powerful?

BTW, all of these calibers are well capable of pentrating your home's walls....and your neighbors home's walls as well.

hexidismal
February 5, 2008, 11:56 PM
I was thinking about the 45 GAP cause of the smaller frame. Haven't shot a Glock 21 before but I've held it and it's a little bulky. I'm worried how the larger frame would adapt to my hands.

Well there are of course plenty of 45s with far superior ergonomics to a glock. I personally can't stand the things.

Jason_G
February 5, 2008, 11:58 PM
Unless you plan to carry the gun with a CCW permit or you want to get into pistol shooting as a sport/hobby, you would be much wiser to spend your $$ on a good 12 gauge.
If you DO want to get a pistol, I would steer clear of the .45 GAP. I'm not knocking the caliber's capability, but IMO the very small difference in gun size between the .45 ACP and the .45 GAP is not worth the hassle. In standard pressure rounds, the GAP is similar in performance, but the ACP +P is a little more potent than the GAP self defense rounds. I would suggest going to a range that rents some of the calibers you are considering and try them out to see which you shoot most accurately. Pick the biggest round you can shoot accurately and suits your most likely home defense situation.

Jason

stevereno1
February 6, 2008, 12:15 AM
I own Glocks in differant calibers. My "nightstand" Glock is the G-17, loaded with 17 rounds of 147gr. Winchester rangers, My ccw is a G-27 with the factory +1 extention. My hunting companion is the G-20, it stays in the safe most of the time cause I rarely carry it. I like the high capacity of the 17, and I feel that the noise level of a .40 or a 10mm would damage my hearing if shot indoors.

Dgreno
February 6, 2008, 12:43 AM
.45GAP is nowhere near being on its way out. With 4 state police agencies so far, and a few more still testing, as well as many local agencies using the GAP and trusting their life to it every single day, then it is fine for a HD/carry round. That should tell you all you need about the GAP right there.
If it were me and I was set on one of the 3, It would be the .45GAP. It is a little harder to find but its definitely worth it.

W.E.G.
February 6, 2008, 01:28 AM
It matters not in the slightest what caliber you select for a Glock used for home defense.

With premium ammo, all that is left to fate is your ability to deliver the projectile on target and on time.

One hit with a Hi-Point is better than two misses with Kimber.

hexidismal
February 6, 2008, 02:13 AM
With 4 state police agencies so far, and a few more still testing, as well as many local agencies using the GAP and trusting their life to it every single day, then it is fine for a HD/carry round. That should tell you all you need about the GAP right there. If it were me and I was set on one of the 3, It would be the .45GAP. It is a little harder to find but its definitely worth it.

Dgreno: Can you explain why it's worth it ? I'm not trying to "flame" you here, I'm genuinely asking for a good explanation. You say it's harder to find but worth it. Worth it for what reasons ?
The fact that a few state agencies are using it .. well, that's hardly any explanation for the cartridges actual benefits. In fact that doesn't tell me much about anything other than someone made the best bids, someone is making money off some contracts, and someone is getting some advertising for their product.

mokin
February 6, 2008, 02:47 AM
Try them all and go for the one that you can operate most effectively. If that happens to be 45 GAP then get into reloading. That seems to be what most 10 mm owners do.

Sport45
February 6, 2008, 04:24 AM
Unless they've started chambering Glocks in 12-gauge I'd be looking for a different manufacturer for a home defense firearm. 1-1/8oz of #4 shot will do what you're looking for nicely. You won't need 10 or more shots either.

There's a lotta corridors and smaller spaces I think might be a little tight for a shottie and a 223 would probably overpenetrate a little too much.

Your job isn't to clear the house. Barricade your family in a "safe room" and cover the door with a shotgun. Let the police round up any bad guys. There isn't any material object in your house worth walking into a possible ambush for.

If it must be a handgun and must be a Glock (no revolvers, too bad), go with any of the great advice you've been given. 9mm or larger will work. 9mm is the least expensive practice round of all you mentioned. I'd avoid the GAP round because it's not a "common" loading and will be expensive to use for practice. (Practice being the most important part of the equation.)

easyg
February 6, 2008, 10:56 AM
It matters not in the slightest what caliber you select for a Glock used for home defense.

With premium ammo, all that is left to fate is your ability to deliver the projectile on target and on time.

One hit with a Hi-Point is better than two misses with Kimber.
Yeah, but if you can shoot all of them equally well, then why not get the more effective caliber?
If caliber didn't matter, and shot placement was EVERYTHING, then everyone would be carrying .22 pistols. :rolleyes:

Your job isn't to clear the house. Barricade your family in a "safe room" and cover the door with a shotgun. Let the police round up any bad guys. There isn't any material object in your house worth walking into a possible ambush for.
I like shotguns but in many cases they are totally impractical.
Sometimes a man does have to investigate before calling the cops.
If you hear a noise downstairs....not glass breaking or the door being kicked in....just a strange noise.
What are you going to do, barracade yourself in your room and call the cops?
No, you're going to see what made that noise.
And doing so with a shotgun in your hand is awkward at best.

It's also much nicer to answer the door when a stranger knocks, with a pistol behind your back rather than a shotgun in your hand.

Harley Quinn
February 6, 2008, 11:09 AM
Hey the 45 GAP in a Glock is pure Glock:what:, good conversation piece and if it is your first and only it will be pretty memorable for sure.
It will be around for some time. I have talked to some folks who will be making barrels and slides for it in the future. Not as cheap to shoot as a 9 mm. But in close quarters it is a good one for sure.;)

Deanimator
February 6, 2008, 12:37 PM
+1. Home defense only, there's no reason not to pick a long gun.

Actually, there are some excellent reasons not to pick a long gun, in particular configuration of your home. My home is entirely inappropriate for a long gun as my primary defensive firearm. There's no room to maneuver and I'd be at a disadvantage against somebody with a butcher knife. The only thing less appropriate as a primary defensive firearm in my home would be a bamboo cavalry lance.

If you've got the room to maneuver, a long gun will work. If you don't, it's a disaster.

Harley Quinn
February 6, 2008, 12:49 PM
The only thing less appropriate as a primary defensive firearm in my home would be a bamboo cavalry lance

"Pike" comes to mind:D
I have a nice short barreled shotgun/pistol grip, problem...
Does not fit under the pillow well:eek:

Deanimator
February 6, 2008, 12:58 PM
I have a nice short barreled shotgun/pistol grip, problem...

A friend of mine has a 12ga. Mossberg with a pistol grip. That was bar none, THE most unpleasant firearm I've ever shot.

WVMountainBoy
February 6, 2008, 12:59 PM
I'm a 38 revolver fan myself, but own a Glock 22. It was one of my first pistols and was purchased mainly because it was the "in" gun to have. I haven't carried it in years. The gun is perfectly functional and is actually very accurate, I just don't care a lot for its handling charactoristics. Now, on to the actual topic. Go with the 9mm over GAP, model 17 over 37. Ammo selection is the simple reason along with availability of magazines. I personally would go with a 21 if I was going to buy another Glock. ACP over GAP, only because of ammo selection and availability. Owning a Glock is an exercise in functionality, you buy it because its a no frills, rock solid reliable, and has wide product support. Why cripple these advantages by getting an obscure caliber.

Rampant_Colt
February 6, 2008, 01:28 PM
Unless they've started chambering Glocks in 12-gauge I'd be looking for a different manufacturer for a home defense firearm. 1-1/8oz of #4 shot will do what you're looking for nicely. You won't need 10 or more shots either
Never ever use birdshot in a self-defense situation - that's just bad advice that could potentially get someone killed!

I suggest the OP get a shotgun and load it with low recoil buckshot, or a carbine, then get a handgun.

For a first handgun i recommend going to a local range and trying out a few different types first before throwing down $500-600 on a gun. Who knows, you might like revolvers better than autoloaders... I did and still do.

A Glock isn't a good gun for a first handgun IMO because there's no safety. You could argue that most revolvers don't have any safety as well

The .45 GAP is an excellent choice, putting high capacity .45-power in a handgun the size of a G17-22. It ain't goin' anywhere....

@ you guys saying the 9mm has insufficent "stopping power", please provide evidence backing your assersions. I would beg the differ

KBintheSLC
February 6, 2008, 01:40 PM
I have a 9mm, and it is enough to defend your home. Over-penetration is more of an issue with a 9mm than with a .45acp by the way. I have to admit, I would love to have a nice .45 for HD. However, I like to have plenty of guns but not too many calibers. That way, I can keep plenty of ammo without buying too many different kinds. Therefore, I will likely stick with the 9mm until laser guns come out.

Harley Quinn
February 6, 2008, 01:50 PM
A friend of mine has a 12ga. Mossberg with a pistol grip. That was bar none, THE most unpleasant firearm I've ever shot.

Yes they are, I had been shooting the shotgun at a range for fun and a friend said how does it feel??? I told him it was a handfull for sure. (I am a carpenter and have a good grip):) He said "can I shoot it", sure say's I;)

He shot it once and complained and whined for days :D Funny to the max:p
I have a sick sense of humor for sure:what:

The GAP...You either like it or not. It is one that many don't like. I don't own one but I have a barrel that fits nothing I have:cuss: I bought it because I will sell it some day, when the price goes up, like silver:neener: But for someone who wants to play around you can have lots of hours of fun trimming 45 brass and reloading it yourself :evil:

doc2rn
February 6, 2008, 02:30 PM
As stated previously Glock 31 or 32 in .357 Sig

MarcusWendt
February 6, 2008, 04:45 PM
The only "Glock Caliber" is the .45 gap

ScottD
February 6, 2008, 04:58 PM
I'm comfortable with anything 9mm and above in good self-defense ammo.

bluestarlizzard
February 6, 2008, 05:15 PM
i vote for a the shotgun as well, your not going to be clearing the house, your going to be baracaded. furthermore, if you worry about overpenitration, then use bird or game shot. it may seem puny, but a load of birdshot in the face is gonna stop a goblin.
if your set on a handgun, then i guess a glock is fine. i would go with .45, but 9mm is fine to if thats what you want. load is JHP and your fine.

esq_stu
February 6, 2008, 05:16 PM
What counts is not just a caliber - it's what you (or whomever) shoot well, as long as hits will be effective.

9mm, .40, .45, .45 GAP, .357 Sig, .38+P, .357 mag and probably others are all effective with the right bullet and shot placement, and ineffective otherwise.

ScottD
February 6, 2008, 05:22 PM
You forgot 10mm and .38 super. :neener:

sparkyguy
February 6, 2008, 06:13 PM
Hands down, no bout a doubt it, king of ALL situations(:p) THIS is what you need:
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd206/sparkyguy/870-1.jpg
Not the teddy bear, but what he's got on his lap. Unless your house is a closet with 2' wide halls(and even then) you have to be a total doofus to not be able to handle yourself with a short-barreled shotgun. I laugh when I hear ppl say it's "impractical" to use a shotgun, but ok to use a handgun. Are you firing from your hip? No? The distance you have your arms extended with a handgun is more then a short-barreled shotgun held close under your arm. PLUS, it can be used with the butt end in a close-quarters altercation if needed. It's what's next to my bed. YMMV.

ScottD
February 6, 2008, 06:14 PM
Needs a pistol grip.

sparkyguy
February 6, 2008, 06:19 PM
Sorry, I use my shotgun. Pistol grips are ridiculous and useless. Ever shoot with one? You won't want to shoot again with one. Besides, I don't juvenile up my guns to look ghetto.

ScottD
February 6, 2008, 06:23 PM
Then get a stock with a pistol grip. Ar AKs and ARs "ghetto" because they have pistol grips, too? :rolleyes:

mpmarty
February 6, 2008, 06:31 PM
The only round I'd depend on in a Glock for home defense is a 44 Russian or an 8mm Nambu.:D

sparkyguy
February 6, 2008, 06:32 PM
Tell you what, YOU get a stock with a pistol grip. Mine doesn't need it. I was referring to shotguns, like this:
http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/091391000/91391616/pix1925639531.jpg
Don't get your panties all up in a bind.

ScottD
February 6, 2008, 06:35 PM
Dude, what's with the name calling? You must have a pretty thin skin because you get so offended when someone says something about your shotgun and you disagree. What do you do when someone makes a comment about your wife/girlfriend/gay lover? Nuke them from orbit? :rolleyes:

harmonic
February 6, 2008, 06:36 PM
The Glock 17 is my nightstand gun. Something about having 17 shots is comforting. I've also got a Sig 239 8 shot by the bed. The number '17' just sounds better.

ScottD
February 6, 2008, 06:37 PM
I keep a 13+1 Kimber in .45 ACP for nightstand duty.

G19 has backup duty and the carry Kahrs are always loaded, too. With spare mags, I have well over 100 rounds ready to go. :cool:

Stephen A. Camp
February 6, 2008, 09:09 PM
This thread needs to get back on track. If people here cannot understand that some folks will prefer just the opposite of their choices w/o creating posts containing no pertinent information to the thread or that are bickering with another poster, they may very well wind up with more time to contemplate it when banned. I've received 3 complaints on threads in this one section in the past two days. If we cannot act as adults and if banning is the only way, so be it. I do not fool around with personal warnings as adults should be able to figure out if they're stepping over the line. Make sure that you don't if you enjoy posting here.

I've had a gutful of smart-mouth remarks and posters who simply seem to enjoy either baiting or pushing threads off topic and am so very close to thinning these numbers.

Firepower!
February 7, 2008, 09:12 AM
9mm..enough said.

Harley Quinn
February 7, 2008, 12:39 PM
So Yehen:

Have you made up your mind yet? Do you believe the model that is built on a smaller frame and has good stopping power "45 Gap" is the way to go or maybe the 40 cal that has the ability to use numerous barrels (if you go to Lone Wolf you will find them) or how about the model that is 45 cal and can be used with a 400 corbon barrel? 45/400 would be good in the wilderness of Canada?:uhoh:

Any thoughts:confused:

HQ

Yehen
February 7, 2008, 02:31 PM
Took a look at a slim Glock 21 with a rail. Probably gonna that and an M6X or a GTL 21. 45's are pretty slow moving round so that'll probably help me when it comes to avoiding overpenetration and something with enough stopping power. Thanks for all the help =)

possum
February 7, 2008, 02:32 PM
i am not really a fan of any glock other than 9mm and the glock 19 happens to be my favorite of the bunch so i would personally go with that. you get alot of capacity, and with the +p and +p+ offerings out there today you will have plenty of "stoping" power as well as the capacity.

CountGlockula
February 7, 2008, 03:02 PM
Great choice on the G21SF...actually ANY Glock is a great choice.

Make sure you give us a range report!

gym
February 7, 2008, 03:18 PM
There is no "correct" answer, you are only going to get opinions, and they will vary greatlly. You aren't asking about a "Glock", by now I guess you realise that, just 'google', the different calibers and types of ammo, or read about them, it's much easier now with "search engines", until you are content with one that fits your needs.

Northalius
February 7, 2008, 05:50 PM
Get the Glock 20. :)

10mm = Most versatile round out of any other!

Double Taps' 135 grain 10mm round actually FRAGGED after traveling 11" in gel... after going as fast as 1600 fps. :)

Then you can get loaded 10mm as weak as .40, if you really wanted to. Or stronger than .357 Magnum, for hunting, or simply major stopping power on criminals!

So, again, I'd suggest the Glock 20!

Oh, and I agree, pay more attention to hitting what you aim at, instead of worrying about overpenetration. Once a bullet travels through someone, especially after expanding, it'll not go much further, especially if it's going to hit another wall.

Zerodefect
April 10, 2009, 07:58 PM
Good choice with the G21 sf. Sf stands for short frame not slim. The only slim Glock, the 36, wasn't really accepted well, and it looks like cause of that we will never see a true "slim" Glock.

No, the .45's slow speed helps it penetrate further when walls are concerned. Its the width of the .45 that'll slow it down quicker compared to .40 and 9mm. 9mm can realy cut through a house sometimes. I saw a 9mm hole go through 2 houses! Allthough the safest round for overpenetration is the FN 5.7x28mm in the 5-7 and PS90. Highspeed lightweight round that is desighned not to penetrate far after hitting the first barrier.

Anyways, perfect choice in the 21sf. Bravo. Now post pics.

ps. Ar15>Rem 870 for home defense.

1KPerDay
April 10, 2009, 08:09 PM
No, the .45's slow speed helps it penetrate further when walls are concerned.
huh?

ScareyH22A
April 10, 2009, 08:11 PM
9mm went through eight 3/4 inch Ponderosa Pine boards and bounced off the ninth. BTW, those boards are much tougher than 5/8" sheetrock wallboards.
.45ACP went through seven boards and bounced off the eighth.
And these were JHP's, not ball ammo.
Eight boards is like shooting from your room, and landing inside the walls of a room, 3 doors down. It would probably penetrate at least 5 or 6 doors down if the walls were typical sheetrock.
http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

The differences are negligible at best. So unless you sleep in the middle of a house built like the Pentagon, over penetration should be an afterthought. Just practice your aim and try not to miss.

BTW, if you're really concerned about over penetration... where 9mm and .45ACP penetrated 12 boards of sheetrock, #4 and #1 buckshot only penetrated 6 boards. So for home defense, it's tough to beat a shotgun.
http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

GLOOB
April 11, 2009, 02:15 AM
The only slim Glock, the 36, wasn't really accepted well, and it looks like cause of that we will never see a true "slim" Glock.

Personally, I wonder if there isn't a serious design flaw with the G36. It does not come close to the accuracy level of other Glocks, even compared to the shorter G30 in .45 ACP or the stubby G26 9mm.

RevolvingCylinder
April 11, 2009, 02:19 AM
The only "Glock Caliber" is the .45 gap
Beat me to it.

JImbothefiveth
April 11, 2009, 02:23 AM
If this is your first handgun, I'd go with 9mm, cheaper to shoot, and less recoil. If I was a more experianced handgunner, I'd go with .45, although if this is only for inside the house, you may want to consider ACP instead of GAP. If you're going to carry it, even the g30 is about the same size as a g23, within a few millimeters height, so I'd probably use GAP.

As for shotgun ammo, buckshot is better for stopping power, and will go through less walls than a handgun, and birdshot will go through even less walls, though you risk it not stopping.

nonseven
April 12, 2009, 01:28 AM
4 state police agencies have adopted the 45 gap; New York, Pennsylvania, Georgia, and South Carolina, and more are considering it. Why?

1. It fits in a smaller frame than the .45 ACP, which fit the majority of officer's hands better.

2. The stopping power of the .45 ballistics (.45 colt/.45 ACP/.45 GAP) are proven.

3. It does not have over-penetration issues like the .40 S&W.

4. In extensive testing, which came down to the .40 S&W vs. the .45 GAP, more officers preferred the recoil pattern of the .45 GAP to the .40 S&W, saying it was more of a "push" than a "snap" like the .40 S&W.

The .45 GAP is basically a .45 ACP shortened to the length of a 9mm. It makes sense.

Oh, and one more reason, if you currently don't have any handgun ammo and you're going to buy a gun, you can actually find .45 GAP ammo for sale now.

PT1911
April 12, 2009, 01:42 AM
well... you eliminated all but the .45GAP when you said "Best Glock Caliber for Defense":neener:

357sigRog
April 12, 2009, 02:15 AM
For "ME" it is the 357sig.

10-Ring
April 12, 2009, 02:17 AM
IMO, Glock did its best work in 9mm so, if you're trying to decide which fullsize Glock to go w/ -- G17 ;)
Why do I think Glock did its best work in 9mm? Fewest reported problems (real or otherwise!), greatest recorded longevity and its the caliber the firearm was developed for ;)

deek26
July 27, 2009, 10:04 AM
i use the glock 20 full size 10mm, real stopping power! 1 round from that gun and you won't know the difference cause it will be all over, nomatter what kind of bullet proof vest you are wearing.

Bass Killer
July 27, 2009, 09:22 PM
.40 cal or 10mm models

Dr_2_B
July 27, 2009, 11:51 PM
Pick which one is most comfortable to you. Practice often.

AKElroy
July 28, 2009, 12:20 AM
i use the glock 20 full size 10mm, real stopping power! 1 round from that gun and you won't know the difference cause it will be all over, nomatter what kind of bullet proof vest you are wearing.

Really? I mean, really?

I wear a 1" thick steel door from a pot-belly stove. I ain't skeered of your little .40 long.

Welcome to THR! :)

OrangePwrx9
July 28, 2009, 01:30 AM
As explained to me by a NYS Trooper, the .45 GAP is made for people with small hands who want to shoot Glocks. The stopping power of a .45 is wanted/needed, but the handle on the .45ACP Glock is so big that the gun is hard for a small handed person to control. Apparently the .45GAP version is "just enough" smaller.
Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Glock caliber for home defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!