DPMS Panther Sportical

PDA

QuakKillz
February 9, 2008, 01:15 AM
Any info on these? Seem like an inexpensive but nice ar....

any feedback would be appreciated.....I am a new AR guy(will be my first) and dont have more than about 6 or 700 to spend....

If you enjoyed reading about "DPMS Panther Sportical" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kind of Blued
February 9, 2008, 02:48 AM
6.3 lbs?! That's nice.

I can't really help you other than saying DPMS makes pretty decent stuff from what I know, and I doubt they "cut a bunch of corners" on their cheaper models.

I would suggest trying the rifle forum here, as well as AR15.com. Try searching the threads at AR15.com before posting. I'ms ure it's been brought up there.

QuakKillz
February 9, 2008, 05:29 PM
http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5295&cat=1716

wcwhitey
February 9, 2008, 07:10 PM
DPMS makes a good AR. I have both a DPMS and a Bushmaster. I would give the edge to the Bushmaster for fit and finish, it is prettier. But for shooting the DPMS is more accurate and both being 1/9 twist, the DPMS will shoot better with a wider range of bullet weights. Don't know who makes their barrels but they are good ones. They have both been extremely reliable and forgiving of ammo brands and handloads. I have never had a problem with my DPMS so I have no experience with their customer service. Bill

QuakKillz
February 10, 2008, 10:01 AM
thanks for all the help so far....

Brandon
February 10, 2008, 01:07 PM
does that front rail stick out front enough for back up sights?

kwelz
February 10, 2008, 02:56 PM
My boss and I were talking about these the other day.
We plan on getting a lot of these in, in fact I think we have already ordered a couple hundred of them. THey look like a great alternative to a normal Light 16 for someone who just wants a clean cheap rifle.

QuakKillz
February 10, 2008, 04:10 PM
does that front rail stick out front enough for back up sights?

not sure, it looks like there is somewhat of a rail on the front past the handguard, haven't seen one in person yet.....

stubbicatt
February 10, 2008, 06:00 PM
Looks like the gas block has a pic rail for sights.

wcwhitey
February 10, 2008, 08:27 PM
Yes the Gas Block has the rail to mount a front sight. I have the fold down front from DPMS with the same gas block, only for the bull barrel. Works well with a removable A2 sight.

thisisdenny
March 14, 2008, 01:37 AM
I figured resurecting this thread from a month ago wouldn't be as bad as some of the long (years) dead thread resurections I've sometimes seen.

As far as the "sportical" is concerned... only kinda miss the dustcover and if I bought one I might put a different stock on it but otherwise I think I might like it.

Anybody have any new feedback about these, good or bad?

-Denny

Evenflo76
March 18, 2008, 09:12 PM
Very interested in this one. Any news?

kwelz
March 18, 2008, 11:40 PM
Feedback has been great so far. Well except for the name, we just won't go there.

yosarian
March 19, 2008, 10:03 AM
Looks like a good handy rifle for the money.

sernv99
May 14, 2008, 10:22 PM
bump....I'm not a fan of the .223/5.56 round but I'm being drawn to this particular AR model for its looks and price. A gun shop near me has this for $679 and me thinks it would be wise to get at least one black rifle before the Nov. elections (I have my heart set on a FAL).

any updated yays or nays on this rifle? Can this rifle have iron sights added to it?

Thanks

Gord
May 16, 2008, 04:12 PM
I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. My gunshop also has one available for $679, and I'm looking to buy a few EBRs before November. Figured I'd have to settle for a generic AR to stay within my price range (sans building one myself) but the Sportical seems to be a nice alternative. I was surprised at how light it is; I can keep a bead on target one-handed if need be. The gas-block rail is nice, too.

The adjustable stock does feel a little flimsy, and I'd prefer to have a dustcover/bayo mount, but eh. Any other opinions?

BlackJackal
May 16, 2008, 04:19 PM
I may be mistaken but dont they guarantee 1" groups for there panther models?

QuakKillz
May 16, 2008, 07:27 PM
wish I could find one in stock.......

SAKOHUNTER
June 9, 2008, 09:43 PM
I bought one Saturday from my local shop jensenarms.com for $599+tax and so far it seems to be a nice quality gun.

It does not have the dust cover or forward assist and you will need to mount a scope or iron sights on it.

I haven't had a chance to make it to the range yet but will post some results when I do.

BsChoy
June 9, 2008, 10:16 PM
I'm glad someone posted this query. I just went the the Colt LE AR-15 armorers school and am looking to buy/build and ar by the end of the year. I saw this model and it seems cheaper than any comb of builds I can think of so it might be my way to go

Evenflo76
June 30, 2008, 09:47 PM
Mine will be here Wednesday!! :D:D:D

If you enjoyed reading about "DPMS Panther Sportical" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!