Newbie with a New Rifle

PDA

misternothingman
February 9, 2008, 06:31 PM
I'm very new to firearms and have loved it so far. This site has helped a lot in building my knowledge base, but being as new as I am to this, with very few people I'm close to knowing much about guns, I'm left in the dark on some things. Specifically proper cleaning. I have in the past been to the range with a friend that has some nice guns and had fun firing, but when time came to clean those guns, I wasn't around.

Now I've got a Remington 700 ADL that I am going to be using for medium/long range (out to maybe 400 yards) target shooting and hunting. I have literally no idea what I need to do after shooting my rifle in order to see that it is ready to go in either the next day or a few months later when I have a little time and can bring it back out. I'm sure there are a few websites dedicated to proper rifle cleaning, but I was just wanting to hear any tips or preferences that you guys might have as far as certain techniques or one brand over another. I'm going to go buy what I need to clean it before I go shoot it, and since I have nothing on hand, I'll need to buy oil, and a cleaning kit, but what else? Just curious to see what you guys had to say. What should I buy, and what should I skip or stay away from?

My apologies if this has been discussed at length on a thread a month ago or whatever. This seemed a bit below the experience level of most topics on here. If you find a thread aimed at this sort of thing, just post the link for me. Thanks for the help!

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbie with a New Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Six O'clock Tactical
February 9, 2008, 06:56 PM
I have no experience with the Rem 700, so Ill stick to the basics of my experiences.

Ive only used Hoppes formula 9 for all of my guns, and because my guns are all old i liberally add oil to the internals and let it sit after cleaning, then ill wipe off the excess and re-assemble. Make sure you have the proper cleaning rod and/or brushes, as well as a load of patch cloth and some very basic tools (screwdrivers, etc.)

Some people stick with simple maintinance cleaning, I however strip my rifles down every time I shoot a box.

Welcome to THR.

RLsnow
February 9, 2008, 06:56 PM
dont have any advice

just wanna say: there no stupid questions, only stupid answers

like this one xD

GunTech
February 9, 2008, 07:21 PM
You picked a good rifle. The Remington 700 is a great rifle in and of itself, and if you like to customize or tweak, there's plenty of options.

You didn't mention caliber, and that would be helpful.

As far as cleaning, the easiest thing for a newcomer is probably to stick with one of the modern options like breakfree, which is both a cleaner and a lubricant. Unless you need a rod to take into the field, I would advise a one piece, polymer covered cleaning rod, bronze brushes, jag and cotton patches. You don;t have to buy the latter. And old T shirt works fine. Just cut into 1-1.5 inch squares.

The basic rule of thumb is to clean from the breach to the muzzle, starting with a bronze brush to remove lead, copper and fouling, then clean with a jag and patch, repeating the process with new patches and CLP until the patch comes out relatively clean. Then finish with a dry patch.

As far as the rifle, the first thing you will probably want to look at is the trigger. In my experience, most 700 ship with fairly heavy triggers. You gunsmith should be able to adjust the trigger to about 3 pounds, with little takeup and no overtravel.

As you gain experience, you may decide on other options - barrel, stock etc. Those options are pretty much only limited to how much you want to spend.

Finally, you need to become very familiar with the operation of your rifle - how to load, unload, operate the safety. The basic rules of gun handling apply. You should practice them until automatic.

Congratulations on your new rifle, and good luck.

birdbustr
February 9, 2008, 07:27 PM
Since you have a bolt action rifle, your main focus will be the barrel after and during use at the range. The action and bolt just need a coat of gun oil to as rust prevention. There's not really any parts that have to be super slick or greased to prevent jamming.

I would recommend a solid cleaning rod(the screw togethers are OK, but the solids are much stronger and less likely to break), a nylon brush for whatever caliber you have, a brass brush in whatever caliber, and cleaning patches. You will need something that will cut copper from the barrel after shooting. I recommend Barnes copper solvent, or any other copper solvent for the bore. The foaming bore cleaner is also a very good way to go.
Here is my order of cleaning:
1. Take out the bolt, and put the foaming bore cleaner in from the breech (Do everything from the breech). Let it sit for several minutes (I think it recommends no more than 15).
2. Take the rod and nylon brush with a patch around the brush and push out the bore cleaner out.
3. Take the rod and the brass brush and send it down the barrel several times.
4. Take the rod with nylon attactment, wrap the nylon brush with a patch and put some of the liquid copper solvent. Send it down the barrel, then turn the patch inside out and send it again.
5. Do the same step as above, except with only a dry patch around the nylon brush. Send it through, changing to clean patches as needed until the patches come through with very little discoloration.
6. Send one more patch through with a little gun oil on it if you are done with the rifle for the day or the season. If I am at the range, I skip this step and only use gun oil in the barrel before I am putting the rifle up.

I'm sure others have somewhat different methods, but this is pretty quick and basic. BTW IMO I advise against using anything that is not made specifically for guns, some do if, but you risk getting the wrong brand or your rifle parts and components may not be the same as their rifles. (ie. I wouldn't use: brake cleaner, mineral oil, machine oil, wd-40, etc)

sarduy
February 9, 2008, 11:58 PM
I'm sure others have somewhat different methods, but this is pretty quick and basic. BTW IMO I advise against using anything that is not made specifically for guns, some do if, but you risk getting the wrong brand or your rifle parts and components may not be the same as their rifles. (ie. I wouldn't use: brake cleaner, mineral oil, machine oil, wd-40, etc)

what's wrong with Mianeral oil? is it bad? because that's what i use.

ramey84
February 10, 2008, 02:09 AM
i'm a big fan of the boresnake

If you enjoyed reading about "Newbie with a New Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!