YES OR NO for Bushnell Banner

PDA

hsiddall
February 10, 2008, 03:46 PM
Lookng at them for a .223 Rem bolt gun...Not exactly precieion bench rest yet but just poking around at 100yds. Rifle in? is a Howa 1500 Pillar bedded and free floated in te Hogue OD stock...Bone stock out of the box for now...I will be sending my XD .45 in for custom work at SA and then action blueprinting on my 700P along with some hand lapping and then maybe I will put some coin into accurising the Howa...It's just a fun gun or toy, Well in a sense arent they all. :evil:

PS FOr those that may be wound a little too tight here dont cut my junk off for saying guns are toys. Myself and all my friends as well as family treat guns with pure safety and respect...

If you enjoyed reading about "YES OR NO for Bushnell Banner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Magnuumpwr
February 10, 2008, 05:29 PM
IMO, the bushnell banner 6-18x50 is just fine for up to 200 yds using a 223. I have one on my Savage 112FV in 223 and also have one on my Win. Mod. 70 Classic Laredo 300 win mag.

degen118
February 10, 2008, 06:10 PM
I had one for about a year and they are ok. I sold mine. But you can do much better for the $$. Go to opticstalk.com for info. Tell them what amount you plan on spending and you will get some good advice from those guys.

hsiddall
February 10, 2008, 06:21 PM
Degen,
What would you recommend for under 125.00?

degen118
February 10, 2008, 06:42 PM
Go to mizzoumuleguns.com These people are hunters in Alaska and MO. Check out the Mueller 4.5-14x40 AO rifle scope on their web site. Free sunshade and I believe free shipping. Check out the reviews. Check out Muellers web site. Anyway's you will see they are on vacation and will be back Monday 11th. Call them and ask about these scopes. They are getting a following on opticstalk.com For the price you want to pay and for that .223 it's just the ticket.

degen118
February 10, 2008, 06:55 PM
I just wanted to add that I plan on buying one of those scopes in the very near future.

Run&Shoot
February 10, 2008, 07:11 PM
there probably are equal r better scope for the money. But, just for your reference, our family has had a Banner model 3x9 scope on a .308 and .30-06 for the last 45 years. They both function fine, have never lost zero, have had thousands of rounds shot, and been hauled through the heavy wet brush of the Pacific Northwest as well as the dust and then snow of the eastern part of Washington State.

They may not be the best, but I still have them on the family hunting rifle and see no reason to replace them yet. My new rifles get Nikons or Leupolds, but the old timers do just fine with Banners.

v8stang289
February 10, 2008, 07:16 PM
I have a Bushnell Banner dusk and dawn 3-9 X 50 on my Rem 700 in .270win. I paid $85 dollars for it about 4.5 years ago. The .270 is mainly a deer rifle with only a couple hundred rounds through it since the Banner has been mounted. I havent had to re zero the scope since it was mounted and it has good light transmission and is very clear. For the money I think they are very good scopes. Just my $.02

George Hill
February 10, 2008, 07:21 PM
No. Heck no. NO!

bogie
February 10, 2008, 07:23 PM
Good scope deals can be had - look at used Weavers, etc... Good glass, built like tanks.

Sightron also makes nice scopes.

A Leupold will last your lifetime.

Buy the best, and cry once.

February 10, 2008, 07:26 PM
Bushnell scopes in the Legend or Trophy series are much better IHMO.

vmfrantz
February 10, 2008, 07:37 PM
Just wanted to say that snipercentral has a good review on the mueller scopes. Also several other brands.

MIL-DOT
February 10, 2008, 08:22 PM
A while ago i was researching scopes for a .308 Remington 700 PSS
( settled on a Leupold MK 4 PR mil-dot). But one scope i leaned toward,and would probably buy today if i was scoping another rifle on any kind of budget, was the bushnell elite 3200 mil-dot. From everything i read, these are the best of the Bushnells (according to some, the only Bushnells worth buying). Again,according to what i dug up, the Elite line is actually the old (and highly regarded) Bausch and Lomb stuff that Bushnell bought out. Other than these, i agree with the above posters that said you can do better for the money.Put your google-fu to the test,grasshopper !!!

jhansman
February 10, 2008, 08:36 PM
Negative on the Banner. Put your $$ into better glass. I put a Mueller Eraticator on my Savage Model 12 .223 and have no regrets. Mueller is one of the best kept secrets (and values) in gun glass.

asknight
February 10, 2008, 08:47 PM
NO

I'm now on the third Banner 4-12x40AO within 1.5 years that's been replaced under warranty each time without question by Bushnell. I can't trust it, and can't sell it in good faith either. :barf::uhoh:

Magnuumpwr
February 10, 2008, 09:06 PM
Just to clarify things, which power Banner scope are you interested in getting?

MIL-DOT
February 10, 2008, 09:24 PM
I'm researching scopes for a new air rifle,and ran accross this thread at a air rifle-related forum.....that's AIR-rifle forum !!

View previous topic :: View next topic
Cyclops
Marksman

City, State: Beirut
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:41 pm Post subject: Scope question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Bushnell Banner Dusk&Dawn 3-9x40mm broke today:cry: , im using it with my TF89 contender .177 ... the front lens got loose and it's rotating...
i removed it and lock tite it...it's solid now but the lens coating is screwed...i had to remove it all...
so..u think it's worth keeping it? it can affect the accuracy? and..do i need a new scope?

cheers..

Sergeant Sabre
February 10, 2008, 10:19 PM
When I worked for Gander Mountain I sold boatloads of the Banner shotgun scope (1.5-5x, is it? I don't remember...). I admit the brightness leaves something to be desired, but I'm not aware of a customer ever bringing one back broken.

MCgunner
February 10, 2008, 11:00 PM
I have a 1.5x4.5x22 Banner and I absolutely LOVE that thing. Don't have it on a big rifle right now. It's done duty on a 7x57, a SKS and is now on a .22. It's never given me a problem. Yes, it's not a bright scope. It's a 22mm reticle compact. That scope is still kickin' and about 20 years old now.

I've got a banner 4x12x40 with BDC on my .257. I will eventually replace it with a Weaver. I have a Weaver on my .308 and love it. The 4x12 Banner is okay, just gets a little fuzzy above 10x and I don't like the power of it, prefer the Weaver's 2x10 power. The BDC is very repeatable and it's a strong scope, about 25 years old now. I don't know how the scope would hold up on a big caliber gun. The .257 doesn't have a lot of recoil. But, that scope has fired quite a few rounds.

I took a cheap 3x9x32 Bushnell Sportview off my 7 mag and stuck a Simmons whitetail on it thinking I was upgrading. I'd killed deer with the Sportview, never gave me a problem. That Simmons came unglued on me and cost me a deer. That gun now wears a Weatherby Supreme and I'll never, ever make the mistake of buying a Simmons again. Even the cheap Bushnell beats the hell out of a 150 dollar Simmons. I sent the Simmons off and got it fixed, put it on the .22 rimfire. So far, the .22 hasn't torn it up, but probably a matter of time. :rolleyes:

rangerruck
February 10, 2008, 11:01 PM
Banners are a good scope, especially the dusk/dawn series. And the dude above, in the blog that wrote he used it on a airrifle? Shame on him, you cannot use a regular type scope on a air rifle, without blowing it apart.

9mmepiphany
February 10, 2008, 11:43 PM
you can if you move up to at least a Burris

MCgunner
February 10, 2008, 11:50 PM
Air rifles, by the way they're designed, put some sort of odd negative G on a scope somehow that a high powered rifle scope is not designed to handle, Burris or no. Don't ruin a nice, high priced scope by mounting it on an air rifle. At least don't say you weren't warned. I read a write up some years ago where they tested some special air rifle scope against a Leupold and the Leupold broke. This was the explanation they gave. I don't have a modern air rifle, but they're talking about those piston types, not the pump ups like my old Benjamin.

280shooter
February 11, 2008, 12:42 AM
Right You dont put reg scopes on Air Rifles,I have a RWS.I bought that in 1980,mod.45,that ws the top,almost 1000 fps,I put a reg.kind of scope on it,it blew up in side..So no the air guns have that heavy spring that pushes air from back to forwards,its dif,then a high power rifle,that drives the stock in to your shoulder,it has a hell of a lot of G force,If u shoot one them air gun that uses the air cart, you should be ok,no recoil to speak of,

asknight
February 11, 2008, 01:21 AM
The 4-12x40AO (all three of them) that I've had so much trouble with has the same exact problem as the air rifle guy with the objective lens loosening and shaking around. I didn't realize this at first until I'd wasted almost a whole box of ammo trying to figure out if it was bases, rings, rifle, or the scope at fault. The symptom was wandering zero, or unable to zero in the first place. My adjustment clicks were totally randomized. If I clicked UP 2MOA, my POI shift might go 4MOA RIGHT, etc. Annoying to the extreme.

The first one developed the problem within 5 rounds on a Howa .308, with the rest of the box of ammo spent trying to nail down the problem. The next one was put on a Rem 700 .223, and the third one I'm on now has been mounted on the .308, but I'm debating on whether to even waste any ammo on trying to see if it will work.

454c
February 11, 2008, 02:40 AM
I've got a 6-18 Banner. The adj. are iffy and it flares pretty bad. It'll probably get replaced with a Leupold.

Shawnee
February 11, 2008, 08:49 AM
No. :cool:

Don't Tread On Me
February 11, 2008, 08:50 AM
$125 is tight budget.

I'd say a Weaver. They have some options in that price range. There's also the Nikon Prostaff, which has probably the best optical quality in that price range.

Beyond that, there's Burris. Find a used one. I know that I've seen (and I personally sold) a barely used practically new 3-9-40x FFII for $130. That price can be found.

The only cheap scopes I like are the Simmons WTC and the ATV (no longer sold). I have an ATV, but they still sell the WTC and it is pretty good. Decent quality for budget scope. Banners and the others fall a notch down in my opinion. BSA, Leapers, Simmons and Bushnell all sell $30-$70 scopes that are just not worth it at all. Weaver, Nikon in the low $100's are much, much better choices.

There's one other option. That is to look on SWFA's sample list website. They have used scopes and factory refurbs that carry some warranty. You can find some decent scopes there. I'd MUCH rather have a FFII, Buckmaster, or something along that lines than an el-cheapo blister pack scope.

I'm fond of fixed power scopes, so I'm not saying this because I like fixed - BUT, especially in the cheaper range, the fixed power scopes tend to be more clear. The KISS principle applies here. A fixed version of a particular brand/line will be better than the variable with AO and whatnot. All these adjustments lead to more flaws due to sloppy tolerances. That leads to more blur and distortion. This isn't the case on high end scopes where the quality and construction are top notch.

That being said, I'd be far more effective with a fixed 6x Weaver than I would be with a lesser brand that has 18x which looks like looking through a fish bowl. That is how many of those scopes are. More magnification is not necessarily better.

HTH

ojibweindian
February 11, 2008, 11:11 AM
Nope. Nada. Nyet. Nine. Non.

The Banner I had (a 4-12x40 AO) went belly-up in a hurry.

If you've got a limited budget, I'd suggest something used, a fixed power Weaver, or save your pennies and get something a bit better. The Bushnell Legend is pretty good, and about $75 over your current budget.

BUTCHER45
March 25, 2008, 08:33 PM
Whoever said you can't put a regular scope on an air rifle is only half right, so half-shame on him!

You need an air-rifle specific scope for SPRINGER air rifles due to their reverse recoil. That is true. Stepping up to a higher end regular scope on a springer will just give you a higher-priced broken scope.

Now if you step over to "the dark side" and get a PC (pre-charged pneaumatic) then a regular scope is just fine as there is no reverse recoil with those.

For a PCP I would recommend a rimfire type scope that doesn't have paralax issues at the ranges they are used (usually under 100 yards but some guys take long shots and kill rabbits at over 125 yards with them).

BAT1
March 25, 2008, 10:22 PM
Check out the Sightron 3x9x42. 200.00 at Midway. If your local gun store has access to the Shooters Edge line, my 4x12x40 AO was 69.00. It has not lost zero on my Stevens .308.

jpwilly
March 26, 2008, 12:55 AM
No No No

If your in the Banner price range look through a Nikon!

If you enjoyed reading about "YES OR NO for Bushnell Banner" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!