Opinions on a few lockbacks

PDA

packarat
February 10, 2008, 08:25 PM
So I have a gift card from Bass Pro. The closest location is easily 1 hour + away. The combination of gas and my laziness has moved me to buying a lockback at the Bass Pro online store.

I would like some opinions on the few selections I am considering below. I'm looking at quality, appearance and the ability to remain sharp with casual use. Currently I carry a Buck 110 in the coin pocket of my jeans, when I can.

I would like something a bit longer that I can clip in a pocket. The assisted opening feature is attractive, but I'm not sure if it is included in these selections. Another feature I like is the look of a wooden handle. This is what I have been looking at but by no means are they requirements.

The few I have chosen should keep me within my budget, including shipping. If there is another model on this site you would recommend for around the same price or lower I would consider those as well.

Browning® Damascus Folding Knife
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_95834_400013002_400000000_400013000_400-13-2

Buck® Alpha Dorado Folding Knife
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_65416_400013002_400000000_400013000_400-13-2

Buck® Alpha Hunter™ Folding Knives - Drop Point
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_40592_400013002_400000000_400013000_400-13-2

Gerber® Freeman Folder Knives - Drop Point
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_55558_400013002_400000000_400013000_400-13-2

Kershaw® Ken Onion Design Folding Knife - Storm
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_69236_400013002_400000000_400013000_400-13-2

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on a few lockbacks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
packarat
February 12, 2008, 12:55 AM
First I apologize for the bump. I don't want to seem impatient, but I have this $100 dollar gift card eating it's way through my wallet :).

I'm a novice when it comes to features of knives these days. My only respectable knives are Bucks and I have never left this line of knife except for the occasional wicked or tacticool. I don't do this for any practical reason just for "aint that cool I gotta have one" sense of fufillment. Having the odd type of knife has always given me glee :D.

My Buck 110 is 8 years old and I am looking for a replacement that can hold another 8 to 10 years. All I'm looking for is if any of these options, or others on the Bass Pro site, can replace my good ole' Buck.

At this time I'm looking for for something practical that has a bit of class to it.

eliphalet
February 12, 2008, 01:03 AM
For about a 100 bucks you can have a Buck 110 made at their custom shop.

http://www.buckknives.com/custom_knife_shoppe.php#

I have been a Buck fan for years because of quality and customer service which is top notch. Had them fix or repair a knife or two I had damaged.
Only had one Gerber, got it about 1972 or thereabouts when they introduced their folding hunter, like Bucks 110 only thinner. The steel was crap and the lock let go cutting me seriously. Haven't bought one since.
Bucks locks have always worked great, at least for me.

james_bond
February 12, 2008, 01:22 AM
I think the pocket clip is a wounderful carry option. of the blades you had on your list all were like the classic 110 in that they were big (generaly pouch carried) and have no clip, save the Kershaw storm it has a clip, but is not assisited like many other Onion designs.

off the top of my head I cannot think of a single wood handled folder with a pocket clip, they are out I am sure but not many of them. a blade longer than the 3.75 inch 110, is gonna be a big knife and that is fine but there are many I cary a 4 inch folder all the time. I see bass pro shop dose n't carry them, but spydercos are a top of the line knife and many at a great price. On the bass pro shop site there is a few great knives from Benchmade, none as long as you want but great knives that will last a long time. also their Kershaw blackout or blur are great options both with the assisted opening.I hoped my rambelings helped some.

packarat
February 12, 2008, 02:16 AM
eliphalet - Great link I'm going have to consider this for the future. Unfortunately I have the present budget of this un-used gift card. I too have always been with the Buck for the fact that it locks so well.

James Bond - Always appreciate rambleings...thanks for some schooling on the knives I have considered. I considered the Kershaw Blur but was worried that the Black blade would wear overtime. One question, how does this knife hold it's edge?

Please let me digress...I think I have the 110 on my mind and may look to make this a future purchase. I actually have a 112 Ranger next time I will pay a bit more attention to what I actually have, instead of what I want. So far it has been a great knife and I have even spent the last half an hour going through my sharpening routine.

Maybe I'm fickle but I might be looking at an everyday carry that is longer than 3", with a pocket clip and slim enough that I can carry in my front pocket. Possibly a more modern design. Oh and a fine edge, I have a saw for any serrational needs :)

Thanks again...

hso
February 12, 2008, 07:19 AM
packrat,

What will you use it for? Wood implies a dressier knife more than a farm/field knife.

packarat
February 12, 2008, 10:20 PM
I am looking for something a bit dressier. Everyday use really; opening packages at work, cutting through the multitudes of packaging of gifts for the kids and general carry that doesn't scream evil uber weapon if I take it out at a company picnic to open a package of hot dogs.

james_bond
February 13, 2008, 11:53 PM
hey Mr Packarat, sorry just checked this thread again.

Of course your blade's edge rentention will depend on the steel and its heat treat quality, (with VERY FEW execptions you get what you pay for), but what are you gonna cut with you knife? Opening mail and cutting threads of your clothes will differ from skining a deer and wood-chopping I imagine the factory edge will stay sharp up to a few weeks, then it matters how sharp you want it and how often you are willing to sit down and sharpen it, will be the deterniming factor. The black coating is tough stuff and will not wear away on "soft" things until you use it a little bit hardder (like on wood or metal) I understand your desire to avoid the "hitman" looking knives. and suggest that an all metal design is very classic and nonttactical, and people like shiney things. like this one for example.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_55552_400013002___400-13-2

again hope this helped and let us know what you get.

ArfinGreebly
February 14, 2008, 01:52 AM
That's a pretty hefty knife.

Blade is the better part of 4" long, closed it's like 5" or so.

And you want something BIGGER?

Hmmm. Well. Let me think.

I like the Buck 298 (in 154CM), but that's slightly smaller.

Hmmm.

I like the Lone Wolf U.S. 45, but THAT is smaller, too.

I'm strikin' out here.

Bigger?

Even the Kershaw Storm and Blur are smaller.

Ahh, heck.

Me? I think something the size of a Buck 110 or Kershaw 3140 or Blur/Storm is about as big a knife as I'd contemplate for EDC, but then I'm a wuss.

What I actually DO carry daily is a Leatherman Wave. And a Kershaw Leek. And a Gerber Silver knight. At the same time. And recently I've been contemplating switching the Gerber for a Case Sodbuster Jr, so I've been carrying that in another pocket. Four knives? What kind of sick, twisted character carries four knives? (BTW, I fear sentiment may win, and I may stay with the Silver Knight. After 25 years in my pocket, I'm kinda fond of the little guy.)

I should ask my friend, Hal. He's got a CRKT that he really likes. Big and chunky, but he carries it every day.

Wish I could be more help.

packarat
February 14, 2008, 10:26 PM
Mr Bond, I'm not completely against an all metal knife. However the one you are recommending doesn't really fit my style. The slits or design on the handle kind of throw me off. Now if it had a smooth and polished design I would be all over it.

Mr Greebly, Sorry I should have made it a bit more appearent, but above I confessed to making a mistake. My main carry knife is a buck 112 ranger, 3" blade. It's a perfect size for what I need to cut. I was just thinking a 3 1/2" blade, possibly wider blade and/or thinner handle might be more productive to carry.

I appreciate everyones response. I have what you would call a bunch of junk knives purchased just because. I wanted to make this gift card count and buy something that I could show off. In the future I may be able to buy something I could also brag about; $400 dollar purchase made of super steel, forged by fairies and can actually cut air :evil:. I'm just not there yet.

I guess what I'm looking for is something light, that has less handle than a Buck and is as well built as a Buck. Did I mention I am fickle :D

Please don't take me too seriously, I just live to have fun...:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Opinions on a few lockbacks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!