S&W 422 - anybody have one?

PDA

Syd
February 6, 2008, 09:32 PM
So this old Smith & Wesson 422 .22lr just showed up in the Used case at my favorite dealer. It's a little beat up, a little blueing gone from the bottom edges of the slide. The price tag says $259, but it would be more like $200 with the 25%-off sale they're running. I think i could get that past the wife, considering my b-day's coming up. :D But what do you think???

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 422 - anybody have one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JHansenAK47
February 6, 2008, 10:21 PM
The SW 422 is a great pistol and are amazingly accurate. I much prefer it to my buckmark and the ruger I had. I am currently trying to get it back from my brother and he doesn't want to give it up. Excellent pistol they are a good buy. I bought mine for 200 with 3 mags. The only complaint I had was the stupid nut on the muzzle kept coming loose and it could be a pain to field strip. (I use a spent 22 shell) They are good pistols and shoot very well even as beat up as my 422 was.

Onmilo
February 6, 2008, 11:12 PM
I have two, a 6" 422 and a 2214 Sportsman which is a smaller pocket version.
I had to replace the fixed rear sight on the 422 and fiddle with the front sight to get the gun to regulate correctly, after that I had had zero problems with the gun.
The smaller 2214 has been spot on since the day I got it, no problems.

These guns use the same magazines as the Model 41 Target pistols, a bonus in my book since spares are easy to find and not too expensive.
The 2214 comes with an 8 round magazine but which are a bit tougher to find but you can use the full size 41 magazines in it too.
Field stripping is a bit of a pain but certainly no worse that a Ruger Mark whatever pistol and I find the guns a whole lot easier to reassemble.
Good stuff.
http://www.fototime.com/CECDC193D5A24E5/standard.jpg

usp9
February 7, 2008, 08:25 AM
I have a 622, but never shoot it. It really is a pain to take-down. Everything about this pistol is a little odd, even the magazine release. I much prefer shooting my Buckmark 5.5 Field because the adjustable trigger is sweet, take-down easy, accuracy superb.

Walkalong
February 7, 2008, 08:41 AM
That is one of the ones I always meant to get but have not. At that price I would have to pick it up. I don't see them around here much. Still waiting for one in decent shape at a decent price. Someday.

boomer1911a1
February 7, 2008, 08:56 AM
I have one that I spent too much on at a gun show recently ($260) but I have no regrets. For a lightly-scuffed model like you're describing, I think $150-180 would be more reasonable. Anything over $200 should be flawless.

I love how weightless the 422 feels compared to my Rugers -- even my 22/45. It's 90% as accurate at 60% the weight. And, like the Rugers, field stripping isn't really that hard if you follow the manual. (Practice helps, though.) I've never had my barrel nut come loose, but I recently replaced it with a threaded one for a suppressor, so I'll be keeping an eye on it.

They're great little guns.

huff
February 7, 2008, 10:44 AM
Have had one for years, brother gave it to me, I love it.
Just put a few hundred through it 2 days ago. It is a bit of a pain to strip, but do it a few times and not a problem. Make sure to protect the frame with something when taking it apar, use a spent 22. shell.

Thirties
February 7, 2008, 01:22 PM
Another plus is that genuine S&W magazines are still available new in 10 or 12 round capacity.

I love my 422! Very handy and accurate. Call S&W to get a free owner's manual.

Moonclip
February 8, 2008, 05:04 AM
Light,handy and flat but not too accurate. Mine has also developed an issue of not locking the slide back on empty magazines. I want the small one.

1BLINDREF
February 8, 2008, 08:50 AM
I taught my sons to shoot with a 422. I ended up trading it in on a Sig Trailside when they first came out.
I regreted trading it in because it was a great "training" gun for first timers (I didn't want my Trailside to get abused teaching noobies how to shoot).

I ended up finding a real clean 622 and couldn't resist buying it. It's now my noobie trainer (I took two new shooters to the range last Saturday and put 600 rounds through it with zero problems)
I don't find it difficult to break down, once you know how to do it (a spent .22 shell is the trick).

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t307/dexternikki/Smiths/IMG_2694.jpg

Syd
February 8, 2008, 03:46 PM
NICE photos, onmilo & 1blindref! I may have to wander on back by the store this weekend. Thanks for the opinions, everyone. Just the info i was looking for.

JHansenAK47
February 8, 2008, 09:42 PM
Mine has also developed an issue of not locking the slide back on empty magazines
Probably a worn magazine lug that activates the slide stop. If they are the plastic lug variety they will wear and fail to lock the slide back on the last shot. I had two plastic and one with a steel lug and the steel one never fails whereas the two plastic ones usually won't lock the slide back. Don't know where you would buy one with a steel lug. Mine just came with the gun.

gunfighter48
February 9, 2008, 03:08 AM
I bought a 422 blued model about 8 years ago and paid $225 at the time. It was worth every penny! It's been a great pistol and very accurate. My wife has Parkinson Disease and can't handle a gun with much recoil. But she can shoot the 422 extremely well considering how bad she shakes. At 20 ft she can put all 10 rounds into a 10 in circle in about 10 seconds. I don't know how she does it but she gets a rhythm going and just shoots the crap out of the target!!:)

sm
February 9, 2008, 03:13 AM
As others have shared, a great gun!

This is also a great gun for new shooters, especially kids to learn to shoot with, as it is not heavy, and therefore does not tire them out.

One can carry one all day long, and never know the gun is on their hip.

One of the easiest guns to take down and put back together.

If the orange take down tool is not handy, just use a spent .22 lr casing instead.

RMW59
February 11, 2008, 10:12 PM
My father in law has a 422 that is the most reliable semi-automatic pistol that I have ever shot. I have it on my to buy list.

I just bought (2) 2214 model pistols. I bought one on gun broker and when I went to pick it up at my dealer, he had one with 3 mags that looks brand new. It was a deal that I couldn't pass up on. These pistols are getting harder to find.

These pistols are awesome and the 422 12 rd mags will work in them too.

HammerBite
February 11, 2008, 11:01 PM
My son has a 2214 that he asked me to keep in my safe. That was a mistake on his part, he will not get it back. It is a very nice gun.

akraven
February 11, 2008, 11:47 PM
I have to go along with everybody. It is my favorite 22 auto and mine was exceptionally accurate. I am keeping my out for another one. Unfortunatly not that common. akraven

KennyE
March 31, 2008, 06:48 AM
I just got one new in the box and never fired. A friend had it in his closet for 20 years and never used it. Picked it up for $150. Have put about 200 rounds thru it and love it. I even have all the tools and book with it. I was gonna put it up and wait to see what is was worth in a few years but it is fun to shoot. After dialing in the sight it is on the money at 30 yards. Kinda pain in the but to clean. But like I said I have the book and if you follow it you are ok.

theazlit
February 3, 2009, 06:13 PM
Greetings HighRoad Forum,
I am the proud owner of the S & W 422 and could not be more pleased. I purchased it new at a gun action as a result of a gun store going out of business. I paid $125 for it in 1990. It has been a teriffic purchase and is a great starter gun for the wife or young person when learning the ropes of gun safety and shooting fubdamentals. It is extremly accurate and reasonable to purchase bulk 22 LR ammo. Highly recommend it.

ZX10Aviator
February 3, 2009, 10:51 PM
http://johnvh.smugmug.com/photos/429985450_2DMbm-M.jpg

Min
February 3, 2009, 11:37 PM
I have a 2213. Love it!

Wish I had a 422.

Halo is for Kids
February 4, 2009, 01:12 AM
422 was my first gun. Made my first youtube vid as a favor to a highroader who needed some disassembly help...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sAEB1L2s_N0

wrs840
February 4, 2009, 01:19 AM
I used to have one, but sold it to a buddy. I wish I had kept it. A 422 is a fine pistol.

Les

Myles
February 4, 2009, 11:45 AM
I've got a 6" 622 with walnut grips, just like 1BLINDREF's, but with adjustable target sights.

Absolutely love it. I paid $215 at a gunshow, back in '90 or '91. I will never part with it. I've had Rugers come and go in my life, but my 622? It's here to stay.

Handy, quick on target, glass-like trigger.

theazlit
February 4, 2009, 02:49 PM
I have been searching for a new 10-round magazine for the 422. Every place I find seems to be out of stock. I prefer to purchase new..... does anyone have any leads?
Thanks

brhodes
February 4, 2009, 09:07 PM
The 422 is a great gun. And they are hard to take down -- they're really easy in fact. You just need to have saved a spent .22 round.

I like the ones I have because they are really great guns to add a suppressor to. Since the barrel is way down in the bottom of the frame like that, no problem seeing the sights with a can on. Plus the barrel is held in by threads. Search the web for an adapter. Should cost about $25, comes in stainless and blued. The Gemtech Outback II fits right on it, and even supersonic ammo is pretty quiet (at least out the of the 6" barrels, which is all I have).

wellfedirishman
February 13, 2009, 11:47 PM
Onmilo,

I saw in your post from last year that you mounted a real target sight on a Smith & Wesson 422. May I ask how you did this? If it is just a screw-in aftermarket sight, which model did you use?

I have a S&W422 6 inch target pistol and would love to put a decent wide style target rear sight on it. That is the only thing the gun lacks.

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

ugaarguy
February 14, 2009, 01:09 AM
Theazlit, the 422 accepts Model 41 magazines. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&productId=12966

Onmilo
February 14, 2009, 03:03 PM
The rear sight I used is from LPA.
Brownells still lists them and the item number is 625-100-242

They will press fit in the dovetail without any alteration though you will probably have to shave down your front sight to get the sights to regulate properly and still allow extra elevation to be available on the rear sight.

theNoid
February 14, 2009, 03:26 PM
I currently own a 2206 and would love to find a nice 422, 622, 2213, 2214, and so on to complete the line-up...hehe.

Seriously though, my wife does think the 2206 is a bit heavy so I am thinking the 622 will be perfect for her.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/Noidster/PC310023.jpg

Noidster

wellfedirishman
February 14, 2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks Onmilo. Unfortunately, the 422 I have is the target model that doesn't have a dovetail. The sight that is on it has a channel that is a bit narrower than a standard K-frame revolver sight, so I can't use one of those unless I file the rib on both sides to make it fit in the channel.

I find that the gun shoots well, but the target sights on it are way too narrow for my eyes to see clearly. I prefer the big 'wide style' target sights like Bomar, etc provide.

jjkrmain
February 15, 2009, 12:44 AM
I've had mine since the early 90's. Shoots well. Tirgger is great. I can unload the 12 round clip so fast people think it's full auto!

hseaver
May 15, 2009, 01:13 PM
Anybody know where to get wood grips, preferably target type, for the 422?

hseaver
May 15, 2009, 01:21 PM
So the factory target sights for the 422 won't fit on the non-target gun? Any other options? I tried that reference to Brownells, but they no longer carry that specific sight.

10-Ring
May 15, 2009, 03:06 PM
I had a 622 -- sold after the 2nd time I had to clean it :barf:

Grey54956
May 16, 2009, 12:00 AM
I have a 2206TGT. It is the definition of awesome.

bhp9mm
May 16, 2009, 12:37 AM
get it for $200 thats not bad id buy it for that

.38 Special
July 22, 2009, 08:05 PM
I didn't really care for mine. It had lousy sights, a crummy trigger, and wasn't very accurate. When it got stolen I didn't really care that much. Ended up "replacing" it with a Model 41 which is a superior gun in every way but price.

If I went shopping for a budget .22 auto today it would probably be a Ruger.

Nate7667
August 28, 2009, 09:37 AM
Ok, so how are you guys getting the barrel nut off. I have no promblem disasembling the weapon. Am i missing something with the nut? I dont want to mare or mess up something by being stupid with tools that aren't needed.

My dad has one of these and i want to get him a can for his birthday.

Nate

Onmilo
August 29, 2009, 12:12 PM
The LPA sight is still available.
Unfortunately, it must now be ordered direct from Italy.
There is no US distributer at the moment.
http://www.lpasights.com

Click the British flag for the site to load in English language.

Davy
August 29, 2009, 07:00 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b340/davy4/x244y8zzz.jpg

Make your own .. its simple enuff!

Also to get Loctite off ... you can usually heat it up ... and it will loosen (melt) and then remove ...

Davy

Rather-B-Huntin
December 20, 2009, 05:18 PM
I picked up a dandy 422 in a pawn shop two days ago for only $159.00

Exterior of gun is in 94-95% condition. Magazine has a couple of scratches and light rust spots but funtions fine. I took it to the range today and ran five magazines of el-cheapo bulk ammo through it with zero problems. Ran a mag of Aguilla SSS through it with no problems too. Now I'm going to start looking for a suppressor!!

These are great guns!!

7.62 Nato
February 5, 2011, 07:56 PM
I purchased a 4" 422 recently but haven't had much chance to play with it yet. It came with a red dot scope, and mount that replaces the right grip panel. It didn't have the original right side grip though. Does anybody know if grips for a 22A might fit, or is this a completely different gun ? I'm thinking about changing the Red dot scope out for a reflex I have.

abuelo
February 6, 2011, 03:51 PM
I have a 2206 stainless with adj sights, just love it, will not be sold. Never could understand why they stopped production.

rvehock
February 6, 2011, 04:13 PM
Purchased a S&W 422 for my two boys 20 years ago along with a pair of marlin model 60 rifles to teach them how to shoot properly. Sold off both of the marlins but have kept the 422 and still enjoy plinking with it to this day:

http://vehock.dyndns.org/422_1.jpg
http://vehock.dyndns.org/422_2.jpg

351 WINCHESTER
February 6, 2011, 07:54 PM
PROBLEM. I had one years ago. My oldest son was shooting it when the rear sight came off and almost hit him in his eye. I called S & W and they sent me a prepaid ups label. Upon examination the ting screw that held the rear sight on had come loose. They replaced it with a rivet. I had placed locktite on the screw, but it still came off.

Other than that they are outstanding pistols. Much better than a lot of .22's being made today.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 422 - anybody have one?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!