M1a 20 vs 30 round magazines

PDA

Lucky
February 10, 2008, 02:51 AM
I'm looking at getting some magazines. Where I am they're all pinned to 5 rounds so it's besides the point, but in the land of the free is there any point to 30 round magazines over 20's? The pinned 30-rounders here come with a bandolier made for the FN Fal, so that's sort of a bonus in their favour. Does it make up for their largeness?

If you enjoyed reading about "M1a 20 vs 30 round magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911user
February 10, 2008, 03:21 AM
Nope, 30 round mags for an M1A are too long for practical prone use. IMHO of course.

Andrewsky
February 10, 2008, 03:11 PM
Hi there.

If you go to 44mag.com you will see the various M14 magazines available from the USGI-contract manufacturer (this means they're good).

All the magazines are made by the same company that makes the magazines you get with a new SAI M1A.

They have 20 rounders, which are excellent, and they have 25 rounders, which are said to be reliable. I haven't tried the 25 rounders. The 25 rounders are more expensive and use the same springs as the 20 rounders.

Get 'em before Hillary gets 'em!:neener:

H2O MAN
February 10, 2008, 03:37 PM
I have several 25 round CMI M14 mags from 44 mag for my MK14 SEI Mod 1.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/44MAG-3_small.jpg (http://www.athenswater.com/images/44MAG-3.jpg) < Click image to Super Size.

The extra 5 rounds is nice and it's not much longer or heavier than a 20 round mag.

Andrewsky
February 10, 2008, 04:08 PM
H20 MAN, I just want to let you know that once I get out of school I'm going to have an M14 collection that will flat-out embarass you.:evil::evil::evil:

I'm just jealous.:o

Vityaz
February 10, 2008, 04:10 PM
H20 MAN, just ignore Andrewsky. He apparently got into the caffeine today.

Andrewsky
February 10, 2008, 04:12 PM
Vityaz ваш M14 является единственной вещью, которая препятствует мне порабощать Вас.

Vityaz
February 10, 2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I've never heard of a 30 round mag working well. Unless it's USGI or a new one from CMI, I wouldn't waste the money.

Toldja Andrewsky got into the caffeine.

gcrookston
February 10, 2008, 04:17 PM
I've seen 30 round mags, but can't conceive of a useful purpose for them. I'm 20 round, even a couple 5 round.

4v50 Gary
February 10, 2008, 04:20 PM
Stick with mil-spec equipment. Aftermarkets are rarely well engineered. Spring strength is a science and the Germans graph theirs to study the pressure curve. A spring that is too strong will impede the unlocking, slowing it down and making extraction/ejection less certain. Because the spring is stronger, more force is required for the bolt to strip a fresh cartridge from the magazine too, making feed uncertain. It's more than a matter of using the same spring steel and making it longer. It's making it work and work reliably which should concern any potential user. Otherwise, it's just an aftermarket seeking to compete with others for your disposable capital.

10X
February 11, 2008, 05:49 PM
30 rounders are not made to mil spec and are not reliable.

USGI or the CMI made mags sold by 44mag.com are reliable.

Check Mate Industries (CMI) is a US Gov't contractor for magazines.

H2O MAN
February 11, 2008, 06:19 PM
H20 MAN, I just want to let you know that once I get out of school I'm going to have an M14 collection that will flat-out embarass you.

I'm just jealous.

H20 MAN, just ignore Andrewsky. He apparently got into the caffeine today.

It's all good - I would like to see all of you have a similar collection :cool:

http://www.athenswater.com/images/MK14Mod1-small.jpg

Andrewsky
February 11, 2008, 06:37 PM
I like how you can see the shims with that set-up.:)

GunTech
February 12, 2008, 01:53 AM
I like the Sage until I found out how heavy they are.

I haven't tried the 25s, but the two 30 rounders I tested were terrible. I would advise to stick with USGI mags.

glockman19
February 12, 2008, 02:37 AM
Stick with mil-spec equipment. Aftermarkets are rarely well engineered.

I second that. I have 20 rounders.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1a 20 vs 30 round magazines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!