Ammo problem in my Bushmaster

PDA

davepool
February 10, 2008, 10:08 PM
I have a Bushmaster 20" Target model and recently purchased some bosnian 62 grain green tip penetrator ammo, after about 20 rounds i start to experience FTEs to the point i have punch the empty shell out of the chamber with my cleaning rod, has anyone else tried this ammo or had similar problems?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo problem in my Bushmaster" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KC&97TA
February 10, 2008, 10:11 PM
My guess, the Bushy is chambered for .223, and I'd assume the green tip is nato 5.56mm. The 2 are not interchangeable like many seem to think.

There are 3 different chamberings common to AR15's
-5.56mm
-wyle <-- or something to that effect

Magnuumpwr
February 10, 2008, 10:27 PM
Did you buy this rifle new or used? If new the left side of your receiver will tell all. Does it say 223-5.56mm or just 223?

davepool
February 10, 2008, 10:40 PM
Bought it new, its chambered in .223-5.56

I have a Kel Tec PLR-16 also and this ammo does the same thing in it; it's made by "Igman" in bosnia

stubbicatt
February 10, 2008, 11:22 PM
Sounds like you have an ammo issue. Does the rifle work properly with other ammo?

HOLY DIVER
February 10, 2008, 11:25 PM
i'd umm switch ammo.....try shooting the ammo in a bolt gun?just to get rid of it?i got ahold of some 223 that would not shoot in my mini14 or AR but my old savage 223 bolt gun shoots and groups just fine with it....in an AR-15 i've found remm. umc shoots the best for the price

W.E.G.
February 10, 2008, 11:38 PM
My guess, the Bushy is chambered for .223

Not even remotely likely.

davepool
February 10, 2008, 11:40 PM
Yea that's what i'm thinking also, it's the ammo, all of the other ammo i've used works fine, guess i'm stuck with 400 rnds of junk. The guy that sold it said Igman was the only european manufacturer licensed to make ammo for the U.S. military

W.E.G.
February 10, 2008, 11:41 PM
Take a close look at the case rims.

I haven't used the specific ammo you mentioned, but I have seen eastern bloc ammo that had case heads that were visibly out of round, causing FTE issues because there simply was not sufficient case rim for the extractor to grab.

davepool
February 11, 2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks ,i'll check that. I'ts fairly decent ammo other wise, i have shot 3" 10 rnd groups at 100 yards with it. I've read that i can change the extractor or spring to grab deeper into the rim...think that might help?

SMLE
February 11, 2008, 02:27 AM
My new Bushie has short stroke issues with the IG ammo. I took it out today and clean and well lubed, it was a bolt action with the IG stuff. It works fine with PMC and Rem UMC 55grn stuff. I'm going to try to get hold of some US LC M855 and see how it likes that.

And don't even bother trying Wolf, you'll be banging the buttstock on the deck while pulling the charging handle to get that s**t out.

C-grunt
February 11, 2008, 05:43 AM
+1 on the Wolf. I still have like 60 rounds left that I have to fire with a single round in the mag.

briansmithwins
February 11, 2008, 11:56 AM
$0.25 fix to try if cleaning the extractor doesn't work.

Go to Ace hardware and buy an o-ring that will just fit over the extractor spring. It should make reinstalling the extractor a pain, but will increase spring tension on the extractor. This has the same effect as the 'D-Fender' but costs X50 less.

I run Wolff extra power extractor springs with black inserts and o-rings on our ARs. I don't have FTEx even with crappy Wolf. I'm of the school of thought that you can't have too much extractor force in a Stoner system rifle. BSW

Rifleman 173
February 14, 2008, 01:57 AM
A couple of things...

#1. First try lubing the rifle and bolt real good. Some AR rifles will occasionally begin to have FTE and FTF problems if they are dirty and/or not heavily lubed.

#2. Try different ammo. If different ammo works then your rifle may be what is known as "ammo sensitive." Your rifle may only work well with certain types of ammo or it may not work with one particular type of ammo. Try different boxes of different ammo and keep a written record of what does and does not work for your rifle.

#3. If your rifle has under 1,000 rounds fired through it, the rifle may still need "breaking in." Some guns need to have a certain amount of ammo cycled through them to help the metal parts mesh into a good, functional system. My first Bushmaster would not shoot Wolf ammo without failing to feed the next round. I must have tried 30 rounds with 30 jams in it. For some reason my Bushmaster would shoot South African ammo without a hitch. After I put about 500+ rounds of South African through it, my Bushmaster then began to work with Wolf ammo. Since that time, I have put over 4,000+ rounds of Wolf through it without a problem. When you get through shooting, make sure that you clean your rifle very carefully too, especially if you do shoot Wolf through it.

#4. If you continue to have trouble, get your rifle back to the manufacturer for repair work or get it to a good gunsmith. If possible, I would use the manufacturer for repair work first. Keep in mind that any time you use a gunsmith to fix a problem with your rifle you will probably be voiding any manufacturer's guarantees for repairs because most of the manufacturers don't like "outsiders" fixing their rifles.

CWL
February 14, 2008, 03:53 AM
Sounds like badly out-of-spec ammo.

I've experienced the exact same problem with this junk but with a live round locked-up halfway in my chamber so tight that it needed to be punched-out with a dowel. Believe me, it wasn't fun removing a live round out of a barrel (had to push-in the bullet, pour out the propellant before whacking away at the brass.)

jrfoxx
February 14, 2008, 05:36 AM
Agreed that it does sound like its the ammo.Strange, as I have only ever heard good things from people abought the Igman green tip.Before you just give up on the ammo and dump it, or sell it at a loss or something, try the other battle pack (I'm assuming thats how it came, mine did, and its the only way Ive personally ever seen the Igman green tip packaged.).maybe you just got a fluke bad lot?

Onmilo
February 14, 2008, 09:55 AM
I saw some advertisement where the Bosnian stuff was promoted as almost NATO but didn't meet the velocity standards.
There may be more to it than that little suggestion.

My experience on ammunition coming out of the former com-bloc nations is that it tends to run to the large side of tolerence dimensions.
The stuff would most likely run just fine in a Bulgarian or Russian AK type rifle.
Not so good in an AR.

dodge
February 14, 2008, 10:36 AM
I've never had any problems with Wolf in my Stag Model 3 even before I upgraded the extractor internals. I've use both the new polymer and laquer finish. I've done mag dumps and still no problem. Granted not he most accurate in the world but it has always worked for me. Sounds like it's an ammo problem with the Igman is sightly underpowered or you need to upgrade your extractor internals.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo problem in my Bushmaster" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!