gun for the end of the world

PDA

apmilton
February 10, 2008, 02:03 AM
Alright, I have been reading other people’s scenarios and decided to come up with my own. Suppose an apocalyptic event occurs (influenza pandemic, nuclear war, impact with space object…..you pick). Suppose you survive and are able to carry only two firearms (to defend your family, provide food….basically general purposes), one being a handgun what would you pick. Remember ammunition is scarce as well as maintenance materials.

If you enjoyed reading about "gun for the end of the world" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TAB
February 10, 2008, 02:04 AM

nothing you can't hunt with it, and we all know its power for SD

boots
February 10, 2008, 02:06 AM
some type of AK variant for my rifle, and for the handgun...

hmmmm....ruger gp100...does it have to be semi since this is in the semiauto forum???

i would take a gp100 though for my handgun...

gp100 and ak are both known for durability and reliability...probably won't break on me, and little need for maintenance...

i could hunt, snipe, provide cover fire, plenty of ammo and ammo would be easy to find...

gunman42782
February 10, 2008, 02:08 AM
AR-15 and 1911.

sm
February 10, 2008, 02:10 AM
.22 rim-fire.
Small concealable handgun, and single shot rifle.

Ammo works for barter, both ways.
Small concealable handgun for being amongst persons or any restricted areas where being nondescript might be needed, the rifle is proven for small game, and even 'poaching season".

Recalling more history how the .22 has been used for situations, one can get other guns, with these two guns...

Eightball
February 10, 2008, 02:15 AM
Either a Springfield 1903, or a customized M70 with a stainless barrel, in .30-06. Most common round near where I live, the customized M70 would work for hunting and long range duty, the 1903 would work for the same and be more robust.

For a handgun, most certainly a .357. If you find .357 ammo, use it. If you find .38 ammo, use it. The best option for this would be that Medusa revolver from not too many years ago, that could use .380, 9x18, 9x19, .38 special, and .357 mag ammo.
If I had to have a semi-auto, I'd probably take a 1911. There's plenty of them out there, .45ACP=.45ACP, many parts are interchangeable (if I find one elsewhere, keep it for spare parts, etc). I would like to carry around something different, but in the off chance that this is supposed to be the "end of the world", and I am intending to have this thing the rest of my life--well, a crapload of Americans have 1911s, and if I'm using one with GI parts, I can pirate those out of other people's firearms, because no matter how many customization options one firearm may have that another doesn't--chances are, stuff'll swap. That's not guaranteed on most other platforms/calibers of weapon.

boots
February 10, 2008, 02:19 AM
maybe instead of the ak, i would take a 22 inch barrel ppump shotgun of somesort...doesn't matter which brand, winchester, mossberg, remington...

reason being is that the ak is mag fed, and i'd rather have a gun that only needs bullets to funtion...kind of like a revolver over a semi...no need to worry about magazines...

the shotty could be used for hunting, and 7 or 8 rounds would be plenty for most situations...

although, the ak would be really usefull if you were to encounter another hostile gang that had me outnumbered...

Hunter0924
February 10, 2008, 02:22 AM
Government Model and Ar 15.

Titan6
February 10, 2008, 02:28 AM
If it really were the end of the world why would I need guns?

Hmmm.... since this is hand gun forum I guess select a hand gun...

Glock 9mm or .40.

apmilton
February 10, 2008, 02:35 AM
Allow me to rephrase the title…..Gun for the total collapse of the American government, economy, and basically the whole society as we know it due to an apocalyptic event in which you have to live the rest of your life scrounging for food…..any better?

blutarsky
February 10, 2008, 02:51 AM
...Gun for the total collapse of the American government, economy, and basically the whole society as we know it due to an apocalyptic event in which you have to live the rest of your life scrounging for food...

if you're in it for food -- .22lr owns all. you can buy several thousand rounds for less than $100 (federal 550 packs for ~$12) which will keep you good to go for a LONG time. .22 guns are pretty affordable, too -- brand new handgun for <$300 and good quality rifle for <$450 (or, of course, middle of the road for faaaar less... but even those won't suffer too much for lack of utility in situation you describe).

now, aside from a couple good .22's, i'd also have something bigger to scare away the two-legged predators should they decide to come 'a knockin. but ideally the .22's would be for primary use and for hunting... shotguns with slugs, or other calibers for defense would ideally be mostly "for show" but be ready if need be.

Blakenzy
February 10, 2008, 03:23 AM
The best option for this would be that Medusa revolver from not too many years ago, that could use .380, 9x18, 9x19, .38 special, and .357 mag ammo.
+1

And a light weight .22 carbine with a sound suppresor for hunting. That way you can get food without attracting unwanted attention.

Sixtigers
February 10, 2008, 05:52 AM
I think sm nailed it.

The name of my game in such a scenario is not so much offense, as to not be noticed at all. I can bring home enough meat with a .22 (given that there is anything left to kill for food) to support me and mine, and put many thousands of rounds away against that possibility without it breaking the bank. Also, I think .22LR would be a great trade commodity--everybody's got 'em, and everybody will want/need the bullets. Having five or six thousand put away sounds like a good idea. So:

I'd say a good .22 rifle. For me, it'd be the bolt action I've had since I was...well, let's just say over thirty years.

For a handgun, I'd stick with a 1911A1. The handgun, for me, is a defensive weapon, not a hunting weapon. I should not have to use it much, or hopefully, at all.

I choose no EBRs because of the cost of ammo, and for the fact that I don't think I'm young enough anymore to go out looking for trouble...and more than likely, if trouble comes looking for me, no one rifle is going to help me too much one way or another.

If I was bivouacked with a group, I'd want my M1A and a .45. I'd still have my .45 for defense, and the M1A would make me an asset for group defense, where the .22 might not help so much.

Tom C.
February 10, 2008, 10:22 AM
I suspect survival in this type of situation is a mult-part event: if you are at work when this happens, you need to get home; after you get home, you may need to survive long term or move somewhere else. Getting home may be walking, therefore minimize the load.

To get home, I have chosen a Marlin 1894C in .357 mag and a S&W 627 .357. In addition, a Ruger MK II 678GC with an Ultradot LT red dot sight to serve as a .22 “pocket rifle” for small game food gathering, if necessary.

Brian Williams
February 10, 2008, 02:07 PM
Colt Woodsman 1st series and a maxim offset suppressor or a S&W 35-1 and a marlin 1894c in 357.

Geronimo45
February 10, 2008, 02:21 PM
My Marlin .22... Model 70 or 60, don't recall. Semi-auto, mag-fed from a 15-rounder. Pretty accurate, has sling mounts. For handgun... hard choice. Either the Beretta .22 or a K-frame Smith in .357. Maybe a S&W bodyguard model in .357.

Prince Yamato
February 10, 2008, 02:27 PM
I'd take my Glock 26. :)

meef
February 10, 2008, 02:31 PM
Only thing missing from the title of this thread is "SHTF".

:cool:

Ala Dan
February 10, 2008, 02:57 PM
West German 9m/m SIG P228, and Colt M4A3 in .223 caliber~! ;) :D

bannockburn
February 10, 2008, 04:13 PM
For the handgun part, I would have to go with a Colt 1911 .45ACP, along with a .22LR conversion unit. Best of both worlds. Some of the others have it right; the last thing you would want to happen in an End of the World situation would be to get drawn into any sort of firefight. You don't have the firepower, logistics, and support to come out ahead in any sort of extended gunplay. Your only chance for survival would be for an extremely low profile until the situation stabilizes (if it ever does). Think defensively.

spyderdude
February 10, 2008, 05:03 PM
An AK-47 or one of its variants
Glock 19

dixierifleman
February 10, 2008, 05:28 PM
AR variant with a 22lr conversion, suppressor, plenty of mags and ammo, ACOG and iron sights. for a pistol, 1911 style double stack

gunnerh
February 10, 2008, 05:35 PM
Any of the combo rifle/shotgun. Pick your caliber choices 22/410, 30/30/20ga or the new Remington in .223/12ga. I think that maybe my next long gun. The most availabe ammo after SHTF will be IMHO .22, 30/30 and 12GA from any remaining retail souces and .223 and 9mm from miltary. For a carry piece a well-broken in Walther P22, small but good enough.

qwert65
February 10, 2008, 06:09 PM
I'd go with a 1911 and a 12 gauge

tblt
February 10, 2008, 06:13 PM
My ruger 10/22 with 50 round clip and my single sig w/22 mag.

tblt
February 10, 2008, 06:15 PM
Just kiding above 9mm w/many mags.and an ak 47

or a Federal Sandrail's Mini-Gun

bensdad
February 10, 2008, 06:25 PM
Procurement of animal protien will not be a concern that involves firearms for me. Shooting food would be a waste of time and energy in that sort of situation. With a few different types of parachord and fishing line, I can cover literally dozens of game trails 24/7 while I rest, collect wood, filter water, build quarters, pick edible plants, etc.

The only need for guns would be defense. To that end, I'll take my 1911 for carry and an AR15 in .223 (A3 with scope).

19-3Ben
February 10, 2008, 08:41 PM
3" GP100 and a Marlin 1894c in .357mag.
I like ammo commonality, and they would cover me for defense and hunting.

Debunk Brady
February 10, 2008, 08:49 PM
GLOCK 19 with one 17 round mag in the gun and five or six 33 round mags in my backpack, and a Remington 700 .30-06

gruesomenewsom
February 10, 2008, 09:04 PM
id take my 6" gp100 and my SKS.

Funderb
February 10, 2008, 09:11 PM
Mosin Nagant, M91-30 Iron sights.
.357 Mag 4" barrel revolver.
Have plenty of ammo for it already!
What else would you need?

Magnum.35744
February 10, 2008, 09:36 PM
Well looks like I'd be sticking with my favorite Big-Bores...

Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull :eek:

And...

Marlin 1895 Guide Gun .45-70 Govt. :what:

:neener:

Prince Yamato
February 10, 2008, 10:06 PM
You know, all these threads presume that you are the only one with a gun. If you've noticed, a lot of us have guns.

My prediction:

In a real SHTF scenario, society crumbles for 5 minutes tops until THR readers restore order and install Oleg Volk as president.

miestro_jerry
February 10, 2008, 10:10 PM
I would say a AR15 HBAR, a Browning HiPower would be my main two weapons, along with my M1a and Kimber Raptor II. Plenty of ammo, and the guts to use them.

Jerry

doorman
February 11, 2008, 02:13 PM
12 ga pump for defense and hunting
.22lr revolver for small game

Autolycus
February 11, 2008, 02:18 PM
A Sig P226 in 9mm.

strangelittleman
February 11, 2008, 03:49 PM
A Marlin 1894CP and a S&W 686+ Mtn.Gun, Both in .357 mag. If not that, Ruger PC9 and CZP01. Already have them.
I like ammo commonality......but I sure would miss my M1903A3......

dasmi
February 11, 2008, 03:55 PM
Glock 17, AK-47.

3pairs12
February 11, 2008, 03:57 PM
Ruger 10/22 and some sort of 22 pistol. Ammo is lighter and would be able to pack a whole lot of it.

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
February 11, 2008, 04:17 PM
XD9 service for the 9mm nato round
ether my mosin M44, Mossberg 500, or Marlin 60. whatever i could grab out the door.

mike4guns
February 11, 2008, 10:30 PM
my glock21(sf) and my nelli m1014 with the one piece extension i bought for just that type of scenerio. and a duffle bag full of 50 50 ammo hydra shock230's and hornady le oo buck and slugs. with one hydrashock with my name on it. in case of radiation poisoning... but i do also like dasmi's g17/ar combo too. oh sorry , i thought he said ar as in ar15. no ak for me. good gun but i'm to patriotic. if i'm gonna go i'll go with a italian gun but not a russian commy gun. actually i'm torn between my g21 and my 8 times 627 pc gun. i guess whatever is closer to me. no stopin the revolver 8 shot

Wedge
February 11, 2008, 10:46 PM
I'd have to go with some sort of .338 Win-mag kept in a backpack and then a "Deagle"" in .50 AE for CCW. I may replace the .338 with a .458 I haven't determined yet. This will be for defense and hunting.

My wife will cover me with a Barret .50 BMG and a Kel-tec PLR for CCW.

The dog will have a small sled for ammo. He will also carry a few frag grenades and be fixed with trauma plates so he can effectively shuttle ammo bewteen my wife and I as we alternate shots and advance.

Obviously we'll be utilizing our red wheelbarrow. That just goes without saying.

Just Jim
February 11, 2008, 11:52 PM
:banghead: Nope I got to have three guns:D:neener:

jj

monadh
February 11, 2008, 11:58 PM
My choice would be a phaser set to "disintegrate", beam turn on a broad pattern.

Short of finding one of those, my HP USP 45, with my Hungarian AK strapped over my shoulder.

Sapper771
February 12, 2008, 12:01 AM
Robinson Arms XCR and my Glock 21 SF, but I have to agree with Jim, I want to take three with me. If that was the case, I would include my MPA30 for those hairy , close encounters.

boots
February 12, 2008, 01:43 AM
i guess i'm missing something, because i really don't understand the people who would pick 22 caliber weapons in this scenario...

i realize that bigger is not always better, but .22 rimfire rifles and pistols seem inadequate when the world is ending...

i mean, why not a glock 17 and a 9mm carbine of some sort??? they would do everything a 22 would do, and they would be better as defensive guns...

Geronimo45
February 12, 2008, 02:56 AM
i guess i'm missing something, because i really don't understand the people who would pick 22 caliber weapons in this scenario...
Ammunition, simplicity, weight... if you're gonna haul the thing 'till you die, might as well be lightweight. :p

easyg
February 12, 2008, 10:39 AM
Glock G17 and a .22LR caliber rifle.

In such a situation, all of the large game will be quickly hunted to extinction.
But there will always be birds and rodents and small game around, which the .22 is well suited to harvest.
It's also a rather quiet round compared to many larger calibers....you wouldn't want to broadcast your location, right? ;)
And .22 ammo is extremely common and so should be easily obtained long after other calibers are scarce.

The G17 is very reliable under even the worse conditions, and it's light-weight too.
And 9mm ammo is also extremely common.

Just Jim
February 12, 2008, 11:34 AM
I guess the difference in the choice of large or small caliber is the outlook of the individual. Large caliber may mean they expect to be in a war enviroment and small caliber may mean they expect to use their guns for harvesting food.

Fortunately we have never really had to make the choice. It could be the last choice you ever get though.

jj

easyg
February 12, 2008, 12:42 PM
Large caliber may mean they expect to be in a war enviroment and small caliber may mean they expect to use their guns for harvesting food.
If you're in a war environment, a good handgun is still probably all you really need.
After all, unless you are in fact a Soldier, carrying around a service rifle is very likely going to instantly identify you as a target or potential threat.
But with a concealed handgun you appear to be just another poor civilian caught up in a war torn land.

1KPerDay
February 12, 2008, 12:52 PM
Flintlock rifle in .40 or .50 cal... I'd have to learn how to make gunpowder, though.

Cartridges won't last forever, you know. ;)

Boats
February 12, 2008, 04:56 PM
The revelatory part of these games are the underlying presumptions they bare.

Some people mention barter and hunting. Other people mention effective self defense. Some are on the move and some are static. Some presume they have enough ammo and others that it will have to be scrounged for.

Some of this goes back to views on human nature. If one inclined to believe people are basically good, folks are wary but form communities and a barter economy of some sort eventually emerges as the beginnings of a societal rebirth.

If one sees humans as intrinsically animalistic or evil, well, you have the world of The Road, by Cormac McCarthy, wherein no one will give you anything, fish and game and cats and dogs are long since eaten. Cows are extinct. Cannibalistic blood cults roam the countryside.

In the first scenario, you are not in fact carrying a single weapon for the rest of your foreshortened life. A soft crash would allow remnants of the best of human society to make islands or relative peace and prosperity where a righteous man could have, and keep, a small arsenal protected by strength in like numbers. One could return to the golf bag approach and use whatever had the most ammo available day-to-day, and use the more limited ammo "favorites" for community defense.

In the latter world, one is carrying the "world entire" on his back. Rate, effectiveness, accuracy, weight of platform, and weight of ammo for firepower has to be a consideration where resupply is iffy or not possible.

For that world, a .22lr rifle isn't enough gun, not even a hi-cap 10/22. In a nihilistic world where threats must be put down the first time, where game has to drop in its tracks, and where the constant carrying of the rifle is not an enormous burden in and of itself, is a tough game to play.

I gotta go with my Marlin 1894CB in .357 Magnum. It's a cowboy assault rifle when the magazine limiter is removed. At 6.5 pounds with no magazine to lose it is an easy carry, not difficult to make nearly unnoticeable, hits hard enough inside 125 yards that it will ruin anyone's day with a hit and fires two different calibers, the bullets of which can be lead castings if necessary.

The handgun part is then easy. My love for the government model aside, the magazine is the weak link of every bottom feeder ever made. My 4" Ruger GP-100 and a couple of speed loaders make it a less than ideal, but adequate CQB weapon in .357 Mag. The GP-100 was a service revolver and can be readily field stripped for cleaning its innards out.

Finally, both the .38 special and .357 Mag have what I call "legacy cases," the .38 Special's origins are from black powder days. That case capacity could come in handy as homemade gunpowder and reusing primers is not rocket science. Revolvers and levers are immune to functioning problems stemming from use of underpowered ammo and autos are not. At least the Ruger is also more tolerant of hotly reloaded ammo and therefore can be an ammo test bed for the carbine too. No autopistol I know of is capable of that.

1KPerDay
February 12, 2008, 05:03 PM
At the end of the world I'm going to Boats' house. He sounds smart. :D

steelyblue
February 12, 2008, 06:02 PM
308 in an AR platform and a 1911.

Boats
February 12, 2008, 06:12 PM
At the end of the world I'm going to Boats' house. He sounds smart.

In case of world ending emergency, I won't be here, as my location is too urban for my "survivalist" strategy, so feel free to come on by.;)

1KPerDay
February 12, 2008, 06:22 PM
Lol :d

Boats
February 12, 2008, 06:38 PM
http://www.roguesci.org/chemlab/energetics/lead_picrate.html

Lead picrate synthesis.

doc2rn
February 12, 2008, 06:53 PM
Didn't we just do end of the world strategy? We are all going to Mo. to live off the farms and elect Oleg President. We will use force of numbers to protect each other and work the land. We will have AKs and Glock 17/19s. Our rich Uncle is footing the bill for us to be outfitted.

chieftain
February 12, 2008, 07:41 PM
The Scenario posted by the OP clearly indicates mobility. Why? Because at home I have many rifles/handguns/shotguns to choose from.

If I only have two, I am moving. That means the most important considerations are weight, food, water and health.

Very accurate scoped 22LR bolt action, with silencer and take down capability. And a 6" Ruger or Smith&Wesson in 357Mag. The revolver would have the ability for rapid mounting and dismounting of a scope.

Any thing out to a hundred yards I could hit with either. Carry enough ammo, and find more if needed.

My mission is stealth. Any carried weapon will make me a target for everyone out there. Conceal is the watch word. My rifle would be carried broken down.

My biggest concern will be food and water. Often depending on time of year and location, shelter too. And of course avoiding other people.

If I ever get into the type of firefight that I need an assault rifle, I have already lost my bid for survival.

Now what would change a lot of this is if there was a group of us. More carry capability, but more food & Water needed too. In the end, life is always about balance.

Place these scenarios at different times in your life. when your 18, 40, 70? Each case will change a lot of stuff. Where do you live? Where would you go?

Life would become very precarious and frankly "cheap" in this type scenario. Existence is much harder than winning a firefight.

Go figure.

Fred

Illuminaughty
February 13, 2008, 11:08 PM
AR or 1911 if you want a firearm to last a total of a week before breaking down utterly in a situation where you don't have access to maintenance supplies.

For real SHTF equipment, an AK or Glock is ideal. You don't take useless (AR) or pretty (1911) guns to war, you take efficient ones.

Gun Slinger
February 16, 2008, 08:48 PM
Pistol: Glock 17 9mm for the tasks that are "up close".

Rifle: Tikka T3 Stainless/Synthetic in .30-06 with a Leupold VX-II 4x12 scope for the tasks that are a bit "farther out".

Both are tough, "dishwasher safe" and use commonly available ammo.

GS

BENELLIMONTE
February 16, 2008, 11:40 PM
RRA .223 AR
Ruger MK3 .22 SS Hunter w Tactical Solutions silencer

kcw12
February 17, 2008, 12:27 AM
Well my SHTF scenario guns would be have to be my trusty 12 GA sxs and Lil 22 revolver i have. The shotgun can take the big game and the small game just find, and birds. And self defense situations, the shotgun would be enough defense for about anyone. Plus the interworkings are simple, and only require a little oil.

CPshooter
February 17, 2008, 05:07 AM
Give me an H&K rifle and an H&K handgun and I'd be set. MP7 and USPc or maybe P30. Maybe one day but back to reality... if I had to actually be able to go out and buy the guns right now and afford them, I'd say any solid 223 rifle w/ nice optics and probably an XD9. Affordable, and easily available ammo for both. Couldn't go wrong.

1911 guy
February 17, 2008, 07:34 AM
Alright, it's the end of the world and I can have only two firearms, one must be a handgun. O.K.

My handgun will be a Springfield 1911. Concealable if need be, powerful enough for what a handgun is for, and can be used to take medium sized game if I need to.

My rifle will be an AR with a .22LR conversion unit. Can be used to fend off the zombies, ammo is light and I can take small game with the .22 unit.

Aran
February 17, 2008, 09:07 AM
Beretta Neos and my Ruger 10/22.

You can carry thousands of rounds for them without weighing you down TOO much, compared to 9mm/.45/etc.

1200 meters
February 19, 2008, 09:55 AM
Just jumping in here. After reading the thread I see there is some questioning of 22LRs and then why only two Guns? 22LR is obvious (Many Many rounds), but not a pistol. A small semi auto. a Ruger 10/22 (lots of mags) or any of the tube loaded types and a couple of tube loaders. Pistol- revolver has less potential for breakage, but I would take a good semi auto (9 MM for ammo purposes).45 'cause I like it. Rifle- SKS, Mini 14 in 30 cal, AK (any), ARs,M-14 types, or any semi auto rifle of your choice. Bolt gun would be last choice only because potential volume of fire that may be needed. If you have room then a shotgun could be of great help in hard times.. Just my input. BLITZ

RNB65
February 19, 2008, 10:01 AM
Rem 870 and a .22LR bolt-action rifle. Simple is good and there probably won't be anyone around to fix a gun that breaks.
-

Dravur
February 19, 2008, 01:07 PM
try reading the book, "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. He is the writer of No Country for Old Men and Blood Meridian.

In this light hearted comedy, a boy and his father make their way down the road to the coast nine years after something happened. He actually carves fake bullets out of wood to use in his revolver so others cannot tell the gun only has one live bullet.

Read the book. It is very interesting and has a ton of laugh out loud parts.....

Kinda gives a whole new meaning to tactical wheelbarrow too.

CountGlockula
February 19, 2008, 01:21 PM
AK-47 & 9mm Glocks.

You can find ammo in the dead bodies and reload.

GunNut
February 19, 2008, 05:19 PM
Glock 17, 34 or 21sf for a handgun. An 870 police and a quality bolt action centerfire would do for me.

cornman
February 19, 2008, 05:54 PM
I would chose no gun if it was the "END". One reason for such a EOTW situation is the fact that people are too fearful of eachother. You want love and compassion in the World, then give it. Love your enemy, its the manly thing to do...

jgo296
February 19, 2008, 06:00 PM
lets see fully suppressed ruger 10/22 and a 10shot 22lr smithand wesson revolver literally thousands of rounds can be carried

Confederate
February 19, 2008, 06:19 PM
The only logical answer would be a stainless Ruger Security-Six. Packs a punch, easy to carry, can hunt half-roasted deer with 158-gr. JSP, self-defense with 125-gr. JHP and, actually, any .38 round you happen to find. My other weapon would be a Ruger 10/22 stainless or a Ruger Mark II/III standard or 5-inch bull barrel. Given the choice between the two pistols would be tough.

Urbana John
February 19, 2008, 07:01 PM
My two "go to guns" would be my beretta 92 9mm and my beretta Storm 9mm
Both take the same ammo and mags and I have MORE 9's loaded than I have 22LR's
But don't think I'll be going anywhere----too old-----I'd be better off staying put.
Got enough here to defend myself for a week or two-----What would I do with all the guns and ammo I couldn't take with me?????

UJ

Eyesac
February 19, 2008, 07:56 PM
AR15 + 22lr pistol (of any kind)

I can carry a lot of ammo in those two calibers, where something like a 12ga, I'd get tired of carrying 200rds for more than a day. I could carry 2k rounds of 22LR and feel no pain...

Cosmoline
February 19, 2008, 08:06 PM
I'd take my best Tikka M91 and strip the others for key parts

And my Speed Six, I suppose.

I've got others but those would be my main ones. And they are now, actually. In a bad situation the Tikka allows for repeated firing without ear protection but won't deafen me too much. It's enough rifle to be used as a very deadly weapon without ammo. And it's a lot more durable than a levergun.

Shotguns are wunderbar but the ammo is very bulky and runs out real fast. A .22 rifle has tons of ammo but of course not much power or persuasive ability.

We are all going to Mo. to live off the farms and elect Oleg President.

We don't have a President! This is an anarcho-syndicalist commune.

gcpd
February 19, 2008, 08:43 PM
My Glock 23 and my RRA AR-15.

TBT
February 19, 2008, 09:11 PM
Rem. 870 and an SW1911.

Huddog
February 19, 2008, 09:14 PM
Based on the scenerio as written, either an AR style weapon and a .22 pistol or a .22 rifle and a medium to large caliber handgun. Probably the first set though.

Tokugawa
February 19, 2008, 09:26 PM
An A-10 with the 30mm main gun and a few hellfire missiles should work ok......

ewayte
February 20, 2008, 10:18 PM
Ruger Blackhawk Convertible (.357 Magnum / 9mm) with 4 5/8" barrel.

ewayte
February 20, 2008, 10:24 PM
Ruger Blackhawk Convertible (.357 Magnum / 9mm) with 4 5/8" barrel.

CWL
February 20, 2008, 11:02 PM
Depends on where I'd live, plains or mountainous.

870 shotgun + .22lr pistol; or

.22 bolt rifle + 1911

MarshallDodge
February 20, 2008, 11:24 PM
AR-15 in a carbine format...M-4, CAR, etc. and a 1911 for a sidearm.

lwrnc1963
February 21, 2008, 12:03 AM
M1A and 1911A1

shooter3435
February 21, 2008, 12:16 AM
AR-15 or AK-47 variants and my very dependable G-17

Just Jim
February 21, 2008, 09:40 AM
I guess for a handgun I would want a 1911 in 45acp and a 22 conversion kit.

jj

Intrepid Dad
February 21, 2008, 08:08 PM
I would chose no gun if it was the "END". One reason for such a EOTW situation is the fact that people are too fearful of eachother. You want love and compassion in the World, then give it. Love your enemy, its the manly thing to do...

I'm all for loving my enemy. But just in case he doesn't love me back I'd choose my Bushmaster M4A3 .223 and my Springfield XD 9mm. In an end of the world situation, ammo will be at a premium and I'd like to have two very common calibers.

sammyspizza
February 21, 2008, 08:12 PM
i would take my ak and a sig p226 9mm. best pistol on earth.

Dravur
February 27, 2008, 11:14 PM
An A-10 with the 30mm main gun and a few hellfire missiles should work ok......

For what? Prairie Dogs?

SATX man
February 27, 2008, 11:25 PM
Me Marlin 30/30 and a .22 wife 9MM sig 229, 12 GA shottie

diesel83
February 27, 2008, 11:33 PM
An AR-15 in .223 and a Beretta 9MM only because the ammo, magazines and parts are ubiquitous.

Titan6
February 28, 2008, 03:21 PM
Allow me to rephrase the title…..Gun for the total collapse of the American government, economy, and basically the whole society as we know it due to an apocalyptic event in which you have to live the rest of your life scrounging for food…..any better?

Whoa. The postman arises. This changes things. A .22 revolver and an 870 12 gauge. Everyone knows that.

tecrsq
February 28, 2008, 09:21 PM
My AR15 and my GLOCK.

Simple choice actually given the 2 gun minimum.

guntotinguy
February 28, 2008, 09:29 PM
My RRA Entry Tactical AR-15 (or my SLR-107CR AK)and my S&W 1911 PD

Patrick_Henry
February 28, 2008, 10:03 PM
Hmmm...

Me:
Ak47 variant, reason: good for self defense, mild hunting use, if only the United States has gone down than most foreign armies attempting to take advantage of the situation would be put down rather quickly.

Ruger .357, reason: takes .357/38 useful for self defense mostly, but .357 can be used to hunt if necessary.

Wife: Saiga 12, good for self defense and all types of hunting. and another Ruger .357.

I have lots of gun toting friends near by and they are going to provide all of the 22lrs and various other necessary weapons. Heck I'll supply some of them if need be :) Then we all run like heck for somewhere so remote that only THR members and crazed hippies will be able to reach it. The THR members and I will easy take control from the Hippies and begin rebuilding the country.

boots
February 28, 2008, 11:11 PM
we need a password to let each other know that we are a member of THR so that we don't shoot each other...

Titan6
February 29, 2008, 08:43 AM
we need a password to let each other know that we are a member of THR so that we don't shoot each other...

Anything but "Brains" should be fine.

Joe Demko
February 29, 2008, 08:57 AM
Webley-Vickers 50.80 is absolutely the only choice for scenarios like this.

mjb
March 4, 2008, 10:03 AM
my Glock 20 name is Doomsday My Yugo AK47 with underfolding stock name is Armegeddon. That is why I have them.

magiccarpetrides
March 4, 2008, 12:51 PM
You name your weapons? Lol....I dont need people thinking im any crazier then they already do.

ArchAngelCD
March 5, 2008, 12:49 AM
I didn't real all 5 pages but I would say a good pump 12 shotgun and a .357 Magnum revolver would be best.

subierex
March 5, 2008, 07:35 PM
Long barreled .22lr pistol, Rem 870 12ga.

TimboKhan
March 5, 2008, 08:01 PM
If it were the apocalypse, I would ride into the Thunderdome quite happily with a Mosin Nagant. I know that there are better, faster firearms around, but the Mosin offers the best combination of simple and powerful there is. Plus, ammo is easy to buy ready to cache. If I could have two, I would add a .22 of some sort to that list, probably a .22 handgun so as to make carrying it and the mosin around at the same time easier.

If it weren't apocalyptic, just sort of bad, I would probably go with my AR, and a bunch of loaded mags.

trinydex
March 6, 2008, 12:41 AM
in a shtf scenario you got a few factors that pressure your choices. availability of ammo and availability of spare parts. in the world of just on time delivery it's no longer easy to find bulk ammunitions in stores, and even when you do find it it is for few very popular calibers. people of course have their own stockpiles but if you're to endure the times, you may have to do some searching or you end up with a lotta metal clubs.

in those cases 9mm wins for pistols even tho it's not the best round. 223/308 or 30-06 kinda run the race for centerfire.

22lr wins for killing two birds with one stone but i don't know how many people trust their life to a 22.

glock 17 is the most common pistol in america i think, at least as far as law enforcement agencies are concerned. and for private gun owners 1911s far outnumber anything else, but aren't 9mm for the most part. ar15 variant is the most common evil rifle. i'm sure people will come up with other things now.

something else to consider is that even though moder society would be crushed and debilitated, the physical capital and infrastructure will likely still exist, unless we have a war where munitions and other types of manufacturing places are destroyed. so it's not gonna be hopeless, just difficult.

domesticated animals will likely be freed, many will die because they are sustained in artificially high numbers but that doesn't mean they'll all die...

rkamp
March 6, 2008, 01:52 AM
If you want to read a good book about what it would be like to survive in a post nuclear war winter, read Cormac McCarthys' "The Road". Same guy who wrote "No country for Old Men". No need to base your weapon selection primarily for hunting. AK or AR variant for me and my LW Kimber Pro Carry 9mm pistol.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.6a47e67efb.jpg (http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?6a47e67efb.jpg)

leathermanwave
March 6, 2008, 12:06 PM
ruger m77 .270 win, Glock 40, Browning buck-mark with subsonic ammo and silencer.

Barker45
March 8, 2008, 12:20 AM
For me it's gotta be 3 guns:
Remington 660 in .308 (lightweight carbine, very accurate, back-up iron sights), Ruger SS 4" Police service-six in .357 (rugged, simple, versitile), and finally a SS S&W 63 4" adjustable sights in 22lr (small game getter). I believe this to be a very versitile trio, able to hunt and/or fight as the situation dictates.

Honorable mention: Colt AR-15, Bulgarian AK, Marlin 336, CZ 452 scout, remington 870

If you enjoyed reading about "gun for the end of the world" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!