glock 21 SF, or springfield xd, 5" both 45 ACP

PDA

brian923
February 7, 2008, 07:35 PM
which one would you buy? both are 699.99, and both come with 2-13 round mags? if it were up to you, which one would you buy? why is that...
which one shoots more accuratly, and which one has more goodies to play with, (aftermarket parts)

thanks guys, brian

If you enjoyed reading about "glock 21 SF, or springfield xd, 5" both 45 ACP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
strat81
February 7, 2008, 07:44 PM
Glock will always win on aftermarket stuff unless you compare it to the 1911.

The Glock 21 SF doesn't fit my hand very well, so I'd go XD. If we were talking 9mm or .40, I'd choose Glock.

That's also a high price. Buds has them much cheaper:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_24/products_id/31171
$484 for the XD

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_43/products_id/42294
$537 for the Glock

wally
February 7, 2008, 07:48 PM
I've an older model Glock 21 with 3.5lb connector and a 5" XD45.

No contest for me. I shoot the XD much better. I'd suggest shooting both, (rent, borrow) and go with the one that feels best when shooting.

--wally.

CountGlockula
February 7, 2008, 08:41 PM
Glock 21SF

brian923
February 8, 2008, 12:01 AM
what aftermarket parts are availible for both guns? any websites? having trouble finding anuthing, but i have limited time on the computer. thanks for the help guys, brian

10-Ring
February 8, 2008, 01:25 AM
I prefer the Glock. I like the longer track record and the way it performs in my hands :D

Harley Quinn
February 8, 2008, 01:59 AM
I have shot the original Glock and the XD I like the bigger grip because of the way it fits my hand. The extra "grip safety" the xd has is nice, and the grip is smaller. The way it is rounded and made for smaller hands is good for those reasons, if you are smaller handed.

Both shoot well, the Glock 21 std, is the one I own though.:)

jjminch
February 8, 2008, 04:26 AM
Glock has the better track record and gets my vote.

Bulldog500
February 8, 2008, 05:48 AM
Get both... thats what I did.

railroader
February 8, 2008, 10:37 AM
Glock 21sf $529 plus $7.95 shipping. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277642 Mark

The-Fly
February 8, 2008, 11:59 AM
I went with the XD, because even the SF felt like a brick in my hand (and mind you, my carry gun is a G26 and my match gun is a G34).

Btw: those prices are a TOTAL rip off. You should be able to find either one of those for around low $500 range.

possum
February 8, 2008, 12:11 PM
those prices are way to high, but i would take the xd, as the glocks are way to nig for my hand, and the grip angle is horrible for me. i have 2 xds and i love em, and i would buy another in a heartbeat!

weisse52
February 8, 2008, 01:17 PM
Well, I always suggest you try and get to a range and see which one works best for you.
Do not let other people spend your money for you!
I have owned the G21 for several years and it works pretty well for me. I got to shoot the XD and will say that after shooting my 1911's it was very easy to transion to the XD.
In MY hands they both where about equal in accuracy. Not sure what after market parts you are looking for. What the XD may be missing now I am sure the aftermarket will catch up.

MarcusWendt
February 8, 2008, 01:22 PM
Have you shot them both? If you haven't that's what you need to do. I'd go with the XD, but that's me, my hands, and my style. You are different.

strat81
February 8, 2008, 04:20 PM
www.topglock.com
www.glockmeister.com

Midway and Brownells also carry a bunch of stuff.

james_bond
February 8, 2008, 04:35 PM
Well I got the Tactical XD-45acp and love it, it was less than the block and I am extreamily happy with it. you should however get the one that feels best in your hand.

there are plenty of XD parts and more on the way, www.pistolgear.com

possum
February 8, 2008, 05:15 PM
Glock has the better track record and gets my vote.
i wonder shy? how long has the g 21 been around as compared to the xd .45's, or the xd line for that matter?

aftermarket parts can eb found at www.pistolgear.com they are a great place and they ship fast and always have what i want/ need. they have alot of xd stuff and little glock stuff.

lonewolf dist. has alot of glock stuff, actually anything and everythig that you could want for a glock any model. glock and xd mags can be had from www.natchezss.com they have the best prices on glock mags that i have found, especially if you buy ten or more.

brian923
February 8, 2008, 11:18 PM
does glock make a 5" 45 acp pistol?? and do the compensated pistol shot any better? or is it mearly a cool factor. becuse it is really cool!

EDIT to add... does the compensated barrel effect velocity?

Bob Hostetter
February 8, 2008, 11:35 PM
We make a pretty complete line of aftermarket parts for the XD including trigger kits that make for a very nice trigger...........http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h198/BobHostetter/100_0755.jpg

brian923
February 9, 2008, 10:42 PM
anyonw know anything about the 6" barrels availible ffrom lone wolf??
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=4269

how do they work? also, i have heard that they may be working on a long slide for the 21. this would be awsome..

crebralfix
February 9, 2008, 11:03 PM
The XD is 1/4" taller than the Glock 21 (both with mags inserted). Both are difficult to conceal.

The G21 does have a track record; the 21SF technically does not.

Get the one you like or get both....

mike4guns
February 10, 2008, 02:17 AM
i'm not so much a xd guy. i collect sigs mainly . 220's even more specificlly but i had to buy the 21sf when i held it. the low recoil that a glock produces makes up for alot of the wide feel you get when first starting out. after firing it you realize it's a very accurate gun . no other light gun reduces recoil like a glock. my stainless sigs are better but much , much heavier. for a light ,polymer gun ,glock is a very controlllable ,accurate gun. i love mine and would never get rid of it. i can only imagine a all stainless steel glock. man ,i wish. when i alternate from a sig 220 ,i don't feel any less accurate or undergunned. besides a couple of berettas ,the glock is the only thing i own besides sigs. i think i'll keep her. the berettas i don't carry. just conversation peices. had a px4 and a 92fs hardchromed and they really catch your eye. nice lookin and all but i gotta bet my life on sig and sometimes glock. although the px4 is the most comfortable gun i ever felt. i keep it loaded in a draw. you never know. might have to carry everything one day. including the m1014... ps- a glock is an ugly gun but the xd is buttugly.

Rob96
February 10, 2008, 08:59 AM
I would have to give the nod to the G21 SF. It is a very nice 45 in terms of handling. I don't like the high bore axis or overall feel of the XD.

chauncey
February 10, 2008, 09:31 PM
if you shoot a lot of different automatics, I would recommend the XD. The grip angle is he same as the 1911, and most every other auto out there except Lugers and Glocks.

If it will be your only handgun, or if you like Glocks, get the Glock.

Either way, get the XD45 with the short grip, extendable with a full-size magazine, or get a Glock 30, and do the same thing with a Glock 21 magazine.

I am hoping Glock will come out with a G30 SF, or Springfield will come out with an XD45 sub-compact, single stack (like a G36).

GunNut
February 10, 2008, 10:47 PM
Glock 21SF for me, it's what I plan on picking up sometime in the next few months.

I did pick up a XD45 last year to try out, and while it was a good gun and gave me no issues, it just didn't do anything for me.

Moccw
February 10, 2008, 10:58 PM
if you go to www.summitgunbroker.com you can get a new 21sf for around $500, I have bought about 9 glocks from mark, live an hour from him. Best gun dealer ive ever known, good prices(BEST PRICES)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sapper771
February 11, 2008, 12:18 AM
I have owned both. I purchased the XD 45 to try it out. It is a good pistol , comfortable to shoot, accurate, and well made. I was carrying a Glock 21, which was slightly too big for my hands. When I finally got a chance to compare the Glock 21 to the Glock 21 SF, I was in love. I bought the Glock 21 SF and sold both the Glock 21 and the XD. My duty weapon is a Glock 31, but I prefer to carry a .45 off duty, so I compromise with a Glock 21 SF. One thing that you will notice on the XD is that it has a really long trigger reset which caused me problems with getting decently placed hammers (double taps), while the glock 21 SF has the standard trigger reset, but you can tweak it. XD does offer to do a trigger job that i heard is excellent , but the last price quote I heard around my campfire was in the neighborhood of $100.Another issue I had with the XD was that you could not fully disassemble the slide for cleaning, i mean you can , if you have a hammer and punch, but my personal preference is to have a weapon that I can fully disassemble to clean ( but that may be the military in me too). My only recommendation is to find a gun shop that stocks the XD and the Glock 21 SF. That way you can compare. Either way you go , they are both good weapons. You may also want to check this site out......it really made an impression on my decision.....
http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

Happy Hunting

Big Boomer
February 11, 2008, 12:51 AM
XD by far!

1. Grip angle is a better choice for most (not all)

2. Who gives a poo about 9000 accessories, if you want accessories or to trick it out buy a 1911. There are enough for the XD if you want to make it a little nicer like a trigger job and that's all that is really needed.

3. Grip safety

4. Chamber indicator

5. Striker fire (cocked) indicator

6. New manual safety a big plus. If you don't like it then just leave it off! (big bonus if you want to lighten that trigger to 3lbs.

7. Don't forget the SAFETY record as well. I'd have to say that even given the small time frame, percentage wise there are FAR fewer ND's from XD users than from GLOCK users...

8. XD come with a stainless slide...a bonus in my book

9. XD's look better IMHO (although they are close) and both are pretty ugly.

10. I like springfield as a company better. I like the fact that they offer many, many firearms of high quality. Not just pistols in a limited configuration. You would figure by now that Glock would offer shotguns, rifles, smg's, AR's and other things by now. They have been around now for quite some time and I give them an "F" in continuing R&D!

Hoosier Reloader
February 11, 2008, 09:39 PM
I've shot them both, several mags worth.
Both shot very well.
I liked the trigger on the Glock 21 SF better than the XD.
The XD felt better in my hand & was easier to bring back the sights back on target.

That's not saying I like one over the other, but the best advice I can give you is to beg/borrow each one and go to the range & try 'em out.

Lobotomy Boy
February 11, 2008, 10:55 PM
Shooting both to see which one you like is excellent advice. I have had a 21 for many years and think it is a great gun. It is what I keep beside my bed at night. But I am storing an XD45 in my safe right now for a cousin who is in college and find I shoot that much better than my 21 (and I shoot that gun extremely well). They didn't make the XD in .45 ACP when I bought my Glock, but if I had shot the two side by side, I'd have gone with the Springfield.

And maybe if I shoot a 21sf I'll like that even more than the XD. And maybe you won't. Both these guns will last a lifetime so it's worth your while to find a range that rents both and compare them before buying. You need to decide for yourself.

ARTJR338WM
February 11, 2008, 11:50 PM
XD all the way. I spent over six months going to every gun store in my area to look at as meny diferent XD45s and Glocks as I could find. After only a few handelings I strongly prefered the XDs feel over the Glock. The Glock is a excellent firearm in its own rite, but I liked the XDs added extra safety feature of the back strap safety the Glock lacked.

I would have to beg to differ on the discription of the Glocks trigger being superior to the XDs, on the contrary it is the opinion of those far more qualified than myself who rate the XDs trigger as one of the best of its type out there and comes closest to matching the single action feel of the 1911, and is quite well suited to for performing so called "double taps", at least as well as the Glock.

Now that Springfield is going to offer the XD with a manual safety, it makes it all that more atractive and more preferable VS the Glock to the majoraty of shooters, IMHO. My money is on Glock comming out with a Manual safety version of certain models in the near to very near future to compeat with the XD.

As you have been advised, try both in your hands and see what feels best to you.

If you enjoyed reading about "glock 21 SF, or springfield xd, 5" both 45 ACP" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!