How about them 6.8spc prices??!!

PDA

Mattole
February 10, 2008, 03:27 PM
I was contemplating the purchase of a Ruger Mini-14 in 6.8spc, but after seeing that the prices for ammo all seem to be about a buck a round, I think I'll pass. Why so pricey and is there a break in store in the future?

If you enjoyed reading about "How about them 6.8spc prices??!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HorseSoldier
February 10, 2008, 03:37 PM
6.8 Rem SPC isn't a plinking round, cost wise, unless you reload. Cost is comparatively high because there's no military surplus, not mountains of brass for remanufactured/factory reloaded ammo like Black Hills and Georgia Arms and some other producers put out, and it's still a fairly uncommon round.

I don't see that getting much better in the near term. When Wolf started making 6.5 Grendel, it improved the price on that round, but even then did not bring it down to 5.56mm or 7.62x39 levels (at least for cheap range type ammo -- less of a price differential on premium ammo).

ArmedBear
February 10, 2008, 03:53 PM
It's a sub-short-action medium game hunting round that competes with the 7mm-08, .270, etc., but it's far less common. You can shoot it from an AR, but it occupies a totally different market niche from the .223, which has become the centerfire .22LR in terms of popularity and use, if not in price.:)

Zak Smith
February 10, 2008, 10:05 PM
I think you can get ammo for closer to $0.80/round now, and 5.56 prices are still on an upward slope towards that cost also. Everything's going up.

If you enjoyed reading about "How about them 6.8spc prices??!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!