MSAR STG 556: Forward assist = time bomb?

PDA

ether
February 10, 2008, 01:41 AM
I handled this gun for the first time today and I love it. I want one! It seems incredibly well-made...even more so than the original. But the same thing that bothered me in the pics bothered me even more when I handled it...and that's the AR-style forward assist staring you right in the face. At least it doesn't get in the way when you're aiming...but what happens to that little "button" if your gun explodes? It was just a little unnerving to me, but then I would think the same thing about the AR forward assist if I was a "lefty". It just seems to hit a little closer to home since it's a bullpup, and the chamber and forward assist are right in front of your head. And maybe you'd have bigger problems to worry about if you had a CF in any bullpup. So what say you guys? Is the foward assist an accident waiting to happen? Personally, I'd rather not have it.

If you enjoyed reading about "MSAR STG 556: Forward assist = time bomb?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fast Frank
February 10, 2008, 02:35 AM
I don't know about that rifle, but the forward assist on an AR15 doesn't touch the carrier unless you push it in. The little ratchet pawl that makes it work retracts into the upper, and it's just there until you use it.

If the bolt blew open for whatever reason, the forward assist would not be involved.

In the event of a kaboom, the forward assist is pretty low on the list of things to worry about.

brentn
February 10, 2008, 02:41 AM
Out of all the kaboom's that I've seen, I have never seen a forward assist 'shoot out' of the upper reciever lol. Usually its a piece of the bolt and/or theupper reciever itself that shoots into your eye, or face, or brain during a kaboom. Hands are usually involved as well, but the FA is probably the least of your worries during a KB

ether
February 10, 2008, 02:55 AM
I know the forward assist doesn't touch the carrier, but it does ride in a channel in the receiver that could conceivably fill with high-pressure gas if there was a case failure...that's what gives me pause. And in this rifle, it's encapsulated by plastic rather than metal and is much closer to your head than in an AR.

Fast Frank
February 10, 2008, 03:11 AM
OK, I see that you are worried about it, but in reality it doesn't happen that way.

Wes Janson
February 10, 2008, 12:19 PM
If things go bad in a big way, I'm much more worried about the fragments of hot steel and aluminum coming from barrel/bolt/receiver, on any given firearm.

LexusNexus
February 10, 2008, 01:01 PM
With a properly made "solid" receiver, it should contain the explosion. I think that's the issue. The AR is solid on the left side, and the explosive force would exit to the right and away from the righthanded shooter. So being right hand does have its advantage. On the other hand, ambi receiver is less protective on the left side, and it could conceivably break or shoot small parts toward the shooter head. I think that's the concern with all of these modern ambi swappable receivers.

If you enjoyed reading about "MSAR STG 556: Forward assist = time bomb?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!