WASR-10 AK "alteration"

PDA

Patrick Henry
February 10, 2008, 09:50 AM
I have a WASR-10 that evidently was made during the "assault weapons ban" because it comes with the ground-down bayonet lug which has been welded in place. (I really don't know when it was made, I am assuming.) I really would like to have a muzzle break on it. Would it be illegal to remove the present attachment and add a muzzle break? (I know you are not all lawyers, I am simply asking for opinions.)

I also read though that this model has no threads. If that's the case then would have to buy an entirely new barrel which is threaded, and would that be OK?

If you enjoyed reading about "WASR-10 AK "alteration"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JWarren
February 10, 2008, 10:10 AM
I had a SAR-1 just like you described.

After the AWB expired, I had the barrel threaded by a friend. The only thing is that there wasn't a retaining pin. I indexed it with a washer and lock-tite'd it on.

Worked fine.

EDIT: I just saw you are in Germany. I don't know the laws in Germany, and the US '94 AWB would not have affected you. Don't take my word for what the law is in Germany.

-- John

Z71
February 10, 2008, 11:29 AM
My new WASR has the bayonet mount ground down, also lacks the muzzle brake doo-dad.

I just bought it in November last year.

Patrick Henry
February 10, 2008, 01:38 PM
I just saw you are in Germany. I don't know the laws in Germany, and the US '94 AWB would not have affected you. Don't take my word for what the law is in Germany.

Yeah actually Germans can own almost any gun an American can -- albeit with full gun registration and a gun owner's permit (which you can obtain after a psychaitrist certifies you are not crazy for wanting to own a gun :uhoh:) However AKs and clones are specifically banned.

I have all my guns in the US (I am American), I was just looking forward to doing something to the rifle when I get back (I am also worried such rifles or attachments could become illegal under the next president.)

Hoppy590
February 10, 2008, 04:33 PM
My new WASR has the bayonet mount ground down, also lacks the muzzle brake doo-dad.

I just bought it in November last year.

they still make ban style rifles for the states with bans, such as MA. i got one in november aswell and its a ban style

W.E.G.
February 10, 2008, 04:54 PM
Sure, unless the law of your state says otherwise, you can put whatever you want on the muzzle.

You're gonna need to thread the muzzle for the new muzzle device. Unless you are just dying to have a "slant-brake" (only useful for full-auto fire), you might consider threading the muzzle for a Vortex device, which will actually mitigate muzzle flash.

The only clean way I can see to add a bayonet lug is to replace the entire front sight base. I see http://www.armsofamerica.com/ak47barrelsparts/barrels.html lists used front sight bases for $15. I haven't bought from them, so I can't vouch for condition or availability. A Google search didn't turn up anything else.

Patrick Henry
February 11, 2008, 11:45 AM
You're gonna need to thread the muzzle for the new muzzle device. Unless you are just dying to have a "slant-brake" (only useful for full-auto fire), you might consider threading the muzzle for a Vortex device, which will actually mitigate muzzle flash.

Nah, actually I wanted to keep the muzzle flash for the intimidation factor. :D

But seriously I have heard that the slant brake (the standard military issue design) is the only one that is effective (for reducing muzzle climb). And that's mainly the reason I want it, for reducing muzzle climb.

If you enjoyed reading about "WASR-10 AK "alteration"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!