tumbler question

PDA

primlantah
February 7, 2008, 06:04 PM
I got a tumbler today and dont think its working. when it runs its loud and vibrates but the brass just sits in there... what on top stays on top. shouldnt there be more motion than this? i put in the polishing powder that came with the media i bought and it didnt even mix up with the corn cob. I think the brass got dirtier.

If you enjoyed reading about "tumbler question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ninja45
February 7, 2008, 06:42 PM
Make sure that all the screws are tight (tub and cover is secure fastened). Also, do not overfill your tub with media and brass. I fill mine two thirds of the way to maximize vibration and tumbling.

Ninja45

primlantah
February 7, 2008, 07:46 PM
i only have about 100 rounds of 45 acp brass in it and its half full with the corncob. This is probably defective... makes a burning electronics smell. its loud as crap too. are they soposed to be loud? i can turn it on outside and hear it inside easily.

scrat
February 7, 2008, 07:50 PM
they are usually pretty loud. But you should not smell any smoke. i know a few guys put theres in a wood cabinet lined with sound proof material. Makes sence. My wife always complains when i tumble brass. So i try to run it when she is drying clothes. Then tumble in the wash room.

THe Dove
February 7, 2008, 08:02 PM
Did you get a tumbler or Vibrator? Don't know about tumblers but I use a Lyman Turbo 1200 (Vibrator) and it works great. STOP USING YOURS IF IT SMELLS LIKE IT'S SMOKING or electrical fire, etc. etc......

The Dove

primlantah
February 7, 2008, 08:19 PM
its the RCBS mega tumbler.

ranger335v
February 7, 2008, 09:06 PM
Don't know quite what you are experiencing but it is common for new electical equipment to produce an odor until it "cooks" awhile.

The media and brass not moving much is a different problem. I wonder if you have the bowl nut snugly secured to the central post? If not, you won't get much bowl reaction and you will get a lot of rattling noise.

jenrob
February 7, 2008, 09:29 PM
The threaded stud that the lid goes on should have a nut on it that holds the bowl down tight. if this is loose it will be louder than normal bowl washer nut lid washer nut.

As far as smell after you get it turning the case. I would run it for about an hour keeping close watch on it. Then take it to another area and run it for a little while and see if you smell it still.

Chawbaccer
February 7, 2008, 09:56 PM
Make sure you have it setting on a sturdy surface, not a flimsy table or carpet. If nothing is helping get in touch with RCBS, they will go out of their way to help you.

coyotehitman
February 7, 2008, 09:56 PM
I would send it back if you can. You should definitely see the agitation and cyclonic effect; I have never had one smell, but most are loud. You might consider replacing it with a Cabela's brand tumbler, they are made by Berry's, have an excellent warranty, and are very inexpensive. Mine has polished well over 100k rounds and is still going strong.

primlantah
February 8, 2008, 12:48 AM
im lucky enough to havea cabelas in town... in fact, thats the only other place i can get a tumbler locally. Will look out for their brand this weekend.

The Bushmaster
February 8, 2008, 09:48 AM
If you can smell that tumbler running. RETURN IT....

primlantah
February 9, 2008, 01:46 PM
got the cabelas branded tumbler.... way different than what the other one was doing. It much more quiet and you can see things moving around inside. the rcbs unit was definitely dead on arrival.

RustyFN
February 9, 2008, 07:50 PM
You will be very happy with the Cabela's tumbler. I bought one three weeks ago and have cleaned around 3,000 cases and 2,000 bullets and it works great. I like the large capacity.
Rusty

bl4ckd0g
February 10, 2008, 10:29 PM
I've had great success w/ my Lyman tumbler. To get rid of the loud noise, place it in a closet (on the floor), then wrap it with a heavy coat or old blanket, like a comforter. That should dampen most of the noise.

cdan1
November 6, 2011, 12:25 AM
Wild billz posted about going to HF to look at cement mixers to use as a tumbler. I bought one today, put it together and left out the paddles. Turned it on and held some heavy grit metal sandpaper inside to rough it up. I'm planning on using stainless media /water/ soap and 500+ pcs of .45 brass. The surface of the tub is too smooth to us 'as is'. I was thinking of using the mig and welding on 6 - 8in pcs of steel rod, spacing them around the tub, then coating with 'dip it' to give a nice rubbery surface. If anyone has used a cement mixer and has any tips...i'd love to hear from you.
cdan1

If you enjoyed reading about "tumbler question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!