Smith can't rebarrel my 25-5

PDA

Nightcrawler
August 1, 2003, 11:44 PM
Just got a letter in the mail from Smith & Wesson today. They can fix the cylinder problem my revovler had, for a total of just under eighty dollars, but they don't have any barrels available.

So, I'm not going to get a 4" .45 Colt wheelgun from them.

Who, then, can you recommend to rebarrel my 25-5?

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith can't rebarrel my 25-5" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
August 2, 2003, 12:02 AM
I'd contact Hamilton Bowen (http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/). He's expensive, but his workmanship is perhaps the best gunsmithing in the industry today... you pay for what you get, which is a masterpiece! If he doesn't have a barrel available, he can probably fabricate one for you by re-boring and re-rifling one from a similar gun in a smaller caliber - he's done this before: see here (http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/gallery10.html) for an example of a Smith & Wesson .38 bored out to a .45. I'm sure he could do something similar for a barrel for your 25-5.

Phil in Seattle
August 2, 2003, 02:07 AM
From Bowens website

No. SW300 Shorten factory barrel Barrel cut and crowned in the factory style with and fitted with a Weigand sight base with hand-detachable factory-style sight blades. Available only for heavy, target-style barrels.

No. SW300 $325

Nightcrawler
August 2, 2003, 07:07 AM
Thanks! I'll check out Bowens when I get back. Maybe not right away...I just splurged on gun stuff last night...$360 worth of gun stuff...hee hee...

Well, forteen hundred rounds of .308 from AIM, five hundred rounds of .45 from Ammoman, and five GI 1911 mags from Ammoman as well...

Old Fuff
August 2, 2003, 09:49 AM
Nightcrawler:

What length of barrel is on the gun now?

mtnbkr
August 2, 2003, 10:26 AM
see here for an example of a Smith & Wesson .38 bored out to a .45.

I have drooled over this gun since the day I saw it in a gun magazine. That has to be one of the classiest guns I could imagine.

Chris

Jim Watson
August 2, 2003, 08:45 PM
Assuming you want a shorter barrel...
SDM will cut, crown, and install an interchangeable blade sight ramp for $200.
http://www.sdmfabricating.com/
I have not seen one in person, but the pictures look good.

ElToro
August 4, 2003, 09:24 PM
not to pour salt or anything... but i just sold a 4 inch m25 barell on the classified on the smith forum... sorry ... keep your eyes peeled on e-bay should get one for under a 100.. also look for the more common 6 or 8 inch and have a pro (bowen) hack it down...

aint that .45 colt heavy duty a piece of art!! i bought a HD for the sole purpose of haveng that conversion.. and those fishpaw grips...

you know i'm really a level headed guy... I drool out of both sides of my mouth :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith can't rebarrel my 25-5" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!