best lake city brass dies

PDA

brassbullets12
February 5, 2008, 11:06 PM
i have been reloading 20 + years, i usually only use lake city brass in my autoloaders, have commercial brass for my bolts.... i just have noticed that RCBS has a die set for autoloader, but is not reccommended for bolt action, has anybody used these ? thanks darrell

If you enjoyed reading about "best lake city brass dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kelbro
February 6, 2008, 08:07 AM
Are you talking about small base dies? If so, then yes, I have used them on .223 and they work fine for either bolt or gas guns. A lot of people say you don't need them but some tight chambers do need that extra tiny bit of sizing. When using them for LC or mil-surp brass, be sure to use enough lube. LC and mil-surp brass are generally a little thicker/tougher than commercial brass.

USSR
February 6, 2008, 10:24 AM
darrell,

The die sets that are being sold specifically for autoloaders are known as small base dies. You should not need them if the brass was fired in your autoloader. However, if you buy some once-fired brass that was originally fired in a machinegun, you may need them.

Don

justpete
February 6, 2008, 11:34 PM
Just started reloading for my ARs. Had some old once fired LC out of one of them sitting around and figured what the heck. Tried the RCBS small base die and it took abnormally high effort with a Co-Ax press. Imperial Die Wax was either too little or caused lube dents, could never get it to run smoothly.

Gave up and bought a Redding small base die and it works much, much better. Easy to get the right level of lube - no dents, smooth sizing, no chattering, etc. Using the carbide sizing button kit so that might have something to do with it. The RCBS sizing and seating die got retired after fifty rounds.

5000 once-fired LC cases arrived today from gibrass.com, guess the die is going to see a lot of use.

FWIW, Pete

kelbro
February 7, 2008, 07:50 AM
I have sized several thousand with my RCBS small-base dies and they require just a touch more power on the press arm. No more lube than the standard dose of OneShot. Mine might be well polished by now :)

stubbicatt
February 7, 2008, 08:07 AM
So what symptoms do you see that indicate that you need to use these dies?

Galil5.56
February 7, 2008, 08:57 AM
I have an RCBS SB die set in 30/06 that I got for an M1, and Rem 760/742. I also use it for bolt guns and back the sizer die off slightly to lessen resizing of the case, and it seems to work just fine. My usual low volume press is an ancient RCBS Reloader Special w/o compound leverage, and sizing is no problem for me.

Good luck.

USSR
February 7, 2008, 10:17 AM
So what symptoms do you see that indicate that you need to use these dies?

If you've full length resized some once-fired military 7.62x51 brass that you bought, and it won't fit your chamber even though you've moved the shoulder back enough (check this first), chances are the web portion of the brass is preventing the brass from entering the chamber all the way and a small base die is needed to reduce this area on your brass.

Don

If you enjoyed reading about "best lake city brass dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!