MN Headspacing

PDA

dispatch55126
February 9, 2008, 12:17 PM
Is this such an issue with all matching numbers?

I can see it with a mix match bolt but if it is all matching and in good condition, one would think it would still be fine.

If you enjoyed reading about "MN Headspacing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cracked butt
February 9, 2008, 12:22 PM
Generally no.

paintballdude902
February 9, 2008, 12:22 PM
i would still chekc it with a go/no go guage just to be on the safe side

dmftoy1
February 9, 2008, 06:04 PM
I just finished doing mine. It'll cost you $17 to pick up either a no-go or field gauge (your choice). You don't need a "go" gauge as your ammo is doing that for you! It'll take you all of 5 minutes if you know how to break down your bolt and put it back together. The hardest part is drifting the extractor out.

Don't forget to put the extractor back in when you're done . . . . I did both of my Mosin, had them back in the gunsocks and in the safe and then noticed two extractor's sitting on my bench. :( The good news is that I think i could tear down a Mosin bolt with my eyes closed. :)

Have a good one,
Dave

Jim Watson
February 9, 2008, 06:46 PM
What do you milsurpers do when you find a rifle with excess chamber headspace? Enough to accept the Field gauge, just to be sure we are talking about something generally considered undesirable.

dmftoy1
February 9, 2008, 07:15 PM
I suspect everyone has their own idea's . .but I think it'd be a wallhanger or parts gun for me if it failed a field gauge.

Antipasta
February 9, 2008, 10:07 PM
Pick up one of these...you don't have to remove the extractor, which makes it ideal to use at gun shows or prior to purchase.

http://hometown.aol.com/yankeng/myhomepage/business.html

spiroxlii
February 9, 2008, 10:42 PM
What to do when you find out that your milsurp has excessive headspace depends on which milsurp you're talking about.

With an Enfield, you can just change the bolt face. Easy and cheap.

With a Mauser, if I'm not mistaken, you'd have to rebarrel the weapon. Not so easy or cheap.

If you enjoyed reading about "MN Headspacing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!